POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 36
YOMA 36-40 have anonymously sponsored towards a REFU'AH SHELEMAH to Shmuel
Yakov ben Ayala Hinda, Ilana Golda bas Chana and Klarees Marcia bas Mammie
1) MISHNAH (35b): VIDUI OF THE KOHEN GADOL ON HIS CHATAS
(a) The Parah stood between the Ulam and the Mizbeach.
2) BETWEEN THE ULAM AND THE MIZBEACH
(b) Its head was to the South, and it was facing West.
(c) The Kohen stood facing West when he did Semichah and Vidui.
(d) The text of his Vidui was Avisi, Pashati, Chatasi...
(e) When the People heard the Name, they (bowed and) responded
with Baruch Shem...
(a) Question: Who called this region North?
3) HEAD TO THE NORTH FACING WEST
(b) Answer: R. Elazar b.R. Shimon in the Beraisa:
1. R. Yosi b.R. Yehudah- from the Mizbeach to the North
wall is considered North.
(c) Question: Must our Mishnah only follow R. Elazar b.R. Shimon
and not Rebbi?
2. R. Elazar b.R. Shimon adds between the Ulam and the
Mizbeach as part of "North."
3. Rebbi adds the North*east*ern side of the Mizbeach.
4. All agree not to include the far Northwestern side (by
the Ulam-Beis HaChalifos).
(d) Answer: Surely Rebbi *adds* to R. Elazar b.R. Shimon!
(e) Question: We meant to ask why, according to Rebbi, do we
only locate the Parah between the Ulam and the Mizbeach?
(f) Answer: Just as you will admit for R. Elazar b.R. Shimon
that we minimize the exertion of the Kohen, so, too, we will
say for Rebbi.
(a) Question: How can this be so (body N-S yet its head West)?
(b) Answer: He tilted its head to the West.
(c) Question: Then stand the Parah facing West?!
(d) Answer: We are concerned for the honor of the Mizbeach if
its tail is to the East.
(a) Question: How is the Semichah done on Kodeshei Kodeshim?
1. The animal is in the North, facing West, as is the
(c) For an Olah:
2. He places both hands between its horns and there must
not be anything intervening between him and the animal.
3. For a Chatas and an Asham he confesses the Avon.
1. (R. Yosi HaGelili) He confesses transgressing Leket
Shikchah and Peah.
(d) Question: What is their dispute?
2. (R. Akiva) No, he confesses over an Olah an Aseh or a
Lav which is tied to an Aseh.
(e) Answer (R. Yirmiyah): Whether the Lav regarding Neveilah is
a regular Lav (R. Akiva) or not a regular Lav (R. Yosi
HaGelili) since there is also an Aseh relating to it.
5) THE ORDER OF THE VIDUI
(f) Answer (Abaye): Whether Ta'azov means only before the
Aveirah (R. Akiva) or is it an instruction even for after
the offense is committed (R. Yosi HaGelili).
(a) (R. Meir) The order is as in our Mishnah, based on the Pasuk
by the Sair HaMishtaleach as well as in the 13 Midos which
6) VECHIPER (Vayikra 16:6)
(b) (Chachamim) The order is Chatasi, Avisi, Pashati since the
other order has him confessing lighter transgressions later.
(c) Question: But what of the order in Moshe's plea?
(d) Answer: He asked that HaShem consider Zedonos as Shegagos
when the People to Teshuvah.
(e) (Rabah b. Shmuel citing Rav) The Halachah follows the
(f) Question: That is obvious (Yachid v'Rabim)?!
(g) Answer: We might have been in doubt seeing that R. Meir
finds support from the Pasuk.
(h) In the reported incident Rabah corrected the Shaliach Tzibur
who followed R. Meir, however the Shaliach Tzibur insisted
on following R. Meir.
(a) This Kaparah is with words (Vidui).
1. A Gezeirah Shavah to Sair HaMishtaleach shows me that
it cannot mean with the blood (but must be words).
2. And if you insist, I will demonstrate from 16:10 that
the Kaparah is referenced even before the Shechitah!
3. Question: What is this " if you insist?"
4. Answer: If you would wish to learn from the Sair of a
Chatas that Kaparah means its blood (which is
sprinkled), I'll demonstrate from the Par itself.