POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Sanhedrin 107
SANHEDRIN 106-110 - Two weeks of study material have been dedicated by Mrs.
Estanne Abraham Fawer to honor the third Yahrzeit of her father, Reb
Mordechai ben Eliezer Zvi (Weiner), who passed away 18 Teves 5760. May the
merit of supporting and advancing Talmud study serve as an Iluy for his
1) DAVID'S SIN
(a) (Rav Yehudah): A person should never bring himself to
temptation - David brought himself to temptation and
1. David: Why do we say Elokei Avraham, Elokei Yitzchak
and Elokei Yakov, but not Elokei David? (Maharsha -
he knew that even after he dies, Yisrael will not
(b) (Rav Yehudah): "Va'Yhi l'Es ha'Erev va'Yakam David me'Al
Mishkavo" - David had relations during the day (in order
to satiate his Yetzer, and not think about women);
2. Hash-m: I tested them, I did not test you.
3. David: "Bechaneni Hash-m v'Naseni (test me)"!
4. Hash-m: I did not tell them in what they will be
tested, yet I will tell you, you will be tested in a
matter of Ervah.
1. He forgot that if one satiates the Ever, it craves
more; if one starves it, it is satiated.
(c) "Va'Yishalech Al Gag...va'Yar Ishah Rochetzes..." - Bas
Sheva was shampooing her hair under a chest (Ramah -
canopy). The Satan took the form of a bird; David shot an
arrow at it, it broke the chest (lifted the canopy),
revealing her; David saw her.
(d) David inquired, and was told that she was Uriyah's wife;
he sent for her, "...Va'Tavo Elav va'Yishkav Imah..."
1. "Bachanta Libi...Tzeraftani Val Timtza"(You tested
me, to refine me - I did not pass).
(e) (Rava): "...Eich Tomru l'Nafshi Nudi Harchem Tzipor" -
David asked Hash-m 'Forgive me for the sin, so people
will not say that a bird toppled the mountain (king).'
2. "Zamosi Bal Ya'avar Pi" - if only I had not asked to
(f) (Rava): "Lecha Levadcha Chatasi...Lema'an Titzdak
b'Davrecha" - David told Hash-m 'You know that I could
have overcome my Yetzer, just I did not want that people
will say that the slave (me) overcame his Master.'
(g) (Rava): "Ki Ani l'Tzela Nachon u'Mach'ovai Negdi Samid" -
Bas Sheva was prepared for David from the six days of
creation, just she came to him through great anguish.
1. Support (Beraisa - Tana d'vei R. Yishmael): Bas
Sheva was prepared for David from the six days of
creation, just he took her before the proper time.
(h) (Rava): "...Karu v'Lo Damu" - David said, 'If I would be
torn, my blood would not spill (because it drains from me
when people shame me);'
1. When my tormentors are learning the four Misos of
Beis Din (some texts - Ohalos and Nega'im (difficult
tractates with no connection to my sin, that should
make a person careful about Lashon ha'Ra)), they
stop learning to ask me which is the death penalty
for relations with a married woman;
(i) Rav Yehudah): Even when David was sick, he fulfilled the
Onah of his 18 wives - "Yagati b'Anchasi Ascheh b'Chol
2. I answer, choking, and he has a share in the world
to come - but one who makes someone blush has no
share in the world to come.
(j) (Rav Yehudah): David thought to (Ramah - pretend to)
serve idolatry - "Va'Yhi David Ba Ad ha'Rosh Asher
Yishtachaveh Sham l'Eilohim" - 'Rosh' refers to idolatry.
(k) Chushai ha'Arki encountered David.
1. Chushai: Will people say that a Melech like yourself
will serve idolatry?!
(l) (R. Dostai of Biri): David was like a Kusi merchant (who
sells bit by bit - likewise, David asked for forgiveness
bit by bit.)
2. David: My son is about to kill me, people will think
that Hash-m was not justified in doing this to me,
it will be an open Chilul Hash-m - it is better that
I (pretend to) serve idolatry!
3. Chushai: Why did you marry a Yafes To'ar (a
beautiful woman taken in war)?
4. David: This is permitted!
5. Chushai: You did not expound, the Parshah of Ben
Sorer u'Moreh is written right after it, to teach
that one who marries a Yafes To'ar will have a Ben
Sorer u'Moreh (therefore, people will not question
1. David: "Shegi'os Mi Yavin (who can avoid sinning
(m) "V'Nikeisi mi'Pesha Rav" - David asked for total
2. Hash-m: I forgive you (for Shogeg).
3. David: "Mi'Nistaros Nakeni" (intentional sins in
4. Hash-m: I forgive you.
5. David: "Gam mi'Zedim..." (intentional sins in
6. Hash-m: I forgive you.
7. David: "Al Yimshelu Vi (Chachamim should not expound
8. Hash-m: I grant this.
9. David: "V'Nikeisi mi'Pesha Rav (my sin should not be
written in Scripture)"
10. Hash-m: That is impossible - I removed a Yud from
Sarai (when I changed her name to Sarah), the Yud
was complaining for hundreds of years until I added
it to Hoshe'a (when I changed his name to Yehoshua)
- all the more so, I cannot omit an entire Parshah!
1. Hash-m: Your son Shlomo will write "...Ha'Ba El
Eshes Re'ehu Lo Yinakeh Kol ha'Noge'a Bah"!
