POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 33
YOMA 32-35 - anonymously sponsored towards a REFU'AH SHELEMAH to Shmuel
Yakov ben Ayala Hinda, Ilana Golda bas Chana and Klarees Marcia bas Mammie
1) ABAYE REPORTS THE ORDER OF THE DAILY AVODAH
(a) Abaye transmits the tradition according to Aba Shaul.
2) JUSTIFYING THE ORDER OF THE AVODAH
(b) He reports 14 steps of the Avodah, starting with the
Ma'arachah Gedolah and concluding with the evening Tamid.
(c) Each step in his order is justified in the subsequent
(a) That the Ma'arachah Gedolah comes first is inferred from a
Beraisa which draws from the Pasuk that there are two
1. Question: Perhaps the Ma'arachah Sheniya should come
(b) That the Ma'arachah Sheniya precedes the Sidur two Gezirei
Eitzim is derived from Alehah which singles out one
Ma'arachah, thus inferring the existence of two Ma'arachos
2. Answer: We should give first priority to that which has
more Kaparah (the Ma'arachah Gedolah).
3. Question: Perhaps we should give priority to the
Ma'arachah from which we take coals within for the
4. Answer: Still, more Kaparah takes precedence.
5. Alternate Answer: In the absence of coals from the
second Ma'arachah, we would bring in coals from the
1. Question: But Alehah is needed for its own Halachah?
(c) That the two Gezirei Eitzim precede the Dishun Mizbeach
Penimi is derived in spite of the presence of BaBoker
Baboker by both the Dishun and the two Gezirei Eitzim as we
give precedence to a Machshir.
2. Answer: Alehah appears twice in the Pasuk.
1. Question: How are the Gezirei Eitzim a Machshir for the
Ketores, given that the coals for the Ketores were
taken from the Ma'arachah Sheniya, not the Ma'arachah
(d) That the Dishun precedes the Hatavah of the five Neiros is
part of Abaye's tradition, for which he did not know a
2. Answer #1: Eitzim have the status of Machshir.
3. Answer #2: Once involved with the Ma'arachah we
4. Answer #3: In the absence of coals from the second
Ma'arachah, we would bring in coals from the first.
1. Rava taught the reason for the precedence is in order
not to pass over Mitzvos (based on Resh Lakish) since
he encounters the Mizbeach HaZahav first upon entry
into the Heichal.
2. The Beraisa teaches the positions of each of the Keilim
in the Heichal.
(e) That the Hatavas Chamesh Neiros precedes the Tamid, and;
(i) Question: Let the Mizbeach be in line between the
Shulchan and the Menorah (and not slightly off-
line to the East)?
3. Rava learned from Resh Lakish an application to
Tefilin, requiring a person to place the Shel Yad
(ii) Answer: The Pasuk teaches that there must be a
direct line of sight between the Menorah and the
(f) That the Tamid precedes the Hatavas Shetei Neiros is derived
from the (otherwise superfluous) words Baboker Baboker which
appear by the Hatavas Chamesh Neiros.
1. There are three Boker references by the Hatavas Chamesh
Neiros, whereas the Tamid has two (giving the Hatavah
(g) That the two Neiros precede the Ketores is seen in the
2. Even though both the Tamid and the Hatavas Shetei
Neiros each have two Boker references, we give
precedence to the Tamid since it is Mechaper.
3. Question: Perhaps one Boker should be "sent" to Dishun
Mizbeach HaPenimi and it will the precede the Tamid and
a second Boker should be sent to the Tamid, placing it
before the five Neiros (precedence given to the
(i) This (which will result in the five Neiros being
prepared right before the two Neiros with no
intervening Avodah) can work according to Resh
4. Question: The BaBoker is not superfluous (to place the
Gezirei Eitzim before the second Ma'arachah)?
(ii) However, it will not work according to R. Yochanan
(given his Derashah to separate the Hatavos)!
5. Answer: Alehah has already taught us that both
Ma'arachos precede the Ketores!
6. Question: Why do the five Neiros before the two?
7. Answer: Once we begin, we do the majority.
8. Question: The let us do six?!
9. Answer: The second Hatavah is spoken of in plural.
(h) That the Ketores precedes the Eivarim is based on the
presence of two words Boker over the presence of one.
(i) That the Eivarim precede the Minchah is derived from the
prefix *Ha*Olah, meaning that the Olas HaTamid is offered