|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] KUM ASEH V'SHEV V'AL TA'ASEH NINHU - [the Mitzvah of Dinim is comprised of a] "get up and do" [justice] and a "sit and do not do" [evil]. (In RASHI, the words "V'HIBATEL *MI'LO SA'ASEH* AVEL" should be "V'HIBATEL *MI'LA'ASOS* AVEL" -- RASHASH)
2) [line 4] "TORAH TZIVAH LANU MOSHE, MORASHAH KEHILAS YAKOV" - "Moshe commanded us the Torah, [it is] the inheritance of the congregation of Yakov." (Devarim 33:4) - The Gemara brings an alternate Derashah for the word "Morashah" that reads it as "Me'orasah" - "betrothed," thus equating a Nochri who learns Torah with a man who violates a Na'arah Me'orasah, incurring the death penalty of Sekilah. (But see LECHEM MISHNAH to RAMBAM Hilchos Melachim 10:9 and Background to Sanhedrin 58:19.)
3) [line 6] MAN D'AMAR ME'ORASAH - the sage who interprets the word "Morashah" homiletically, reading it as "Me'orasah" - "betrothed"
4) [line 9] SHE'HU K'CHOHEN GADOL - that he is like a Kohen Gadol (he is compared to a Kohen Gadol just like the Mishnah (Horiyos 13a) that states that a Mamzer Talmid Chacham comes before a Kohen Gadol Am ha'Aretz -- IYUN YAKOV)
5) [line 10] "[U'SHMARTEM ES CHUKOSAI V'ES MISHPATAI,] ASHER YA'ASEH OSAM HA'ADAM VA'CHAI BAHEM." - "You shall therefore keep My statutes, and My judgments; which if a man does, he shall live in them; I am HaSh-m." (Vayikra 18:5) - Since the verse uses the word "ha'Adam" - "a man," Rebbi Meir learns that it includes Nochrim as well.
6) [line 15] "ACH BASAR B'NAFSHO DAMO LO SOCHELU." - "But flesh with its life, its blood, you shall not eat." (Bereishis 9:4)
7) [line 20] KA'YOTZEI VA'DAVAR ATAH OMER - you may learn (lit. say) a similar matter [with regard to Benei Yisrael, who were also commanded not to eat Dam Min ha'Chai]. (These are the words of Rebbi Chanina ben Gamliel)
8) [line 21] "RAK CHAZAK L'VILTI ACHOL HA'DAM KI HA'DAM HU HA'NAFESH, [V'LO SOCHAL HA'NEFESH IM HA'BASAR.]" - "Only be sure that you eat not the blood; for the blood is the life; [and you may not eat the life with the flesh.]" (Devarim 12:23)
9) [line 22] (RAK CHAZAK L'VILTI ACHOL HA'DAM -- ZEH EVER MIN HA'CHAI; KI HA'DAM HU HA'NAFESH -- ZEH DAM MIN HA'CHAI) - the MAHARSHAL and the VILNA GA'ON omit these words from the text of the Gemara, except for the last words "Zeh Dam Min ha'Chai," either because (a) Rebbi Chanina ben Gamliel learns the prohibition of Ever Min ha'Chai from the end of the verse, "v'Lo Sochal ha'Nefesh Im ha'Basar," like Rebbi Yochanan and Reish Lakish (Chulin 102b), and not from "Rak Chazak l'Vilti Achol ha'Dam;" or (b) the SIFRI (Parshas Re'eh, Piska 76, DH v'Lo Sochal ha'Nefesh) quotes Rebbi Chanina ben Gamiliel, stating that he learns the prohibition of *Dam* Min ha'Chai from the end of the verse, "v'Lo Sochal ha'Nefesh Im ha'Basar," revealing that our Gemara has only cited the *beginning* of the verse from which Rebbi Chanina learns his Halachah, "Rak Chazak..." (The abbreviation "v'Gomer" stands for the end of the verse.) He does not learn Dam Min ha'Chai from "Ki ha'Dam Hu ha'Nefesh."
10) [line 24] DAM HAKAZAH SHEHA'NESHAMAH YOTZ'AH VO - the life-blood that is let during the process of bloodletting. (The Gemara in Kerisus 22a explains which blood is considered the life-blood. It does not mean that the loss of this blood causes the person or animal to die; to the contrary, it is part of the normal process of bloodletting. Rather, this blood is the same type of blood as that which when let uncontrollably, causes the person or animal to die.)
11) [line 31] GID HA'NASHEH V'ALIBA D'REBBI YEHUDAH
12) [line 34] MID'ISNI AVODAS KOCHAVIM B'SINAI - since [the prohibition against] idol worship was taught [in the Ten Commandments that were given] on [Mount] Sinai [in the verses, "Lo Yiheheh Lecha..." (Shemos 20:3-6)]
13) [line 35] V'ASHKECHAN D'ANASH OVDEI KOCHAVIM ILAVAH - and we find that Benei Noach were punished for [transgressing] it [in Devarim 18:12 -- RASHI]
14) [line 39] LEIKA MIDA'AM - there is nothing
16) [line 8] KOL DAVAR SHEB'MINYAN TZARICH MINYAN ACHER L'HATIRO - Any law
that was enacted by a group of Sages requires another group of Sages in
order to rescind it
17) [line 15] IY BA'IS EIMA MILAH ME'IKARA L'AVRAHAM HU D'KA MIZHAR LEI RACHAMANA - alternately, it is possible to answer that Milah [was not included with Gid ha'Nasheh in those Mitzvos that were commanded to Benei Noach and not repeated at Har Sinai since Milah] originally was commanded [only] to Avraham by HaSh-m (and is not considered one of the Mitzvos that was commanded to Benei Noach, as the Gemara originally assumed. Gid ha'Nasheh does not fall under this description (a) because there is no verse where the Mitzvah is repeated as in the case of Milah; (b) because according to the Rabanan (see above, entry #11:d) the Mitzvah was *only* commanded to Benei Yisrael at Har Sinai.)
