|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 2] SHILOH - the city in the portion of Efrayim where the Mishkan was built after the 14 years of conquest and apportionment of Eretz Yisrael. The Mishkan stood there for 369 years (Seder Olam Raba 11).
2) [line 2] BEIS OLAMIM - the Beis ha'Mikdash. It was called by this name, the Eternal Dwelling, because once it was chosen, it became the permanent dwelling place of the Shechinah
3) [line 20] SHEB'CHASHAI - that is done secretly
5) [line 26] V'AMRI LAH KEDI - (a) and some say it was [asked by a sage named] Kedi (RASHI Gitin 85b); (b) and some say it was asked without a specific sage's name being mentioned (ibid.)
6) [line 28] PAR KOHEN MASHI'ACH
7) [line 29] PAR HE'ELEM DAVAR SHEL TZIBUR
8) [line 29] SE'IREI AVODAS KOCHAVIM
*9*) [line 36] LO, BI'SHE'AS HAKTARAH D'HEICHAL - at the time that any Kohen would offer the daily incense on the Mizbe'ach ha'Zahav of the Heichal.
10) [line 37] "HA MAH MA'ALAH", V'SU LO? - [if so,] is this the only extra level [of sanctity of the Heichal]; are there no more?
*11*) [line 42] U'VEIN SHE'LO BI'SHE'AS HAKTARAH - that is, originally we had assumed that when this Beraisa mentioned "she'Lo bi'She'as Haktarah," it was referring to when the Kohen Gadp; was sprinkling the blood, as opposed to offering incense, inside the Kodesh ha'Kodashim. Now, however, the Gemara is changing that assumption and asserting that she'Lo bi'She'as Haktarah refers to when the Kohen Gadol was *offering the incense inside the Kodesh ha'Kodashim*, as opposed to offering the incense in the *Heichal*.
12) [line 2] KEDUSHAH DIDEI - (lit. its own sanctification) the sprinkling of the blood in the Heichal itself; (it is called Kedushah based on the words "v'Tiharo v'Kidesho," "and he shall purify and sanctify it," that are stated regarding the sprinkling of the blood on the Mizbe'ach ha'Penimi (Vayikra 16:19)
13) [line 25] MECHABDAN LA'AMAH - he would sweep them into the channel of water that ran through the Azarah. He does not transgress the Lav of Lo Sichbeh (extinguishing the fire and coals of the Mizbe'ach), because the coals have been removed from the Mizbe'ach for a specific Mitzvah. The Lav no longer applies to the coals once the Mitzvah has been completed (RABEINU ELCHANAN cited by the TOSFOS YESHANIM 45a DH Mechabdan la'Amah; see also TOSFOS 46b DH Ki Peligi).
14a) [line 32] MIDBARIS - the measure of a Se'ah and a Kav as they were
measured in Midbar Sinai, after Benei Yisrael received the Torah
1 Se'ah Midbaris = 6 *Kavin* Midbariyos = 5 Kavin *Yerushalmiyos*15) [line 35] GILDAH - its thickness
16) [line 38] NI'ASHTIK - (a) a rattling ring, to make noise as the Kohen Gadol enters the Kodesh on Yom Kipur (in place of the bells of the Me'il, which was not worn when he entered the Kodesh ha'Kodashim, RASHI); (b) a leather cover for the handle of the Machtah (RABEINU CHANANEL, and RIVA cited in TOSFOS DH b'Chol Yom)
17a) [line 40] ZAHAV TOV - (Divrei ha'Yamim II 3:5) - (a) good, precious
gold (RASHI); (b) fine gold which has no impurities (YERUSHALMI Yoma 4:4,
cited in TOSFOS - see Si'ach Yitzchak)