POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Yevamos 115
1) IS A WOMAN BELIEVED IN WARTIME?
2) 1 WITNESS IN WAR
1. Or, since it is now established that it is wartime,
are we concerned that she testifies by estimation?
(b) Answer (Beraisa): A woman says, 'The house burned and was
full of smoke; I survived, and he died' - she is not
i. The reasoning - 'why should she lie' - does not
(c) Rejection: That case is different - she reasons, a
miracle was done for me, but not for him!
(d) Answer (Beraisa): A woman says, 'Nochrim or robbers came
upon us - he was killed, and I survived' - she is
(e) Rejection: That case is different, as Rav Idi taught.
1. (Rav Idi): "A woman has her weapons with her" (that
is, she is not afraid of robbers because of her
seductive abilities, and will wait to see if her
husband really died).
(f) At the end of a Chupah, a fire broke out. The Kalah
cried, 'See, it is my husband!' People saw a burnt man
and a hand.
1. R. Chiya Bar Avin: This is as the case of the house
that burned (she is not believed).
2. Rava: Here is different! She cried, 'See, it is my
husband'! And here, a burnt man and a hand were
i. R. Chiya Bar Avin holds, the burnt man may be
one who tried to save her husband; the hand may
be her husband's - since he became blemished,
he fled because of shame.
(a) Question: Is 1 witness believed in wartime?
1. If 1 witness is believed because people do not lie
about matters prone to become known (if the husband
is alive) - here also, he will not lie!
(b) Answer (Rami Bar Chama - Mishnah - R. Akiva): In Eretz
Yisrael, only R. Yehudah Ben Bava permitted a woman to
get married based on 1 witness. Nechemyah, the man of
Beis Dli, said, 'You know, the land is perilous because
of troops. I received from R. Gamliel, that we may marry
a woman based on 1 witness.'
2. Or, is 1 witness believed because she will
investigate before marrying - here, she may rely on
estimation and not investigate!
1. Question: Why did he say, the land is perilous
because of troops?
(c) A case occurred with 2 Chachamim that were coming in a
ship with R. Yosi Ben Simai. The ship sank; Rebbi allowed
their widows to marry based on the testimony of women.
i. Suggestion: Even though soldiers are rampant,
we may marry a woman based on 1 witness.
2. Answer (Rava): Rather - this land is perilous
because of the troops, and I cannot leave my
household to testify before Chachamim - I received
from R. Gamliel, a woman may marry based on 1
ii. Rejection (Rava): If so, what is special about
this land - he should have said, 'Any place
where soldiers are rampant'!
1. Suggestion: Drowning is as war; and even 100 women
are as 1 witness - and Rebbi allowed the widows to
(d) Rather, the women said that they saw the body, and they
gave identifying signs.
2. Rejection: This cannot be the case! One cannot see
the end of the water - in such a case, his wife is
3) ARE WE CONCERNED FOR PEOPLE WITH THE SAME NAME?
1. Rebbi relied on the signs, not on the women.
(e) Reuven deposited sesame by Shimon.
1. Reuven: give me my sesame!
(f) (Rav Chisda): This is as the case of the 2 Chachamim - we
do not say, his sesame went away, and this is different
2. Shimon: You already took it back!
3. Reuven: The quantity is such and such, and it is in
4. Shimon: You took yours - I have other sesame.
(g) (Rava): This case is different! There, there were
identifying signs - here there are not!
1. Even though Reuven gave the correct quantity - this
could be by chance!
(h) Question (Mar Kashisha Bar Rav Chisda): Are we really
concerned that the original was transferred to a
1. (Mishnah): If the letter Kuf is on a vessel - we
assume that the contents are Hekdesh (for a Korban);
the letter Mem - the contents are Ma'aser; Dalet -
Dimua (Terumah mixed with Chulin); Tes - Tevel
(untithed produce); Tav - Terumah.
(i) Question (Ravina): Are we really not concerned that the
original was transferred to a different place?
i. When there were decrees not to keep Mitzvos,
people wrote Tav in place of Terumah.
1. (End of the Mishnah - R. Yosi): Even if Terumah is
written on the barrel, it is Chulin - we say, there
was Terumah in it, it was transferred.
(j) Answer: Really, both Tana'im agree that we are concerned
that the contents were removed.
1. The first Tana holds, if he transferred the Terumah,
he would have erased the marking on the barrel;
2. R. Yosi holds, he forgot to do this; or, he left the
marking on to discourage others from taking the
(a) Yitzchak, the Exilarch, the nephew of Rav Bivi was going
from Aspamya to Nehardai; he died.
(b) Question (Chachamim of Eretz Yisrael): Are we concerned
that there was another man of that name (and his widow
cannot get married - perhaps her husband is still alive)!
(c) Answer #1 (Abaye): We are concerned.
(d) Answer #2 (Rava): We are not concerned.
1. (Abaye): We see that we are concerned from the
following case. A Get was found in Nehardai. It
said, next to Kalonya (a city), I, Androlinai of
Nehardai, divorce my wife. Shmuel's father sent this
question to R. Yehudah Nesi'ah.
i. (R. Yehudah Nesi'ah): All of Nehardai must be
checked (for another Androlinai).
2. (Rava): This is no proof - if we were truly
concerned, we would have to check the whole world!
i. R. Yehudah Nesi'ah only said to check so that
Shmuel's father should not be embarrassed for
asking the question.
1. (Rava): The following case shows that we are not
concerned. There were 2 documents in Mechuza; one
said the borrower was Chavi Bar Nanai; the other,
Nanai Bar Chavi. Rabah Bar Avuha authorized
collection of both of them, even though these are
common names in Mechuza.