POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafPesachim 112
PESACHIM 112 - this Daf has been dedicated by Lee and Marsha Weinblatt of
1) DANGERS ASSOCIATED WITH FOOD AND DRINK
(a) A Ruach Ra'ah descends on (even sealed) edibles under a bed.
2) A POOR PERSON RECEIVING FOUR CUPS FROM THE "TAMCHUI"
(b) It is forbidden and dangerous to drink water on the nights of the
fourth day and Shabbos, owing to Ruach Ra'ah.
1. Question: What can a thirsty person do?
(c) There is a danger of blindness to drink from rivers and pools at
2. Answer: He should first recite the seven Kolos which appear in
Tehilim 29 over water.
3. If he is unable to do so, he must recite the formula.
4. If not, he should notify a friend of his need to drink.
5. If unavailable, he should bang the lid against the pitcher.
6. If not, he should throw something into the water before
1. If he is thirsty, he should notify his friend as above.
2. If not, he should recite a formula, reducing the Shed's name.
(a) Question: This is obvious?
3) THE TEACHINGS OF R. AKIVA
(b) Answer: It is needed to not apply the opinion of R. Akiva here.
1. He taught that one should make his Shabbos as a weekday and
not depend on others.
2. In this case, the proclamation of the miracle overrides.
3. R. Akiva meant that a poor person must still do *something* to
mark Shabbos, even if it only means a piece of fish in batter.
4. This is in keeping with R. Yehudah b. Teima who taught that
one should push beyond his assumed limits to do G-d's Will.
(a) R. Akiva taught his son, R. Yehoshua, seven things.
1. Do not reside in the busy section of the city.
(b) R. Akiva taught five things to R. Shimon b. Yochai when the former
was imprisoned (after an exchange in which R. Shimon b. Yochai
forced R. Akiva to teach him).
2. Do not reside in a city whose leaders are Torah Scholars.
3. Do not enter your home suddenly, unannounced, all the more so
to your friend's house.
4. Do not walk barefoot.
5. Eat in the morning as protection against heat and cold.
6. Make your Shabbos as a weekday and do not depend on others.
7. Join a person whose mazel is shining on him.
(i) [R. Papa] This implies a partnership with him, not only
buying from or selling to him.
(ii) [R. Shmuel b. Yitzhok] Merely having a coin from a
successful person (Iyov) is sufficient for blessing.
1. When you wish to hang, do so from a tall tree.
2. Teach your son from a corrected text.
(i) Question: What is this concern?
3. Do not cook with a pot which your friend has cooked in.
(ii) Answer: An error which seeps in, sticks.
(i) Question: What is this concern?
(ii) Do not marry a divorcee during her former husband's
lifetime (as was taught that four "thoughts" enter when
two divorced people wed).
(iii) Others apply this even to a widow, since the new
husband may not compare favorably with the first.
4) THE TEACHINGS OF REBBI
4. A great and profitable Mitzvah is to lend fruits with a field
as collateral and deduct the loan from the produce you eat
from the field.
5. A Mitzvah with a pure body is getting married when one has
(a) Rebbi taught his sons four things:
5) DEALING WITH OXEN
1. Do not dwell in a city of scoffers as they will draw you in.
2. Do not sit on the bed of an Aramean woman.
(i) This may mean not to go to sleep without Shema.
3. Do not seek to evade the tax, lest they take everything.
(ii) It may mean not to marry a convert.
(iii) It may be literal, on account of the incident of R.
4. Do not stand before an ox when it emerges from a meadow.
(i) Owing to the Satan dancing between its horns.
(ii) This speaks of a black ox during Nisan.
(a) Stay 50 Amos away from a Tam ox, and out of sight from a Mu'ad.
6) SIX RISK FACTORS FOR LEPROSY
(b) Even if the ox is feeding, flee.
(c) The formulae for dealing with an ox, a lion, a camel and a ship.
(a) Six factors are listed and explained.
7) ENTERING A HOUSE WITH OR WITHOUT A CAT
(a) [R. Papa] A home which has a cat should not be entered without
shoes (as explained).
8) R. YISHMAEL b. YOSI CHARGED REBBI
(b) [Others] A home which does not have a cat should not be entered in
the dark (as explained).
(a) R. Yishmael instructed Rebbi three things:
9) R. YOSI b. R. YEHUDAH CHARGED REBBI
1. Do not cause a blemish in yourself (i.e. do not get entangled
with three people, who could turn on you in court).
2. Do not stand by the goods if you do not have the wherewithal
to make your purchase.
3. Do not be together with your wife on the first night (when she
has been Muchzak Nidah d'Oreisa - Rav).
(a) Not to go out alone at night.
10) HAVING RELATIONS WITH AN INFANT ON THE BED
(b) Not to stand naked before a candle.
(c) Not to enter into a new bath (12 months).
1. The Bereisa provides support for (b) (Nichpeh) and;
2. Not to have relations by the light of a candle (Nichpin).
(a) It is dangerous for the infant to be on the bed (Nichpeh).
11) GOING OUT ALONE
(b) There are several qualifications listed:
1. It is not dangerous if the child is over one year.
2. Nor if the child's head is near their head.
3. Nor if a hand is upon the child.
(a) One must not go out on the nights of Shabbos and the fourth day.
(b) This is owing to the Shed and 180,000 destructive Malachim.
(c) The Shed would be out every night but for the intervention of R.
Chanina b. Dosa (who allowed these two nights).
(d) Abaye also encountered the Shed and restricted her still further.