POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Zevachim 117
ZEVACHIM 116-117 - these Dafim have been dedicated anonymously l'Iluy
Nishmas Tzirel Nechamah bas Tuvya Yehudah by her family.
1) THE "MACHANOS" IN "SHILO"
(a) (Beraisa - R. Shimon): There was a fourth Machaneh, Ezras
Nashim, one who entered b'Tum'ah was not punished;
2) DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE "MIDBAR" AND "GILGAL"
(b) In Shilo there were only two Machanos.
(c) Question: Which of the three was missing?
(d) Answer (Rabah): Presumably, Machaneh Levi was not
missing, for this is the only Machaneh separating a Zav
and a Tamei Mes (a Zav is forbidden there, a Tamei Mes is
1. It says "V'Lo Yetam'u Es *Machaneihem*", i.e. they
are expelled from different camps!
(e) Objection (Rava): If so, you must say that Machaneh
Yisrael was missing - if so, Zavim and Metzora'im are
expelled from the same camps;
1. It says "Badad Yeshev" - other Teme'im may not be
with a Metzora!
(f) Answer: Really, there were all three Machanos;
1. The Beraisa means, in Shilo there were only two
Machanos regarding Klitah (i.e. one Machaneh (Levi)
was 'Chaser', i.e. it was not a refuge for Shogeg
(g) Inference: This implies that in the Midbar, Machaneh Levi
(h) Affirmation: Yes!
1. (Beraisa): "V'Samti *Lecha* Makom" - there will be a
place of refuge in your (Moshe's) lifetime;
2. "Lecha Makom" - it will be your place (Moshe was in
3. "Asher Yanus Shamah" - this teaches that Galus
applied in the Midbar.
4. Question: Where did Shogeg murderers go?
5. Answer: They went to Machaneh Levi;
i. If a Levi murdered b'Shogeg, he was exiled to a
different neighborhood in Machaneh Levi; if he
was exiled to a different part of his own
neighborhood, he received refuge.
6. Question: What is the source of this?
7. Answer (Rav Acha brei d'Rav Ika): "Ki v'Ir *Miklato*
Yeshev" - the city that already absorbed him (he was
already living there.)
(a) (Mishnah): When they came to Gilgal...
(b) (Beraisa): Only Nedarim and Nedavos may be offered on a
(c) R. Meir says, Menachos and (Korbanos of) Nezirus may be
(d) Chachamim say, individuals offered only Olos and
(e) R. Yehudah says, anything the Tzibur and an individual
could bring in the Ohel Mo'ed in the Midbar, they could
bring in the Ohel Mo'ed in Gilgal;
1. The difference between them was that Bamos were
permitted when the Ohel Mo'ed was in the Midbar,
they were forbidden when it was in Gilgal;
(f) Chachamim say, anything the Tzibur brought in the Ohel
Mo'ed in the Midbar, it brought in the Ohel Mo'ed in
2. A person could offer only Nedarim and Nedavos on a
Bamah on top of his roof (i.e. a private Bamah).
1. In both of them, individuals only offered Olos and
(g) R. Shimon says, even the Tzibur only offered Pesach and
Chovos (obligatory offerings) that have a fixed time.
(h) Question: What is R. Meir's reason?
(i) Answer: "Lo Sa'asun k'Chol Asher Anachnu Osim Po ha'Yom"
- Moshe told Yisrael, when you come to Eretz Yisrael, you
may offer Yashrus ("Kol ha'Yashar b'Einav", i.e. Nedarim
and Nedavos, which are voluntary), but not Chovos;
1. Menachos and Nezirus are voluntary.
(j) Chachamim hold that Menachos may not be offered on a
Bamah, and (Korbanos) Nezirus are obligatory (a Nazir
must bring them).
(k) (Shmuel): They argue about Chatas and Asham (of a Nazir),
but all agree that Olos and Shelamim are Yashrus, they
may be offered.
(l) Objection (Rava - Beraisa): The following gifts to the
Kohen apply on a Bamah Gedolah, not on a Bamah Ketanah:
1. Chazeh v'Shok (of Shelamim), Terumas (one bread of
each of the four kinds of) Lachmei Todah.
(m) Correction: Rather, Shmuel taught, they argue about Olah
and Shelamim (of a Nazir), but all agree that Chatas and
Asham are Chovos, they may not be offered.
2. The Beraisa omits the Zero'a Beshelah (the cooked
foreleg of Ayil Nazir).
3. We understand if they argue (even) about Olah and
Shelamim - the Beraisa is like Chachamim, who say
that no Korbanos Nazir are offered on a Bamah;
i. But if they argue only about Chatas and Asham,
why was this omitted?
(n) (Beraisa - Chachamim): Anything the Tzibur brought in the
Ohel...(in the Midbar and Gilgal, individuals only
offered Olos and Shelamim.)
(o) Question: What is Chachamim's reason?
(p) Answer: "Ish ha'Yashar b'Einav"- they offered Yashrus,
1. The Tzibur brought even Chovos.