|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 3] SHIKTZUM - defiled them (by offering on the Mizbe'ach sacrifices to Avodah Zarah)
2) [line 6] EZRAS NASHIM - The Women's Courtyard, that was 135 Amos square. A gallery was reserved there for women who came to watch the Simchas Beis ha'Sho'evah on Sukos. Each of the 4 unroofed chambers at its four corners measured 40 Amos square.
3) [line 9] MIKTZO'OSEHA - its corners
4) [line 10] NEZIRIM (KORBANOS NAZIR TAHOR)
5) [line 12] U'MESHALCHIN TACHAS HA'DUD - and they throw their hair under the pot in which the Shelamim was cooked
6) [line 14] MASLI'IN BA'ETZIM - they check the logs of wood for worms. Any logs that contain worms that are moist are unfit for use on the Mizbe'ach. If the logs are dry, the worms are removed and the wood is fit for use (Menachos 85b).
7) [line 16] LISHKAS HA'METZORA'IM - TY #13; The room with a Mikvah for the final cleansing of the Metzora (Vayikra 14:11).
8) [line 20] LISHKAS BEIS SHEMANAYA - TY #14; The Oil Room where oil for the Menorah and Menachos as well as wine for Nesachim were kept.
9) [line 22] HA'SOREF ES HA'PARAH
10) [line 25] SOREG - TY #7; Surrounding the Azarah courtyard (including the Ezras Nashim), ten Amos away from its wall, was a low wooden fence, called the Soreg. It was ten Tefachim high, and consisted of woven wooden slats laid crosswise, similar to room dividers. Only Jews who were Tahor from Tum'as Mes could go beyond this point.
11) [line 25] CHEIL - TY #8; The area that extended for ten Amos from the Soreg until the Azaros. Twelve steps covered by an awning extended the entire length of the Cheil and were used for seating. (According to the Rambam, the Cheil refers to the retaining wall that surrounded the Azaros - perhaps, part of which can be seen today.)
12) [line 26] RUM MA'ALAH - the height of a step
15) [line 31] D'ICHSI LEI PISCHA - [according to his opinion,] the entrance [to the Heichal] was hidden (because the eastern gate was 20 Amos tall but the foot of the entrance to the Heichal was above that level)
16) [last line] MEMUTZA V'OMED B'EMTZA AZARAH - stood exactly in the middle of the Azarah
17) [line 13] HA'KEVESH - TY #48; the ramp to the Mizbe'ach on its south side which was 32 Amos long and 16 Amos wide
18) [line 13] HA'MIZBE'ACH - TY #47; the Altar for burnt offerings which was 32 Amos square at its base and 10 Amos high including the Keranos (upward projecting corners of the Mizbe'ach).
19) [line 14] TABA'OS - TY #46; 24 rings, set into the floor of the Azarah to the north of the Mizbe'ach. They were used during Shechitah; the animal's neck was held firmly by the ring that opened and closed on a hinge.
20) [line 15] SHULHCANOS - TY #45; eight marble tables upon which the intestines of Korbanos were rinsed.
21) [line 16] NANASIN - TY #44; eight short posts (consisting of small columns of stone (marble, according to the Tiferes Yisrael) upon which square blocks of cedar-wood were affixed) with hooks, used for skinning Korbanos.