|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 6] MIDA'AM ACHARINA - [with regard to] something else (i.e. she'Lo Kedarkah)
2) [line 13] HA'ME'AREH (HA'ARA'AH)
3) [line 22] HO'IL V'CHULEI KERA LI'DERASHA HU D'ASI, KESIVA NAMI MILSA DI'DERASHA - since the entire verse (Vayikra 20:19) comes (i.e. was written in the Torah) for a Derashah, the Torah additionally includes in it a matter involving another Derashah. Superficially, this verse specifies the punishment of Kares for relations with the sister of one's father or of one's mother. This fact is unnecessary since the Kares punishment has already been specified for all Arayos (Vayikra 18:29). The Gemara (Yevamos 54b, lower half of the Amud) brings a Derashah taught by the apparent repetition of this verse.
4) [line 26] KEVASTAN! - (a) You have caused me anguish (RASHI here and to Kidushin 26b) since you have asked about a situation that is impossible (RASHI here); (b) you have committed Geneivas Da'as (lit. robbing of the mind) by tricking me with beguiling words (RABEINU CHANANEL); (c) you have caused my intestines to churn, causing me to feel that I must vomit (ARUCH Erech Kevastan and RIF, as cited by the marginal note in Vilna Shas), exactly as if you had shown me a disgusting and repulsive object. The word "Kivsa" refers to a person who has eaten an Achilah Gasah (an inordinate amount of food) and suffers distress until he is assailed by both diarrhea and vomiting (ARUCH ibid.)
5) [line 27] MESHAMESH MES - having relations [with a] dead [Ever]
6) [line 33] ILANOS (ASHEIRAH)
7) [line 34] HA'MAS'EH ES CHAVEIRO MI'DARCHEI CHAYIM L'DARCHEI MAVES - one who misleads his fellow man from the ways of life to the ways of death
8) [line 36] HA'MISHTACHAVEH LI'VEHEMTO - [a Nochri] who bows down and worships his animal. (Normally, when one makes an object into an idol, that idol becomes Asur b'Hana'ah (forbidden to derive benefit from it) (one may not derive benefit from an idol, Devarim 7:26); an animal, however, cannot become Asur b'Hana'ah as a result of being worshipped (Temurah 29a).)
9) [line 9] BAS SHALOSH SHANIM MISKADESHES B'VI'AH (KIDUSHEI KETANAH AL
10) [line 12] U'METAM'AH ES BO'ALAH L'TAMEI MISHKAV TACHTON K'ELYON (BO'EL
11) [line 13] OCHELES BI'TERUMAH
12) [line 14] ECHAD MIN HA'PESULIM - one of those men who [through marital relations] invalidate a woman (who is the daughter of a Kohen) from eating Terumah (Vayikra 22:12), or who invalidate a woman (who is not the daughter of a Kohen) from marrying a Kohen. These men include a Nochri, Chalal, Nasin, and Mamzer). The woman will only become Pesulah l'Kehunah if she is over the age of three. (See Background to Bava Basra 141:27.)
13) [line 16] MUMASIN AL YADAH - they are killed because of her
15) [line 24] EINO MA'ACHIL - he (i.e. the marriage to him) does not permit
her to eat Terumah
16a) [line 25] POSEL ES HA'BEHEMAH ME'AL GAVEI HA'MIZBE'ACH - he invalidates
the animal (with whom he had relations) from being offered as Korban upon
the Mizbe'ach (when there is only one witness)
17) [line 36] V'HEICHI DAMI? OVED KOCHAVIM HA'BA AL HA'BEHEMAH... - and what is the case [in which there is a stumbling block (Takalah) but there is no shame (Kalon)]? [The case is one in which] a Nochri has relations with an animal (the case about which the students asked Rav Sheshes (Daf 55a)).
18) [line] HA'MEGADEF The Torah states that a Megadef is punishable with Kares (Bamidbar 15:30). There are two opinions regarding the definition of the Megadef in that verse: (a) a person who curses Hashem; (b) a person who plays music and sings to Avodah Zarah. However, the Megadef in our Mishnah is clearly the former, since the Mishnah is explicitly discussing the laws of a blasphemer.