POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Nedarim 32
1) THE GREATNESS OF CIRCUMCISION
(a) Answer: Because he involved himself in arranging lodging
for the night before circumcising his son - "On the way,
at the inn..."
2) ACTING IN PURITY
(b) R. Shimon Ben Gamliel says, Hash-m did not seek to kill
Moshe, rather the baby - "You are a Chasan of blood to
1. The baby is called a Chasan, for circumcision is his
inauguration in Mitzvos.
(c) (R. Yehudah Bar Bizna): When Moshe slackened from
circumcising his son, the damaging angels Af and Chemah
swallowed his entire body, except for his legs.
1. Immediately, Tziporah circumcised her son with a
rock, and the angels left Moshe alone.
(d) (Beraisa - Rebbi): Circumcision is great - no one engaged
in Mitzvos as Avraham, yet he was only called complete
when he circumcised himself - "Walk in front of me and be
perfect ... I will put my covenant between me and you".
2. At that point. Moshe sought to kill them - "Desist
from Af and abandon Chemah".
i. Some say, he killed Chemah - "I do not have
ii. Question: But Moshe said "I was afraid of Af
and Chemah" (at a later time)!
iii. Answer #1: There were 2 angels called Chemah.
iv. Answer #2: He was afraid of the legions of
1. Also: Circumcision is great, for it is equal to all
the Mitzvos of the Torah - "According to these
matters (I made a covenant with you)".
(e) This opposes R. Elazar.
2. Also: Circumcision is great - if not for it, Heaven
and earth would not last - "If not for my covenant
day and night".
1. (R. Elazar): Torah is great - if not for it, Heaven
and earth would not last - "If not for my covenant
day and night, I would not have made Heaven and
(f) (Rav Yehudah): When Hash-m told Avraham "Walk in front of
me and be perfect", Avraham was afraid - 'Perhaps there
is something detestable about me'!
1. When Hash-m said "I will put my covenant between us"
he was assuaged.
(a) "(Hash-m) took (Avraham) outside" - Avraham told Hash-m,
'I see in my Mazel that I will not have a son".
1. Hash-m responded 'Leave your astrology - there is no
Mazel for Yisrael'.
(b) (R. Hoshaya): We learn, whoever purifies his character
will rise to greatness.
2. (R. Yitzchak): Anyone who acts purely with Hash-m,
Hash-m acts purely with him - "With a Chasid you
bestow Chesed; with a pure man you are pure".
1. It says, "Walk in front of me and be perfect", and
then "You will be the father of a multitude of
(c) (Rebbi): Anyone who engages in Nichush (acts according to
omens) will be affected by them - "*Lo* (to him) there is
(d) Objection: But Lo is written with an Aleph, the word
(e) Correction: Rather, Rebbi's teaching follows from the
fact that Hash-m treats people according to their
(f) (Ahavah, R. Zeira's son): Anyone that does not do Nichush
merits a greater closeness to Hash-m than the ministering
angels - "Yisrael do not do Nichush, there is no sorcery
in Yisrael (and the angels will ask Yisrael about
(a) Question (R. Avahu): Why was Avraham punished that his
children should be enslaved 210 years in Mitzrayim?
(b) Answer #1 (R. Avahu): Because he used Chachamim to fight
in war - "He armed his trained ones, those born in his
(c) Answer #2 (Shmuel): Because he questioned Hash-m's ways
too much - "With what will I know that I will inherit
(d) Answer #3 (R. Yochanan): "Give me the people, and keep
the spoils" - Avraham returned captives to the king of
Sodom, instead of keeping them to bring them to serve
(e) (Rav): "He armed his trained ones, those born in his
house" - he loaded them with Torah;
1. (Shmuel): He loaded them with gold (to entice them
(f) Version #1 (R. Ami Bar Aba): "318" - Avraham's slave
Eliezer was equal to all of them;
(g) Version #2: Really, only Eliezer aided Avraham in the war
- the Torah says 318, for this is the numerical value of
(h) (R. Ami Bar Aba): Avraham was 3 years old when he
recognized Hash-m - "*Akev* (because) you listened to my
1. The numerical value of Akev is 172 (and Avraham
lived 175 years).
(i) (R. Ami Bar Aba): The numerical value of 'ha'Satan' (the
accuser) is 364. (He prosecutes all days of the year
except for 1 - Yom Kipur).
***** PEREK EIN BEIN HA'MUDAR *****
(j) (R. Ami Bar Aba): Hash-m changed Avram's name to Avraham.
1. At first, Hash-m gave Avram dominion over 243 of his
limbs (the numerical value of Avram); later, Hash-m
gave him control over the last 5 as well - the eyes,
ears and penis.
(k) (R. Ami Bar Aba): "A small city and few men ..." - the
city is the human body; the few men are the limbs;
1. "A great king came and surrounded the city" - this
is the evil inclination;
(l) "Wisdom will strengthen a Chacham more than 10 officers":
the wisdom referred to is repentance and good deeds;
2. "He built around it fortresses" - these are sins;
3. "There was in the city a poor Chacham" - this is the
4. "He saved the city with his wisdom" - this is
repentance and good deeds;
5. "No one remembered the poor Chacham" - when the evil
inclination entices, no one remembers the good
1. The 10 officers are the eyes, ears, hands, feet,
penis, and mouth.
(m) (R. Zecharyah): Hash-m wanted that Kohanim should descend
from Shem - "He was a Kohen to Hash-m";
1. Hash-m decreed that Kehunah would come from Avraham
because Shem blessed Avraham before Hash-m.
i. "(Shem) said, blessed is Avraham ... and
blessed is Hash-m".
2. Immediately, Hash-m decreed that Kehunah would come
from Avraham - "The word of Hash-m to (Avraham) ...
you are a Kohen forever on the words of Malki Tzedek
(Shem)" - because of his words.
ii. Avraham: One does not bless the slave before
3. "He (Shem) was a Kohen to Hash-m" - but not his
4) ONE WHO VOWS NOT TO BENEFIT FROM HIS FRIEND
(a) (Mishnah): Reuven vowed not to benefit from his Shimon;
Levi vowed not to eat from Shimon. The only difference
between them is that Reuven may not walk through Shimon's
property or borrow vessels not used for food, but Levi
(b) Shimon may not lend Levi a sifter, grinder or oven; he
may lend him cloaks and rings.
(c) (Gemara) Question: Who is the Tana of the Mishnah?
(d) Answer (Rav Ada Bar Ahavah): R. Eliezer.
1. (Beraisa - R. Eliezer): Even Vitur (small benefits
which people normally do for free) may not be done
for someone who vowed not to get benefit from the
i. (Mishnah): Shimon may not lend Levi ...