POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Nedarim 50
12) R. AKIVA'S RISE TO GREATNESS AND WEALTH
(a) R. Yehudah lifted the mattress and showed the messenger
1. 'I have money; I do not want to get physical
pleasure in this world'.
(b) R. Akiva engaged (Rachel,) the daughter of Kalba Savua;
when Kalba Savua found out, he vowed that his daughter
may not benefit from his property.
1. They got married in winter; they slept where the
straw was kept; he would pick the straw from her
(c) Eliyahu appeared to them as a man begging for some straw
for his wife that just gave birth.
2. R. Akiva: If I would have the means, I would make
for you a gold ornament with a picture of
1. R. Akiva: We are more fortunate than he - he lacks
(d) R. Akiva learned for 12 years by R. Eliezer and R.
Yehoshua; he returned home.
2. Rachel: Go learn by a Rebbi.
1. From outside the house, he heard a troublemaker
taunt his wife - 'Your father was right to forbid
his property on you!
(e) R. Akiva learned for another 12 years; he returned with
24,000 Talmidim. Everyone came to greet him, including
i. Your husband is not from an important family as
2. Rachel: If he would heed me, I would want him to
remain another 12 years!
ii. He has abandoned you; you are as a widow in his
3. R. Akiva (to himself): Since she permits me, I will
1. A troublemaker: How dare you go to greet him,
without nice clothing?!
(f) She came to see him; the Talmidim didn't let her.
2. Rachel: "A Tzadik knows the soul of his animal"
(i.e. he knows I don't have better clothing).
1. R. Akiva: Allow her! My learning and yours belongs
(is due) to her.
(g) Kalba Savua asked him to annul his vow; he did so.
(h) R. Akiva became wealthy from 6 sources.
1. From Kalba Savua.
2. From a wooden image of a ram (filled with coins)
that is placed on ships.
i. Once, the crew forgot it on the shore, and R.
Akiva found it.
3. From the treasure chest of a ship.
i. R. Akiva once gave 4 Zuz to sailors and asked
them to buy something for him. All they found
was a chest; they brought it to him. They said
- wait until we get more for you.
4. From a wealthy woman.
ii. R. Akiva found that it was full of money.
A. A ship once sank; all the money aboard was in
i. (R. Akiva once borrowed money from her. He fell
sick and could not repay on time; Hash-m sent
even more money to her. She gave the excess to
13) TORAH AND BEAUTY
5. Turnusrufus' wife (she later converted and married
R. Akiva, and gave him great wealth).
(i) Rav Gamda gave 4 Zuz to sailors and asked them to buy
something for him. They didn't find anything; they bought
a monkey. The monkey fled and entered a hole; they found
it sitting on jewels; the sailors generously gave them
all to Rav Gamda.
6. K'tia Bar Shalom (he gave all his wealth to R.
(a) Kaiser's daughter asked R. Yehoshua: Why is such glorious
Torah in such an ugly vessel (yourself)?
14) COOKED DISHES
(b) R. Yehoshua: Learn from your father's house - what do
they put their wine in?
(c) Kaiser's daughter: In earthenware.
(d) R. Yehoshua: Everyone does so! You should put your wine
in silver and gold vessels!
1. She did so; the wine spoiled.
(e) R. Yehoshua: Also Torah (spoils if in beautiful vessels).
(f) Kaiser's daughter: But there are beautiful Chachamim!
(g) R. Yehoshua: If they would be ugly, they would learn
(h) A woman came before Rav Yehudah for judgment; the outcome
was against her.
1. The woman: Would your Rebbi, Shmuel, have judged
2. Rav Yehudah: Did you know him?
3. The woman: Yes - he was short, had a large stomach,
dark (freckled), and had big teeth.
4. Rav Yehudah: Did you come to disgrace him?! You are
i. She died.
(a) (Mishnah): (One who vowed not to eat cooked dishes) may
eat a Tormita egg.
15) REBBI'S BANQUET
(b) Question: What is this?
(c) Answer (Shmuel): One puts an egg 1000 times in hot water,
and 1000 times in cold water, until it is small enough to
be swallowed whole.
1. If a sick person eats it, the sickness will cling to
the egg; when the egg leaves his system, a doctor
can look at it and will know how to cure him.
(d) Shmuel tested himself so much in this fashion that he
grew weak; his family pulled out their hair from grief.
2. A slave that knows how to make this egg is worth
(e) (Mishnah): A worker working with Klufsin is not entitled
to eat from Bnos Shu'ach (a different species of fig), or
1. Klufsin is a species of fig from which Lifdi (a fig
dish) is made.
(f) Reuven hired Shimon to teach Reuven's slave 1000 types of
Lifdi; he only taught him 800. Reuven summoned Shimon for
judgment in front of Rebbi.
1. Rebbi: Our fathers said 'We have forgotten goodness'
- we have not even seen goodness (one cannot expect
to teach him 1000 types).
(a) Rebbi was marrying off his son R. Shimon; he did not
invite Bar Kapara. Bar Kapara wrote on the Chupah 'Rebbi
spent 240 million Dinars on this wedding feast, and did
not invite Bar Kapara!
1. Bar Kapara (to Rebbi): If Hash-m gives such wealth
to those (you) that transgress his will - how much
more will he give to those that do his will!
(b) Any day Rebbi would laugh, punishments would come to the
2. Rebbi invited him
3. Bar Kapara: If Hash-m gives so much to those that do
his will, in this world - how much more will he give
in the world to come!
1. Rebbi (to Bar Kapara): Do not make me laugh, and I
will give you 40 measures of wheat.
2. Bar Kapara: Watch - I will get as much as I want.