POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 52
YOMA 52 - by Reb Wolfe Rosengarten of Zurich, in honor of Rav Moshe
Soloveitchik Zatzal and the Yeshiva he established in Moscow.
1) THE AMAH TERAKSIN
(a) (R. Noson) It was not determined if the Amah Teraksin was
part of the Heichal or part of the Kodesh HaKodoshim.
(b) Question (Ravina): Why assume that it was part of either;
perhaps it was part of *neither*!?
1. If the measurements in the Pesukim are your indication
(40 + 20 = 60) thus leaving us unsure where the Amah
(c) Answer: The doubt is rather about which Kedushah prevailed
in the Amah Teraksin.
2. Perhaps the Pesukim are describing interior spaces
only, the Amah is part of neither.
3. This is supported by the Mishnah which counts the
interior space (40 and 20) apart from the walls.
1. This is indicated by the doubt raised by R. Yosef Ish
2. He questioned how to divide the Pasuk "U'Devir BeSoch
HaBayis MiPenimah Heichin..."
3. Question: But Isi b. Yehudah taught only five ambiguous
words in the Torah (and MiPenimah is not one of them)?
2) MISHNAH: THE ENTRY INTO THE KODESH HAKODOSHIM
i. The Beraisa identifies Isi b. Yehudah with Yosef
4. Answer: There are no others in the Torah, but there are
others in Neviim.
ii. It is thus he did not question MiPenimah!?
5. Question: But we find another ambiguous word in the
Torah, Parim, as reported by R. Chisda!?
6. Answer: This was R. Chisda's doubt, not shared by Isi
(a) The outer (Heichal) curtain was pinned (Perufah) outward at
the South, and the inner one was Perufah from the North.
3) THE KODESH HAKODOSHIM OF THE FIRST MIKDASH
(b) The Kohen Gadol walks between them until reaching the North.
(c) Upon entry into the Kodesh HaKodoshim he turns South and
walks with the Paroches to his left until the Aron.
(d) Upon reaching the Aron he placed the Machtah with the coals
between the Badim, piled the Ketores on the coals and
(waited until) the room filled with smoke.
(e) He reversed himself to leave.
(f) He prayed briefly (so as not to arouse concern) in the
(a) Question: Of which Mikdash is the Mishnah speaking?
4) PILING OR SPREADING THE KETORES
1. If the first, there was not Paroches!
(b) Answer: We are speaking of the Mikdash Sheni and he came not
to the Aron but to its place.
2. If the second, there was no Aron (which, the Beraisa
reports, was one of the items hidden by Yoshiyahu)!
i. The Beraisa lists and discusses the items placed
in Genizah by Yoshiyahu.
ii. R. Elazar cites the sources for each of the items
(Tzintzenes, Shemen, Makel).
(c) Question: But the Mishnah speaks of "between the Badim?!"
(d) Answer: It means as if it were...
(a) Our Mishnah supports the opinion that the Kohen Gadol piles
(not spreads) the Ketores on the coals.
(b) The Beraisos seem to contradict one another regarding upon
which side of the Machtah he begins to pile the Ketores.
(c) (Abaye) This is a Machlokes Tanaim and the cited Mishnah
(wherein the Kohen Gadol is given instructions) seems to
support the view that he began from the side away from