|(Permission is granted to redistribute this material as long as the Kollel
header and the subscription info at the end are included.)
CHARTS FOR LEARNING THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Pesachim Chart #7
Pesachim Daf 54b
THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE THREE DIFFERENT TYPES OF FAST DAYS
||WASHING ONE'S FACE,
HANDS AND FEET(6)
||WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT
THE CORRECT DATE (7)
IN SHEMONEH ESREH
(1) In summary, on Tisha b'Av, *none of these Chumros* are practiced
(according to the opinion that permits eating during Bein ha'Shemashos)
except for the Isur of washing one's face, hands and feet.
(2) In summary, on Yom Kippur, *all of these Chumros* apply, except for
reciting 24 blessings in the Shemoneh Esreh.
(3) According to Shmuel, it is permitted to eat during Bein ha'Shemashos on
Tisha b'Av and on a Ta'anis Tzibur. According to Rava and Rav Yehudah, it is
Asur on Tisha b'Av (and it appears that they hold it is also Asur on a
(4) It is Asur to do Melachah from nightfall (RASHI DH Bein ha'Shemashos, DH
Lo l'Melachah). According to Rashi in Ta'anis (13a, k'she'Amru Asur), it is
only Asur to do Melachah during the day.
(5) This is me'Ikar ha'Din. However, there are some places which have a
Minhag not to do Melachah on Tisha b'Av. (According to Rebbi Yehudah in the
following Mishnah, in Galil the Chachamim forbid doing Melachah me'Ikar
(6) The same applies to washing one's entire body with cold water (TOSFOS).
(7) That is, one who is travelling in an uninhabited area, even in Eretz
Yisrael, and is in doubt as to what day of the month it is. In Chutz
la'Aretz, though, it is not necessary to keep a second day of Yom Kippur
nowadays (TOSFOS -- however, from RASHI it seems that this Halachah also
applies to people in Chutz la'Aretz nowadays).
For questions or sponsorship information, write to email@example.com