|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 2] MELO CHAFNAV - a double handful, where both hands are placed together and filled
2) [line 8] LISHKAS HA'KELIM - The Chamber of the Utensils. Its place is not known. (The Tiferes Yisrael suggests that in might be located in one of 38 unidentified compartments surrounding the Heichal. Alternatively, this may be Lishkas Pinchas ha'Malbish, where the Bigdei Kehunah were kept -- TY 20.)
3) [line 9] LISHKAS BEIS AVTINAS - TY #34; The room where the Ketores was compounded, named for the Avtinas family of Kohanim. The Kohen Gadol was taught the art of Chafinah there. Next to this room was a Mikvah for the first Tevilah of the Kohen Gadol on Yom ha'Kipurim
4) [line 14] NE'AYEIL V'HADAR NE'AYEIL? - should he bring in [the coals in the Machtah] and afterwards bring in [the Ketores]?
5) [line 16] V'NACHTEI LA'MACHTAH ALAH - and rest the Machtah on it (the Ketores that is in his hands)
6) [line 17] NISHKELEI B'SHINEI V'NACHTEI LA'MACHTAH? - should he take the Machtah in his teeth and place it on the ground?
7) [line 23] YATZIVA B'AR'A, V'GIYORA BI'SHMEI SHEMAYA!? - (lit. how can the citizen be down on the ground, while the [lowly] visitor is [high above him] in the upper heavens?) i.e. why does he carry the Ketores in his left hand and the Machtah in his right (more important) hand?!
8) [line 28] ARBA'AS KABIN - a volume of 4 Kav, approximately 5.5 liters or
9.6 liters, depending upon the differing Halachic opinions
10) [line 28] KOL HA'NASHIM ZERDU, V'ZERED IMA ALAH LA'GAG - all women eat porridge when they are pregnant, but my mother's porridge excelled them all (ZARID - wheat that is split into four pieces with a mortar and pestle). The Gemara offers an alternate explanation for Rebbi Yishmael's statement - see entry 12 below
11) [line 30] IRSAN - wheat that is split into five pieces
13) [line 33] "VA'TAZRAINI CHAYIL LA'MILCHAMAH"/ "(HA'ME'AZREINI) [VA'TE'AZRAINI] CHAYIL LA'MILCHAMAH" - lit. "You girded me with strength in battle". The first verse is in Shmuel II 22:40 and the second verse is in Tehilim 18:40. Both chapters are the Song of David, with slight variations.
14) [line 35] ZERISANI V'ZEIRAZTANI - (a) You winnowed me (selected the choicest of the seed), and then winnowed me again (selected the best part of the choicest of the seed) (RASHI); (b) You winnowed me (selected the choicest of the seed) and then filled me with vitality (RASHI Nidah 31a)
15) [line 36] V'NITEZAH TZINORA - and spit sprayed on him (making him Tamei)
19) [line 1] MACHAVAS (MINCHAS MACHAVAS)
20) [line 1] MARCHESHES (MINCHAS MARCHESHES)
21) [line 1] MOCHEK B'GODLO - he smoothes the Kometz with his thumb (cutting off the excess baked goods)
22) [line 6] BEIN HA'BEINAYIM - the part of the Kometz that gets stuck in between his fingers
23) [line 12] KOL SHE'MIMENU LA'ISHIM, HAREI HU B'VAL TAKTIRU During the process of offering the Korbanos, certain parts are offered on the Mizbe'ach. After the required part has been offered, it is prohibited to offer any other part of the Korban on the Mizbe'ach. This law is learned from Vayikra 2:11.
24) [line 24] D'KAMTZEI SHEMEINI - fat Kohanim whose fingers bulge do the Kemitzah (and no dough or baked goods gets stuch between their fingers)
*25*) [line 29] IY GAMAR MALEI MALEI ME'HASAM, HAINU HACH - (That is, it is clear that Rav Papa was not asking whether we may compare Chafinah to Kemitzah, because then he would have asked whether it is permitted to use a container for Chafinah instead of his hands, or whether a container may not be used just like it may not be used for Kemitzah. Since Rav Papa asked his question specifically about Bein ha'Beinayim, it appears that it was obvious to him either that we do or do not compare Kemitzah and Chafinah in general, and his doubt was only whether or not they may be compared with regard to Bein ha'Beinayim specifically - SI'ACH YITZCHAK.)