REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Sanhedrin 99
SANHEDRIN 96-100 - Two weeks of study material have been dedicated by Mrs.
Estanne Abraham Fawer to honor the third Yahrzeit of her father, Reb
Mordechai ben Eliezer Zvi (Weiner), who passed away 18 Teves 5760. May the
merit of supporting and advancing Talmud study serve as an Iluy for his
(a) What does Rebbi ...
(b) We already cited Rav Hillel, in whose opinion Yisrael experienced
Mashi'ach in the time of Chizkiyah Hamelech, and will not experience it
again. Rav Yosef refutes Rav Hillel's statement from a Pasuk in Zecharyah
"Gili Me'od bas Tzi'on ... Hinei Malkech Yavo Lach, Tzadik ve'Nosha Hu Ani
ve'Rochev al ha'Chamor ... ".
- ... Eliezer learn from the Pasuk in Tehilim "Arba'im Shanah Akut be'Dor"? On what basis does he connect this Pasuk with the era of Mashi'ach, seeing as it refers to that of the Desert?
- ... Elazar ben Azaryah learn from the Pasuk in Yeshayah "ve'Hayah ba'Yom ha'Hu ve'Nishkachas Tzur Shiv'im Shanah ki'Yemei Melech Echad"? How does he learn it from there?
- ... learn from the Pasuk in Tehilim "Yira'ucha im Shemesh ve'Lifnei Yare'ach Dor Dorim"? And how does he know that the Pasuk is referring to the era of Mashi'ach?
What problem does this create for Rebbi
(c) How does this Kashya tie up with the prophesies of Zecharyah ben
Yehoyada, who prophesied in the time of the first Beis-Hamikdash?
(a) Bearing in mind the Pasuk in Tehilim "Samchenu ki'Yemos Inisanu", what
(b) And what does Rebbi learn from the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Ki Yom Nakam
be'Libi u'Shenas Ge'ulai Ba'ah"?
- ... Rebbi Eliezer (in another Beraisa) learn from the Pasuk in Eikev "va'Ye'ancha va'Yar'ivecha"?
- ... Rebbi Dosa learn from the Pasuk in Lech-Lecha "va'Avadum ve'Inu Osam Arba Me'os Shanah"?
(c) What is then the correlation between the "Yom" and the "Sh'nas" in the
(d) Another text reads three hundred and sixty-five (not years, but)
How does Rebbi arrive at that figure?
(a) Rebbi Yochanan explains 'le'Libi Gilisi, le'Eivarai Lo Gilisi'.
does Resh Lakish say?
(b) And how long will the era of Mashi'ach last, according to ...
(c) What does Rebbi Chiya bar Aba Amar Rebbi Yochanan say about all the
rewards contained in the prophesies, based on the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Ayin Lo
Ra'asah Elokim Zulasecha Ya'aseh li'Mechkah Lo", with regard ...
- ... the Beraisa cited by Rebbi Avimi B'rei de'Rebbi Avahu, based on the Pasuk in Yeshayah "u'Mesos Chasan al Kalah, Yasis Alayich Elokayich"?
- ... Shmuel, based on the Pasuk in Eikev "ki'Yemei ha'Shamayim al ha'Aretz"?
- ... Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak, based on the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Ki Mei No'ach Zos Li Asher Nishba'ti"?
(d) To whom else does the Pasuk refer, besides Ba'alei-Teshuvah?
- ... to the era to which they pertain?
- ... to whom they refer?
(a) Shmuel disagrees with Rebbi Yochanan's first statement.
What does he
say about the corollary between this world and the era of Mashi'ach?
(b) And Rebbi Avahu disagrees with Rebbi Chiya bar Aba's second statement.
What does he say about the corollary between Tzadikim and Ba'alei-Teshuvah?
(c) How does he derive this from the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Shalom Shalom
la'Rachok ve'la'Karov ... "?
(d) How does Rebbi Yochanan interpret "la'Rachok ve'la'Karov"?
(a) According to Rebbi Yehoshua be Levi, "Ayin Lo Ra'asah Elokim Zulasecha"
pertains to the wine that was put away at the time of the Creation.
does Resh Lakish interpret it?
(b) How do we ...
- ... reconcile this with the fact that Adam ha'Rishon lived in Gan Eden (up to the time that he was banished)?
- ... know that 'Gan' and 'Eden' are not one and the same?
(a) The Beraisa offers three interpretations of the Pasuk in Sh'lach-Lecha
"Ki D'var Hashem Bazah".
What does it refer to besides someone who says
that the Torah is not of Divine origin and an Apikores?
(b) And what does "ve'es Mitzvaso Heifer" refer to?
(c) How does the Tana interpret "Hikares Tikares"?
(a) What does Rebbi Eliezer Hamuda'i say about most of the above (he does
not specifically incorporate 'an Apikores' in his list)?
(b) Under which category does he place 'Ha'Mechalel es ha'Kodshim' and
'ha'Mevazeh es ha'Mo'ados', which he adds to the list?
(c) What does 'ha'Mevazeh es ha'Mo'ados' entail?
(d) Which additional case does Rebbi Eliezer Hamuda'i incorporate?
(a) If someone claims that just one Pasuk was written by Moshe (and not by
Hashem), does this fall under the category of "Ki D'var Hashem Bazah"?
(b) What else other than someone who claims that the entire Torah is Moshe's
fabrication, falls under this heading?
(c) According to Rebbi Meir, anyone who learns Torah but does not teach it,
is termed ''D'var Hashem Bazah".
What does Rebbi Nasan mean when he says
'Kol Mi she'Eino Mashgi'ach al ha'Mishnah'?
