REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Sotah 39
(a) What does Rava bar Rav Huna learn from the Pasuk in Nechemyah
"u'che'Poscho Amdu Kol ha'Am"?
What does Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi learn from the Pasuk in Tehilim "Se'u
Yedeichem Kodesh u'Varchu es Hashem"?
(b) What does "Amdu" mean?
(c) What does Rebbi Zeira Amar Rav Chisda learn from the Pasuk there
"ve'Oznei Kol ha'Am el Sefer ha'Torah"?
(a) Rebbi Elazar ben Shamua attributed his long life to the fact that he
never made the Beis-Hamedrash a Kapendarya and never trod on the heads of
the holy people.
Besides the B'rachah that a Kohen recites before Duchening, he also recites
one prayer as he goes up to Duchen, and another prayer when he turns round
What was the third reason for his longevity?
(b) What is 'Kapendarya' the acronym of?
(c) What did he mean when he said that he never trod on the heads of the
What does he pray for ...
Answers to questions
- ... on his way up to Duchen?
- ... when he turns round after Duchening?
(a) When are the Kohanim permitted to bend the joints of their fingers?
(b) Rebbi Zeira Amar Rav Chisda lists the stages of Birchas Kohanim.
care must be taken by ...
(c) When are the Kohanim permitted ...
- ... the one who announces 'Kohanim'?
- ... the Kohanim before reciting the B'rachos of 'Asher Kid'shanu .. '?
- ... the Tzibur before responding 'Amen'?
- ... the Kohanim before beginning each B'rachah?
- ... to turn away from the Tzibur?
- ... to go down from the Duchan?
(a) And what care does Rebbi Zeira Amar Rav Chisda prescribe before ...
(b) What is the reason for these Halachos?
- ... the Tzibur respond 'Amen' to the B'rachah of the person who is called up to the Torah?
- ... the Ba'al Korei before he begins to Lein?
- ... the Meturgeman (translator) before he begins to translate the Pasuk just read by the Ba'al Korei?
- ... the Ba'al Korei before he continues to Lein?
(a) What does Rebbi Tanchum Amar Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi say about the
obligation of the person who reads the Haftarah?
(b) Why does he forbid him to begin the Haftarah until the Golel has
finished his Mitzvah?
(c) And what does he mean when he says 'Ein Sh'liach Tzibur Rashai
Le'hafshit es ha'Teivah be'Tzibur'?
(d) What is the reason for this?
(a) He also forbids the people to leave the Shul before the Sefer-Torah has
been picked up to return to its place. Shmuel is even more stringent.
does *he* say?
(b) How do we reconcile the two opinions, so that they do not argue?
(c) What did bar Ahina learn from the Pasuk in Re'ei "Acharei Hashem
(a) What is the significance of the three Pesulim in Tehilim ...
1. ... "Borchu Hashem Mal'achav, Giborei Ko'ach"; "Borchu Hashem Kol
Tzeva'av, Mesharsav Osei Retzono"; "Borchu Hashem Kol Ma'asav be'Chol
Mekomos Memshalto, Borchi Nafshi es Hashem"?
(b) In the last set of Pesukim, why do the Tzibur substitute the third Pasuk
(which is taken from the following chapter) for "Yevarech'cha Hashem
mi'Tziyon Oseh Shamayim va'Aretz" (which is written in the same chapter)?
2. ... "Shir ha'Ma'alos, Hinei Borchu es Hashem Kol Avdei Hashem"; "Se'u
Yedeichem Kodesh u'Varchu es Hashem"; "Baruch Hashem mi'Tziyon Shochen
(c) Why should they recite different Pesukim at Shabbos Musaf than at
(a) When do the Tzibur recite the Pesukim in Yirmiyah "Im Avoneinu Anu Vanu
Hashem, Asei Lema'an Shemecha"; "Mikveh Yisrael Moshi'o be'Eis Tzarah Lamah
Sih'yeh ke'Ger ba'Aretz"; "Lamah Sih'yeh ke'Ish Nidham, ke'Gibor Lo Yuchal
Answers to questions
(b) Why do they recite special Pesukim then?
(c) Why did the Kohanim Duchen at Minchah on a Ta'anis but not otherwise?