BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafShabbos 65
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach, Rav B. Rensburg
and the parenthetical marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is
devoted to any *OTHER* changes that we feel ought to be made in Gemara,
Rashi or Tosfos.)
 Gemara 65a [line 20]:
"*Shen Toseves* Shen Shel Zahav"
It appears from Rashi on the Mishnah (64b DH v'Chachamim) that he was not
Gores the words "Shen Toseves" here.
 Rashi 65a DH Shuchesa:
The word "*Lichluchis*" (spelled with two letters *Ches*)
should be "*Lichluchis*" (spelled with two letters *Chaf*)
(Rashi is referring to the "rust" of silver (tarnish, i.e. silver oxide)
which seems to correlate to the word for "dirt" as opposed to the word for
 Gemara 65b [line 8]:
"*Porefes Al ha'Even ... *"
It seems that this citation from the Mishnah should read "*u'Vilvad she'Lo
Sifrof l'Chatchilah b'Shabbos*"
 Rashi 65b DH Ela Peras:
The words "v'Ani Shama'ti bi'Vchoros *Metaharin*"
should be "v'Ani Shama'ti bi'Vchoros *Mitaharin*"
 Rashi 65b [last line]
The words "*she'Hu* Yoshev"
should be "*keshe'Hu* Yoshev"
 Tosfos 65b DH Shema [at the end]:
The words "Rabah mike'Shi'ur, veha'Hi"
should be "Rabah mike'Shi'ur *ha'Heter*, veha'Hi"
1) [line 1] SHOTCHAN BA'CHAMAH - he spreads them out (clothes that became
soaked in water) in the sun
2) [line 13] CHALUKIN ALAV CHAVERAV - his colleagues argue with him
3) [line 16] MIHADAK - affixed well
4) [line 19] ZANGEVILA - (O.F. jenjevre) ginger
5) [line 19] DARTZONA - cinnamon
6) [line 23] MIGANYA BEI - is humiliated by it
7) [line 24] L'ACHVUYEI - to show it
8) [line 24] KOVELES - balsam that is tied up in a knot and worn around the
9) [line 24] TZELOCHIS SHEL POLYATON - a flask of balsam oil (O.F. balsme)
10) [line 26] SEVACHAH - headdress, a covering for the head
11) [line 27] TZINIS - blisters or calluses
12) [line 28] KISMIN - slivers
13) [line 28] ARAVIYOS - Jewish women living in Arabia
14) [line 28] RE'ULOS - (a) veiled so that only their eyes are exposed
(RASHI); (b) with bells attached to their garments (RAMBAM, Peirush
15) [line 28] MADIYOS - Jewish women living in Media
16) [line 28] PERUFOS - with their garment held in place by attaching a
string to one edge and winding and tying the other end of the string around
a stone or nut that is placed inside the other side of the garment
17) [line 29] POREFES - fastens a garment in the method described above
18) [line 30] BAS AR'A - blisters or calluses
19) [line 31] D'AKUSHA - that is hard
20) [line 31] CHASPA - a piece of pottery
21) [line 31] SHUCHESA - (O.F. rodil) "rust" of silver, i.e. tarnish
22) [line 32] TASA - a small piece of flat silver that is not a coin
23) [line 32] TZURSA - the image
24) [line 32] PULSA - a circular piece of wood that has an image on it
25) [line 33] LO SHAVIK LEHU - did not let them
26) [line 34] GANI'AN GABEI HADADEI - sleep next to each other
27) [line 34] MIKVA'OS - pools of rainwater
28) [line 35] MAFTZEI - mats
29) [last line] HA'MESOLELOS ZU B'ZU - who rub each other, seeking the
titillating sensation of marital relations
30) [line 1] PESULOS LA'KEHUNAH
(a) Kohanim are restricted from marrying certain women, as specified in
Vayikra 21:7. They may not marry a Gerushah (a woman who was divorced,) a
Zonah (a woman who had relations with non-Jews or with others who are
forbidden to her,) or a Chalalah (a woman who was born from a marriage of a
Kohen with a woman who was forbidden to him.)
(b) The Kohen Gadol, in addition to the women listed above, may not marry a
widow, as it states in Vayikra 21:14. The Torah specifies (ibid. 21:13-14)
that he should marry a virgin. Rav Huna adds that women ha'Mesolelos Zu
b'Zu are also unfit to marry a Kohen Gadol.
31) [line 1] SAVAR, KI HEICHI D'LO LILFAN GUFA NUCHRA'AH - he forbade it so
that they should not get accustomed to sleeping with another person (so
that they should not desire to sleep with men)
32) [line 3] MITRA B'MA'ARAVA, SAHADA RABAH PERAS - the rise of the
Euphrates is testimony that rain has fallen in the vicinity of Eretz
33) [line 4] NOTFIN / ZOCHALIN
(a) Rainwater (Notfin) is Metaher (purifies) if it is collected in a
cavity, or "b'Ashboren," a fact that is learned from Vayikra 11:36, where
the verse states that a "Mikveh Mayim" (an accumulation of water) purifies.
While the rainwater is flowing (down a slope, for example,) it cannot be
(b) Spring water is Metaher both while it is flowing (Zochalin) as in a
river, and when it is collected in a cavity.
(c) Avuha d'Shmuel felt that during the month of Nisan the rivers swell
from an influx of rainwater and melting snow. The rivers may contain a
majority of Notfin, making them invalid for Taharah while flowing. He
therefore constructed Mikva'os in which to immerse.
34) [line 6] NAHARA MI'KIFEI MIVRICH - A river's own underground source
(lit. its rock) is what causes its water level to periodically increase
(and not an influx of rainwater)
35) [line 11] TA'ARIM - to use a deceptive act to accomplish something
prohibited in a (seemingly) permissible way
36) [line 15] L'CHABUYEI - to extinguish the fire
37) [line 16] LA'AFUKEI - to take out the nut into Reshus ha'Rabim
38) [last line] HA'KITEI'A - an amputee (of the foot)
39) [last line] KAV - a wooden leg