POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Sanhedrin 68
1) THE DEATH OF REBBI ELIEZER
(a) (Mishnah - R. Akiva citing R. Yehoshua): Two people can
gather gourds; one is liable...
(b) Question: R. Akiva learned this from R. Eliezer!
1. (Beraisa): R. Eliezer fell sick, R. Akiva and his
colleagues came to visit, they were in another room.
It was Erev Shabbos; Hurkanos came to take off the
Tefilin of his father R. Eliezer, who angrily sent
(c) Answer: He learned it from R. Eliezer, but did not
i. Hurkanos (to Chachamim): I think that my father
(is about to die, he) lost his wits (he does
not agree to take off his Tefilin before
2. Chachamim saw that his mind was sound, they entered
and sat four Amos away from him (because he had been
ii. R. Eliezer: No, my son and my wife lost their
wits - they are more worried about a
mid'Rabanan law (wearing Tefilin on Shabbos)
than things for which one is stoned (they
should first finish cooking the food and light
the Shabbos candles)!
3. R. Eliezer: Why did you come?
4. Chachamim: To learn Torah from you!
5. R. Eliezer: Why didn't you come before?!
6. Chachamim: We did not have time.
7. R. Eliezer: Surely, you will (be punished for not
coming before, you will) not die natural deaths!
8. R. Akiva: How will I die?
9. R. Eliezer: Your death will be worse than theirs! I
am like a closed Sefer Torah (that people did not
open it to learn from it).
i. I learned much from my Rebbi'im, but it was
like a dog licking water from the ocean
(compared to what they knew);
10. Question (Chachamim): Do the following receive
Tum'ah (all are covered with leather)?
ii. I taught much, but it was like a stick inserted
in a tube of eye-liner (it absorbs a tiny
amount of what is there, i.e. of what I know).
iii. I know 300 laws of a bright Baheres (appearance
of Tzara'as), no one ever asked me about them!
iv. I know 300 (some say, 3000) laws of planting
gourds (through Kishuf), R. Akiva is the only
one who ever asked me about them!
v. Once we were walking together, he asked me to
teach him about planting gourds. I said
something, the field became full of gourds. He
asked me about uprooting gourds; I said
something, they all gathered to one place.
i. A ball of wool, a mold (for making shoes), an
amulet, a holder for a pearl, a small weight.
11. Answer (R. Eliezer): (I hold that) they can receive
i. If they are torn (Chachamim agree that they can
receive Tum'ah, I hold that) they may be
immersed as they are (the inside is not a
12. Question (Chachamim): Does a shoe that (was made
and) is still on the mold receive Tum'ah?
13. Answer (R. Eliezer): It is Tahor.
i. R. Eliezer dying word was 'Tahor'. R. Yehoshua
announced that the excommunication was lifted.
14. Summation of question: R. Akiva learned the law of
planting gourds from R. Eliezer, why does he cite it
in R. Yehoshua's name?
ii. They carried his coffin from Keisari to Lud, R.
Akiva was wounding himself, his blood was
spilling on the ground;
iii. He said "Avi Avi Rechev Yisrael" - I have many
coins, and no moneychanger to look at them
(i.e. no one else can answer my questions)!
1. After he learned it from R. Yehoshua, he understood
(d) Question: How could R. Eliezer do acts of Kishuf?!
1. (Mishnah): If he does an act of Kishuf, he is
(e) Answer: This does not apply if it is done in order to
learn or teach the laws of Kishuf.
1. (Beraisa): "Lo Silmad La'asos (do not learn how to
do Kishuf)" - but you may learn in order to
understand and give Halachic rulings.
***** PEREK BEN SORER U'MOREH ****
2) "BEN SORER U'MOREH"
(a) (Mishnah): A boy can become a Ben Sorer u'Moreh from the
time he brings two hairs (after 13 years) until his beard
1. This refers to the lower (i.e. pubic) beard, not the
upper one - Chachamim use a clean language.
(b) We learn from "Ki Yihyeh l'Ish *Ben*" - a son, not a
daughter; a son, not an adult.
1. A minor is exempt for he is not yet obligated to
(c) (Gemara) Question: What is the source that a minor is
1. Question #1: The Mishnah explicitly says, he is not
yet obligated to guard Mitzvos!
(d) Answer (Rav Yehudah): "Ki Yihyeh l'Ish Ben" - a son
approaching the might of a man (the beginning of his
2. Question #2: Why should we think that he is liable,
that we ask for a source to exempt him?
3. Answer: A Ben Sorer u'Moreh is not killed for his
sin, rather, because of his future (if he would
live, he would sin much more) - therefore, one might
have thought that even a minor is killed;
i. Also, 'a son, not an adult' connotes a minor.
(e) (Mishnah): ...Until his lower beard fills out.
(f) (Beraisa - R. Chiya): Until the Ever is surrounded by
(g) (Rav Dimi): The Ever itself must be surrounded, the
Beitzim need not be.
(h) (Rav Chisda): If a minor fathered a son, that son cannot
become a Ben Sorer u'Moreh - "Ki Yihyeh *l'Ish* Ben", not
if a minor has a son.
(i) Question: We need this to teach Rav Yehudah's law
(j) Answer: Had the Torah said 'Ki Yihyeh Ben l'Ish', we
would only learn Rav Yehudah's law;
1. Rather, it says "Ki Yihyeh l'Ish Ben" to teach Rav
Chisda's law as well.
(k) Question: Perhaps it only comes to teach Rav Chisda's
1. Rather, it says "L'Ish Ben" to teach Rav Yehudah's
law as well.
(l) Rav Chisda argues with Rabah.
1. (Rabah): A minor cannot father children - "V'Im Ein
2. Question: Is there a Yisrael who does not have a
Go'el (a relative who inherits him, who is commanded
to redeem him (from slavery))?
3. Answer: The verse must refer to (one who stole from)
a convert - it teaches, one must investigate whether
or not an Ish has a Go'el (perhaps he fathered
children), one need not investigate a minor (he
cannot have children).