(d) Rebbi Yishmael interprets the Pasuk to pertain to someone who serves
What does Rebbi Naha'ra'i say?
(a) What is the source of Rebbi Yishmael's interpretation of "Ki D'var
Hashem Bazah" (someone who serves Avodah-Zarah)?
Answers to questions
(b) How does Rebbi Yehoshua ...
(c) What does Rebbi Akiva mean when he says 'Zemer be'Chol Yom, Zemer
be'Chol Yom'? Why does he refer to this as a song?
- ... ben Korchah describe someone who learns Torah without revising it?
- ... describe someone who learns Torah and forgets it?
(d) Rav Yitzchak bar Avudimi learns this from a Pasuk in Mishlei.
does the Pasuk mean when it writes ...
- ... "Nefesh Amal Amlah Lo"?
- ... "Ki Ikaf Alav Pihu"?
(a) Now that we learn from Iyov, that man is born to work hard ("Ki Adam
le'Amal Yivaled"), what does Rebbi Elazar learn from the above-mentioned
Pasuk "Kol Amal Adam le'Fihu"?
(b) From where does he know that this refers to learning Torah?
(c) What did Rava mean when he said 'Kulhu Gufi de'Rufteki Ninhu,Tuveih
le'de'Zachi de'Havi de'Rufteki d'Oraysa'?
(d) What else might 'de'Raftiki' (and not 'de'Ruftiki') mean?
(a) How does Resh Lakish interpret the Pasuk in Mishlei "ve'No'ef Ishah
Chasar Leiv"? What is the significance of the comparison to an adulterer?
(b) How is this contained in the Pasuk there "Ki Na'im Ki Sishmerem
be'Vitn'cha, Yikonu Yachdav al Sefasecha"?
(c) "ve'ha'Nefesh Asher Ta'aseh be'Yad Ramah ... Ki D'var Hashem Bazah"
refers to King Menasheh.
What did King Menasheh say?
(d) The Pasuk in Tehilim "Teishev be'Achicha Tedaber be'Ven Imcha Titn Dofi"
refers to Menasheh.
What did Yeshayah mean when he referred to Menashe's
- ... as "Chavlei ha'Shav"?
- ... as "ve'cha'Avos ha'Agalah"?
(a) What *is* the significance of the Pasuk ...
(b) Why was Amalek Born specifically to her?
We learn of Timna's status from the Pesukim in Vayishlach "va'Achos Lotan
Timna" and "Aluf Lotan" ("Aluf Timna" that follows is not the same Timna as
the one under discussion).
- ... "va'Achos Lotan Timna. ve'Timna Haysah Pilegesh"?
- ... va'Yeilech Reuven ... "?
How do we learn it from there? What does
'Malchusa be'Lo Taga' mean?
(c) Why was Amalek born specifically to her?
(d) According to Rav, the Duda'im that Reuven brought his mother were
'Yavruchi', according to Rebbi Yonasan, 'S'vimki'. Levi translates them as
What is 'Sigli' (see Rashi in Chumash)?
(e) Amora'im argue over the achievement of someone who studies Torah
li'Sh'mah, based on Pesukim in Yeshayah. What does ...
- ... Rebbi Alexandri say, based on the Pasuk " ... Ya'aseh Shalom Li Shalom Ya'aseh Li"?
- ... Rav say, based on the Pasuk " ... li'Neto'a Shamayim u'Le'yased Aretz"?
- ... Rebbi Yochanan say, based on the Pasuk ... "u've'Tzeil Yadi Kisisicha"?
- ... Levi say, based on the Pasuk "ve'Leimor le'Tzi'on Ami Atah"?
(a) What does ...
(b) What does Rebbi Avahu learn from the Pasuk in Beshalach (in connection
with hitting the rock for its water) "u'Mat'cha Asher Hikisa Bo es ha'Ye'or
- ... Resh Lakish learn from the Pasuk in Lech-Lecha "ve'es ha'Nefesh Asher Asu be'Charan"?
- ... Rebbi Yochanan learn from the Pasuk in Ki Savo "u'Shemartem es Divrei ha'B'ris ha'Zos ... "?
- ... Rava learn from the conclusion of that Pasuk " ... va'Asisem Osam"?
How does he interpret "Osom"?
(a) According to Rav and Rebbi Chanina, an Apikores (among those cited in
our Mishnah who do not receive a portion in Olam ha'Ba) is someone who
insults a Talmid-Chacham.
What do Rebbi Yochanan and Rebbi Yehoshua ben
(b) How do we try to prove Rebbi Yochanan and Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi right
from the case of Megaleh Panim ba'Torah? How do we initially define 'Megaleh
(c) How indeed *will* Rav and Rebbi Chanina define 'Megaleh Panim ba'Torah'?
(a) In the second Lashon, the same pairs argue in the *Seifa* (over the
definition of 'Megaleh Panim ba'Torah').
What problem do we now have
according to Rav and Rebbi Chanina (who defines it as someone who insults a
Talmid-Chacham') from Apikores?
(b) So how does Rav Yosef initially interpret Apikores according to them?
(c) Abaye rejects this interpretation however, because that would fall under
the category of 'Megaleh Panim ba'Torah'.
On which Pasuk does he base this
(d) From which other Pasuk does Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak (prove the
usefulness of Talmidei-Chachamim (to condone Abaye's argument)?
(a) So we conclude that an Apikores is someone who is learning with his
Rebbe, and when they come upon something they have learned before, he
comments 'This is what *we* said over there', instead of 'This is what *the
Rebbe* said ... ' (see Ya'avatz).
Answers to questions
How does Rava interpret it?
(b) What would Rava comment when the Bei Binyamin brought him animals for
inspection that turned out to be ...
- ... Tereifah?
- ... Kasher?