BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafNidah 19
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach, Rav B. Rensburg
and the parenthetical marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is
devoted to any *OTHER* changes that we feel ought to be made in Gemara,
Rashi or Tosfos.)
 Gemara 19b [line 22]:
"*Ela* Hachi ka'Amar Lehu, Alfuha be'Gezerah Shavah"
The word "Ela" seems to be extra.
1) [line 5] KEREN KARKOM - luster of saffron; i.e. its leaves which have a
2) [line 6] MEIMEI ADAMAH - a suspension of a certain type of earth in
3) [line 6] MAZUG - red wine mixed with water
4) [line 6] K'MEIMEI TILTAN - water in which fenugreek is soaked
5) [line 7] YAROK - yellow
6) [line 11] CHERES - adrement, vitriol, black ink used by shoemakers
7) [line 11] AMOK MI'KEN - darker than this
8) [line 12] DI'HA MI'KEN - lighter than this
9) [line 12] KA'BARUR SHE'BO - like the clearest (shiniest, brightest) part
10) [line 13] BIK'AS BEIS KEREM - a valley in the Galil in the vicinity of
present day Karmiel
11) [line 13] MEITZAF MAYIM - he covers the earth with a minute layer of
12) [line 14] YAYIN HA'SHARONI - wine that comes from Sharon
13) [line 23] NIG'EI BATIM
The marks of Tzara'as for houses consist of streaks or spots that are
intense green or intense red.
(a) If Tzara'as is found on a house, it is put into quarantine by a Kohen
for a week.
14) [line 23] NIG'EI BEGADIM
(b) The Kohen returns after seven days to check the house. If the Tzara'as
has spread, one must remove (Choletz) the stones with Tzara'as from the
house, scrape off the surrounding plaster, insert new stones and re-plaster
the entire house. (The same applies if the Tzara'as spreads before the end
of the week.) The house is then put into quarantine for another week. If
the Tzara'as has remained the same afte the first week, the Kohen leaves it
as is and returns again seven days later.
(c) If, after the second week, the Tzara'as has either remained the same or
spread, one must remove (Choletz) the stones with Tzara'as from the house,
scrape off the surrounding plaster, insert new stones and re-plaster the
entire house. The house is then put into quarantine for another week
(d) If the Tzara'as returns to the house during the following week, the
owner must dismantle (Notetz) the entire house (Vayikra 14:45). The stones
from the house must be taken out of the city and remain Asur b'Hana'ah
The marks of Tzara'as for clothes consist of streaks or spots that are
intense green or intense red.
(a) If spots of Tzara'as which are at least a Gris in size appear on a
garment, the garment is put into quarantine by a Kohen for a week.
15) [line 32] GERISIN - [marks of Tzara'as the size of] a Cilcian bean
(b) If, after one week, the spots are even bigger than before, the entire
garment is burned. (The same applies if the Tzara'as spreads before the end
of the week.) If the spots remained the same size, the garment is put into
quarantine for yet another week.
(c) If after the second week the Tzara'as has either remained the same or
spread, the entire garment is burned. If the spots of Tzara'as remain but
have faded somewhat, then only the spots are cut out from the garment and
burned and the rest of the garment is Tahor. If Tzara'as returns to the
garment after the old Tzara'as has been cut out, the entire garment is
15) [line 38] PERICHAS BEGADIM (PARACH KULO LAVAN)
If the marks of Tzara'as spread to the entire cloth, the cloth is Tahor.
This is learned from the Tzara'as of a person, where the Torah states that
if the marks of Tzara'as spread over his entire body, he becomes Tahor, as
stated in the Pasuk (Vayikra 13:13) "Kulo Hafach Lavan Tahor Hu"
16a) [line 39] NE'EMAR "KARACHAS V'GABACHATS" BI'VGADIM - "Pecheses Hi,
b'Karachto O v'Gabachto" ("It is a penetrating mark on the smooth or fluffy
side [of the cloth]"; alt., "on his new or worn cloth") (Vayikra 13:55)
b) [line 39] V'NE'EMAR "KARACHAS V'GABACHAS" B'ADAM - "v'Chi Yiheyeh
va'Karachas O va'Gabachas, Nega Lavan Adamdam; Tzara'as Porachas Hi
b'Karachto O v'Gabachto" ("However, if he has a bright pink mark on his
bald spot or where his hairline has receded, it may be a sign of the
Tzara'as curse on his bald spot or hairless forehead") (Vayikra 13:42)
18) [line 47] SHACHOR, ADOM HU, ELA SHE'LAKAH - black blood is really red
blood that has changed color
19) [line 48] KACHOL - blue
20) [line 10] A'MANA - on a garment
21) [line 17] SHE'MIS'AGEL V'YOTZE - builds up inside the body until it
eventually comes out
22) [line 22] ALFUHA BI'GZERAH SHAVAH - learn it through a Gezerah Shavah
23) [line 23] "SHELACHAYICH PARDES RIMONIM [IM PRI MEGADIM]" - literally,
"Your arid areas/offshoots are an orchard of pomegranates and precious
fruits"; homiletically it means "When you send forth the blood of Nidah,
you are like a locked-up orchard and thereby produce precious children"
(Shir ha'Shirim 4:13). (The previous Pasuk is "Gan Na'ul Achosi Chalah; Gal
Na'ul, Ma'ayan Chasum" (As chaste as a locked garden, My sister, O bride; a
spring that is locked up, a sealed fountain").
24) [line 24] ADAM DAN KAL V'CHOMER L'ATZMO ... V'EIN ADAM DAN GEZERAH
SHAVAH L'ATZMO- since a Kal v'Chomer is based on logic, a person may make
up a Kal v'Chomer without a Kabbalah from his Rebbi. One may not, however,
make up a Gezeirah Shavah.
25a) [line 34] MA'ACHOLES SHEL ROSH - head-lice
b) [line 35] (MA'ACHOLES) D'CHULEI GUFA - body-lice