|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] "ISH" - The entire Pasuk is "v'Ish Asher Yishkav Es Eshes Aviv, Ervas Aviv Gilah; Mos Yumsu Sheneihem Demeihem Bam" (Vayikra 20:11), which the Beraisa now proceeds to expound.
2) [line 5] MUFNEH L'HAKISH VELA'DUN MIMENU GEZEIRAH SHAVAH - [this phrase, "Ervas Aviv," is not used for a specific derivation, but rather] it is free to be used to link and to learn a Gezeirah Shavah from it. (The Gemara later will explain what the Gezeirah Shavah is.) (GEZEIRAH SHAVAH - see Background to Sanhedrin 40:24)
3) [line 10] ONESH SHAMANU; AZHARAH MINAYIN? - We have learned the source
for the punishment; from where do we learn the warning (Azharah)? (LO ANASH
HA'KASUV ELA IM KEN HIZHIR)
4) [line 11] "ERVAS AVICHA [V'ERVAS IMECHA] LO SEGALEH" - "The nakedness of your father [and the nakedness of your mother] do not expose" (Vayikra 18:7) - According to the Beraisa (which expresses the view of Rebbi Yehudah), this does not refer actually to immorality with one's father, but rather with one's father's wife.
5) [line 25] LISHNA MA'ALYA HU - "clean" language (Rav Yehudah did not want to discuss explicitly a Jew committing such heinous acts)
6) [line 31] EIN ONSHIN MIN HA'DIN
7) [line 47] TAKALAH - a stumbling block (the animal is the object which caused a person to sin and be killed)
8) [line 3] "LO YIHEYEH KADESH MI'BENEI YISRAEL" - "There shall be no licentious man among the sons of Yisrael." (Devarim 23:18)
9) [line 4] "V'GAM KADESH HAYAH BA'ARETZ, ASU K'CHOL HA'TO'AVOS HA'GOYIM ASHER HORISH [HA'SHEM MIPNEI BENEI YISRAEL.]" - "And also licentiousness was in the land -- they did like all of the abominations of the nations which HaSh-m had driven out from before Benei Yisrael." (Melachim I 14:24)
10) [last line] (ZACHAR) [HA'BA AL HA'ZACHUR] BEN TESHA SHANIM V'YOM ECHAD - a male (who is the passive partner, the "Nishkav," with another male) who is nine years and one day old... (Rashi explains that this is one case, and "ha'Ba Al ha'Behemah" (55a) is different case; the Rambam, however, understands that this is all one case (i.e. a male who is nine years old who is "Nishkav" with an animal)