|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1a) [line 1] B'TZIN'AH - in private, i.e. not in the presence of ten Jewish
3) [line 18] "MAYIM GENUVIM YIMTAKU, V'LECHEM SESARIM YIN'AM." - "Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant." (Mishlei 9:17)
4) [line 25] MASHMA'US DORSHIN IKA BEINAIHU - the difference of opinion between them (Rebbi Yishmael and Rebbi Akiva, see Gemara Daf 76b) is the implication of the verse, i.e. how to explain the words "Oso v'Es'hen" in the verse that deals with this topic (Vayikra 20:14)
5) [line 26] CHAMOSO L'ACHAR MISAH IKA BEINAIHU - the difference of opinion between them is whether a man who has relations with his mother-in-law after his wife's death is also liable to the death penalty of Sereifah (Rebbi Yishmael) or has transgressed an "Isura b'Alma" (Rebbi Akiva) and (a) is liable to the Kares punishment (RAMBAM Hilchos Isurei Bi'ah 2:8, BAHAG Hilchos Arayos, TOSFOS to Yevamos 94b DH me'Isura); (b) has transgressed the verse "Arur Shochev Im Chosanto," but is not liable to punishment (RASHI to Sanhedrin 76b, RAMBAN and RASHBA to Yevamos 98b)
6) [line 30] "ISH ASHER YIKACH ES ISHAH V'ES IMAH..." - the full verse in Parshas Kedoshim reads, "v'Ish Asher Yikach Es Ishah v'Es Imah, Zimah Hi; ba'Esh Yisrefu Oso v'Es'hen, v'Lo Siheyeh Zimah b'Sochechem." (Vayikra 20:14)
7) [line 34] V'NE'EMAR LEHALAN "ZIMAH" - it states there [in Parshas Acharei Mos] "Ervas Ishah u'Vitah Lo Segaleh; Es Bas Benah v'Es Bas Bitah Lo Sikach l'Galos Ervasah, Sha'arah Henah, Zimah Hi." (Vayikra 18:17)
8) [line 36] U'MAH KAN (LEMA'ALAH K'LEMATAH) [LEMATAH K'LEMA'ALAH] AF LEHALAN LEMA'ALAH K'LEMATAH - (this is the correct Girsa, according to the MAHARSHA and the DIKDUKEI SOFRIM #6, who quotes the Basilia manuscript. RASHI to Amud Beis DH Rav Ashi also quotes this line according to this Girsa)
9) [last line] HASHTA EM CHAMOSO LO KAMAH LAN - at this point, the mother of his mother-in-law has not been established (that she is prohibited and that he and she incur the Sereifah penalty)
10a) [line 1] SHE'ER HA'BA MIMENU - the descendants (lit. flesh) who issue
from him (i.e. his daughter from a woman to whom he was not married, the
daughter of his son from a woman to whom he was not married and the daughter
of his daughter from a woman to whom he was not married)
11) [line 5] ASYA "HENAH" "HENAH"; ASYA "ZIMAH" "ZIMAH" - it comes through
the double Gezeirah Shavah that compares two verses that contain the word
"Henah" and two verses that contain the word "Zimah"
12) [line 13] MINAYIN LA'ASOS SHELOSHAH DOROS LEMA'ALAH KI'SHELOSHAH DOROS LEMATAH? - From where do we learn that the woman who is in the third generation above a man's wife (i.e. his wife's mother's mother) is likened to the woman who is the third generation below a man's wife (i.e. his daughter's daughter or his son's daughter) [and she is prohibited to him and he and she receive Sereifah if they have illicit relations together]?
13) [line 14] NE'EMAR LEMATAH ZIMAH V'NE'EMAR LEMA'ALAH ZIMAH - it states below (in the verse dealing with the lower generations, Vayikra 18:17) "Zimah" and it states above (in the verse dealing with upper generations, Vayikra 20:14) "Zimah"
14a) [line 15] U'MAH B'ONESH ASAH LEMATAH K'LEMA'ALAH - and just like in the
punishment (Sereifah) [the woman of the third generation] below is learned
from (lit. is made like) [the woman of the third generation] above (Sereifah
is written in the verse regarding a man who has relations with his
mother-in-law - Vayikra 20:14)
15) [line 17] U'MAI LEMATAH? LEMATAH B'ISUR - and what does the word "Lematah" mean? "lower in [the stringency of the] prohibition"
16a) [line 17] IY MAH HI EM IMAH ASURAH - But just as [with regard to] her
(the man's wife), her mother's mother is prohibited to him (as an Ervah)
17a) [line 20] DON MINAH U'MINAH
b) [line 20] DON MINAH V'UKI B'ASRAH