BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafPesachim 54
1) [line 6] V'CHEN AMA DEVAR - and that (the opinion of Rebbi Yochanan) is what the people take (accept) [and act accordingly]
2a) [line 15] MEFAZRAN - spreads them out (if he needs to, sometimes saying Borei Me'orei ha'Esh immediately and Borei Minei Besamim much later)
b) [line 15] MECHANSAN - gathers them together (and says them over a cup of wine)
3) [line 18] BE'ER - the Well of Miriam, the travelling well that accompanied Benei Yisrael in the desert
4) [line 18] HA'MAN - the Man, the heavenly food that Benei Yisrael ate in the desert
5) [line 18] KESHES - rainbow
6) [line 18] KESAV - (a) the sounds of the Hebrew letters; (b) the shape of the Hebrew letters
7) [line 18] MICHTAV - (a) the shape of the letters; (b) according to the pronunciation MECHATEV - the stylus with which they are written
8) [line 19] PESICHAS PI HA'ASON - the ability of the donkey of Bil'am to speak (Bamidbar 22:28-30)
9) [line 19] PESICHAS PI HA'ARETZ LIVLO'A ES HA'RESHA'IM - the potential for the ground to open up under Korach and his followers (Bamidbar 16:30-33)
10) [line 20] HA'UR - fire
11) [line 20] HA'PERED - the mule
12) [line 21] HA'AYIL - the ram that Avraham sacrificed in place of Yitzchak on Har ha'Moriyah (Bereishis 22:13)
13) [line 21] HA'SHAMIR - the Shamir worm that Shlomo ha'Melech used in the construction of the Beis ha'Mikdash (Gitin 68a)
14) [line 21] HA'TZEVAS - tongs (for forging metal utensils)
15) [line 22] HA LA'I - truly; therefore it must be
16) [line 23] DEFUS - a mold
17) [line 23] V'YIKBA'ENAH KIVAN - and it can be forged quickly, easily
18) [line 28] "B'TEREM HARIM YULADU ... TASHEV ENOSH AD DAKA, VA'TOMER SHUVU VENEI ADAM" - "You turn man [from strength] to frailty, and You say, 'Return, (i.e. repent) children of man.'" (Tehilim 90:3) - "Until frailty" also implies "until man's heart becomes frail before HaSh-m"
19) [line 30] "MI'KEDEM" - (lit. "eastward") "beforehand" (Bereishis 2:8)
20) [line 30] "KI ARUCH ..." - "For its hearth has been prepared long ago; yes, for the king it is in readiness. He has made it deep and large; its bonfire is of much fire and wood. The breath of HaSh-m, like a stream of brimstone, kindles it." (Yeshayahu 30:33) - Although the prophecy deals with the downfall of the Assyrian king Sancheriv and the destruction of his army during their siege of Yerushalayim in the time of King Chizkiyahu, Chazal also interpret this verse as referring to the punishment of all sinners in Gehinom.
21) [line 32] "YEHI SHEMO ..." - "May his name endure forever; may his name continue as long as the sun ..." (Tehilim 72:17)
22) [line 32] CHALALAH - its chasm, expanse
23) [line 45] "HU ANAH ..." - "He is Anah who discovered the Yemim in the desert while herding donkeys for his father, Tziv'on." (Bereishis 36:24) - Anah was the first man to mate a male donkey with a female horse, yielding the mule.
24) [line 49] SHEVOR MALKA - King Shapur, the king of Persia
25) [last line] HA'MAZIKIN - Sheidim, demons
26) [line 2] YOM HA'NECHAMAH - (a) the day when each person will be comforted (and spared from his troubles) (RASHI); (b) the day that Benei Yisrael will be comforted (and redeemed from Galus) (BEREISHIS RABAH 65:12, see MAHARSHA)
27) [line 3] OMEK HA'DIN - (a) the final outcome of a court case; (b) the final judgement of the Heavenly Court for each person
28) [line 5] MALCHUS CHAYEVES - Rome (Esav)
29) [line 15] TA'ANIS TZIBUR
(a) When a community suffers because of lack of rain or other troubles, the Beis Din enacts public fasts to cause the people to repent so that the divine decree will be rescinded. In all, thirteen fasts are enacted in groups of three, three and seven, respectively. Only the Torah scholars fast on the first set of three fasts (Ta'anis 10a). The next three and the seven are decreed upon the entire community (ibid. 12b).
(b) The groups of three take place in a pattern of Monday-Thursday-Monday. During the last seven, which follow the pattern M-T-M-T-M-T-M, the Chazan prays a special Shemoneh Esrei prayer that consists of twenty-four Berachos, as specified in Maseches Ta'anis 15a. The six extra Berachos are inserted in between the seventh and eighth Berachos of the regular Shemoneh Esrei prayer.
29) [line 27] KEVI'A D'YARCHA - [to make the fast day consist of two days if there is a doubt as to] the day when the first of the lunar month was set
30) [line 29] MASHLIMOS - finish [the fast]
31) [line 43] ESRIM V'ARBA'AH - the twenty-four extra Berachos inserted into the Shemoneh Esrei prayer of the Chazan on the last seven fast days (see above, entry #29)
32a) [line 44] RISHONOS - like the *first* set of (three) public fasts that are decreed upon the entire community
b) [line 44] ACHARONOS - like the *last* set of (ten) public fasts that are decreed upon the entire community