(n) (Rav Yehudah): David was a Metzora for six months -
"Techat'eni v'Ezov (used to Metaher Metzora'im)
2. David: Will I be forever plagued by this sin?
3. Hash-m: Accept on yourself afflictions. (He did)
1. The Shechinah departed from him - "Hashivah Li Seson
Yish'echa v'Ru'ach Nedivah Sismecheni";
(o) Question: How do we know that this was for six months?
2. The Sanhedrin separated from him - "Yashuvu Li
(p) Answer - contradiction: It says "B'Chevron Malach Sheva
Shanim", and it says "B'Chevron Malach Al Yehudah Sheva
Shanim v'Shisha Chodoshim"!
1. Resolution: The first verse does not count the six
months that he was a Metzora.
(q) David: Forgive me for the sin!
(r) Hash-m: I forgive you.
(s) David: "Asei Imi Os l'Tovah va'Yir'u Son'ai v'Yevoshu
(make a sign to show this, so my enemies will be
(t) Hash-m: I will not do so in your lifetime, rather, in
your son's day.
1. When Shlomo built the Beis ha'Mikdash and wanted to
bring the Aron into the Kodesh ha'Kodoshim, the
gates clung to each other and would not let it
enter. Shlomo sang 24 praises to Hash-m, they
2. He said "Se'u She'arim Rosheichem..." - they
3. When he said "Zochrah l'Chasdei David Avdecha", they
opened; the faces of David's enemies turned black
(from shame), all knew that Hash-m forgave David.
(a) We learn that Gechazi has no share in the world to come
from "Va'Yelech Elisha Dameshek";
3) GENERATIONS WITH NO SHARE IN THE WORLD TO COME
(b) Question: Why did Elisha go there?
(c) Answer: He went to get Gechazi to do Teshuvah, he did not
1. Elisha: Do Teshuvah!
(d) (Beraisa): One should repel with the left hand, and draw
close with the right hand, not like Elisha, who repelled
Gechazi with both hands;
2. Gechazi: You taught me - one who sins and makes
others sin, Hash-m does not allow him to repent.
i. Question: How did he make others sin?
ii. Answer #1: He used magnets to suspend
Yarov'om's idols in mid-air (making people
think that they have power).
iii. Answer #2: He carved a name of Hash-m on the
idol's mouth, it would say the first two of the
10 utterances (and people thought that the idol
was declaring "Anochi Hash-m...")
iv. Answer #3: He expelled Rabanan from learning
from Elisha - "Ha'Makom...Tzar Mimenu" (after
Gechazi left, the Talmidim were crowded -
before this, there were less Talmidim, there
was enough room).
1. Question: "Va'Yomer (Gechazi) Lo Halach
Avdecha...Va'Yomer Elav (Elisha)...ha'Es Lakachas Es
ha'Kesef v'Lakachas Begadim v'Zeisim u'Chramim
v'Tzon u'Vakar v'Avadim u'Shfachos" - Gechazi only
took money and clothes!
(e) (R. Yochanan): "Arba'ah Anashim Hayu Metzora'im" - these
were Gechazi and his three sons.
2. Answer (R. Yitzchak): At the time, Elisha was
teaching about the eight Sheratzim (rodents).
Na'aman, the head general of Aram had Tzara'as; a
girl taken captive from Eretz Yisrael told him that
Elisha would be able to cure him.
3. Elisha told him to immerse seven times in the
Yarden; Na'aman thought that he was mocking him, but
the people he was with convinced him to try it. It
worked; he wanted to give Elisha everything he had
with him, but Elisha refused to take. Na'aman left;
Gechazi slipped away, caught up with Na'aman, (lied
and said that Elisha reconsidered) and took a gift
from Na'aman. When he returned, Elisha saw that
Na'aman's Tzara'as was on Gechazi.
4. Elisha: Rasha! The time has come for you to receive
your reward for learning about the eight Sheratzim
(and all your Torah, in this world, not in the world
to come - therefore, Elisha mentioned eight things);
the Tzara'as of Na'aman should cling to you and your
5. Gechazi left, his Tzara'as was snow-white.
(f) (Beraisa - R. Shimon ben Elazar): Three things should be
repelled with the left hand, and drawn close with the
right - the Yetzer ha'Ra, a child, and a woman.
(g) (Beraisa): Elisha fell sick three times - "(1) Ve'Elisha
Chalah (2) Es Chalyo (3) Asher Yamus Bo";
1. These were for causing bears to ravage children (who
had mocked him), for repelling Gechazi with both
hands, and the sickness he died from .
(h) Until Avraham, there were no visible signs of old age;
people would see Avraham and think he was Yitzchak (and
vice-versa, because they looked the same). Avraham prayed
for a solution, and Hash-m agreed - "V'Avraham Zaken Ba
1. Until Yakov, there was no weakness (shortly before
death; people did not know when to command or bless
their children) - Yakov prayed for a solution, and
Hash-m agreed - "Va'Yomer l'Yosef Hinei Avicha
2. Until Elisha, no one ever recovered from weakness
(it only came shortly before death); he prayed, and
recovered - "Chalyo Asher Yamus Bo" - implying, he
was sick other times (and recovered).
(a) (Mishnah): The Dor ha'Mabul (generation of the flood) has
no share in the world to come, and they will not be
judged (Ramah - for they already received their
punishment, the flood) - "Lo Yadun Ruchi va'Adam l'Olam"
- there will be neither Din (judgment) nor Ru'ach;
(b) The Dor ha'Flagah (generation of the dispersion) has no
share in the world to come - "Va'Yafetz Hash-m" in this
world, "Umi'Sham Hefitzam" from the world to come.