18) [line 20] BENEI KETURAH - the descendents of Avraham Avinu through his wife Keturah (Bereishis 25:1-5)
19) [line 20] HA'AMAR REBBI YOSEI BAR AVIN... - (this is the Gemara's answer)
20) [line 21] "... ES BERISI HEFAR." - "[And the uncircumcised male child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people;] he has broken My covenant." (Bereishis 17:14)
21) [line 21] L'RABOS BENEI KETURAH - (a) to include the *sons* of Keturah [alone, and not their descendents] (RASHI; see MAHARSHA who questions this explanation); (b) to include the sons of Keturah [and their descendents, for all generations. And since they have intermarried with and are presently indistinguishable from the Benei Yishmael, all of them are required to perform Milah on the eighth day. However, they are not killed for transgressing this Mitzvah (RAMBAM Hilchos Melachim 10:7-8)]
22) [line 22] LO HUTAR LO BASAR L'ACHILAH - it was not permitted to him [to kill] meat for food (However, if an animal died of natural causes, he was permitted to eat the meat -- RASHI to Bereishis 1:29 (see SIFSEI CHACHAMIM) and to Sanhedrin 57a DH l'Mishrei)
23) [line 22] "... LACHEM YIHEYEH L'OCHLAH. UL'CHOL CHAYAS HA'ARETZ..." - "[And HaSh-m said, 'Behold, I have given you every vegetable bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, on which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed;] to you it shall be for food. And to all the animals of the earth [and to all the birds of the sky, and to all the creeping things in which there is life, every vegetative grass as food,' and it was so.]" (Bereishis 1:29-30)
24) [line 25] MAI TALMUDA? - and what is the teaching [that emerges from this verse that causes us to learn that Ever Min ha'Chai is prohibited while Ever Min ha'Sheretz is not]?
25a) [line 25] MI SHE'DAMO CHALUK MI'BESARO - the being, the blood of which
is separate from its flesh [in that they are prohibited by separate Azharos
26) [line 26] "... U'REDU VI'DEGAS HA'YAM..." - "[And HaSh-m blessed them, and HaSh-m said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it;] and have dominion over the fish of the sea, [and over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.']" (Bereishis 1:28)
27) [line 28] HINHIG - one who drives animals (KIL'EI BEHEMAH: MANHIG)
28a) [line 28] IZA - goat
29) [line 30] DASH B'AVAZIN V'TARNEGOLIN L'REBBI YOSI B'REBBI YEHUDAH MAI? -
What is the Halchah if one threshes with geese and chickens according to
Rebbi Yosi b'Rebbi Yehudah [who requires that the "worker" must use both his
hands and feet]? (PO'EL B'CHEREM / CHASIMAS SHOR B'DISHO)
30) [line 32] CHAVAL AL SHAMASH GADOL SHE'AVAD MIN HA'OLAM! - Woe for the remarkable servant that the world lost!
31) [line 33] ECHAD MESHAGRO LA'TZAFON - one [snake] he (his master) would send to the north
32a) [line 34] (SANDALVONIM) [SANDALCHONIM] TOVIM - precious sardonyx gems
33) [line 35] MAFSHILIN RETZU'AH TACHAS ZENAVO - one would fasten the strap [of a pail or box] under its tail
34) [line 35] MOTZI VAH AFAR L'GINASO UL'CHURVASO - and he (the snake) would collect [in the pail or box] dirt for his (the master's) garden and his destroyed building (in which the roof has collapsed, leaving an open area usually used for planting) [for use in the Ginah and Churvah, such as to cover up Tzo'ah (excrement)]
35) [line 36] MEISEV - reclining (as on a dining couch)
40) [line 40] "HA'KEFIRIM SHO'AGIM LA'TAREF..." - "The young lions roar for their prey, [and seek their food from HaSh-m.]" (Tehilim 104:21)
41) [line 40] NECHISU LEI TARTEI ATMASA - there came down [from the sky] two flank [of meat]
42a) [line 40] CHADA ACHLUHA - they ate one
43) [line 43] YAROD NALA! - You silly Yarod-bird! (The Yarod is a bird of solitary habits, mentioned in connection with the ostrich (Tosefta Kil'ayim 5:8). RASHI states that this bird appears to be crying or mourning, a hint to Rebbi Zeira's customs of self-affliction and fasting -- see TESHUVOS CHAVOS YA'IR #152, cited by the GILYON HA'SHAS to Rashi)
44) [line 43] HA'AMREI LEI, "EIN DAVAR TAMEI YORED MIN HA'SHAMAYIM" - they already told him, "Nothing non-Kosher falls from the sky."
45) [last line] AF AL HA'KISHUF - [a Ben Noach is] also commanded [not to engage] in witchcraft (as described in the Mishnah and Gemara, Sanhedrin 67a)