POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Megilah 10
MEGILAH 6-10 sponsored by a generous grant from an anonymous donor. Kollel Iyun Hadaf is indebted to him for his encouragement and support and prays that Hashem will repay him in kind.
1) WHEN PRIVATE ALTARS ARE ALLOWED
(a) The holiness of Shilo is followed by a period in which
Bamahs are allowed; this is not true of Yerushalayim.
(b) (R. Yitzchak): I heard that we may sacrifice in Bais
1. He holds that Bais Chonyo is not a house of
(c) They said to R. Yitzchak: Did you say that?
2. He also holds that the initial sanctification of
Yerushalayim was not permanent, therefore, now that
Yerushalayim is destroyed, it is permitted to offer
on a Bamah.
i. This is learned from the verse "You have not
yet come to the rest and to the inheritance".
ii. "rest" is Shilo; "inheritance" is Yerushalayim.
iii. We equate Shilo and Yerushalayim: just as
Bamahs are permitted after Shilo, they are
permitted after Yerushalayim.
(d) R. Yitzchak: No.
(e) (Rava swears): He did say it, and I learned it from him!
1. He retracted because of Rav Mari's question.
(f) Answer: Tannaim argue whether the sancity of Yerushalayim
2. Question (Rav Mari): The Mishnah says, there is
permission after Shilo, but not after Yerushalayim!
3. Another question: Another Mishnah teaches, once they
came to Yerushalayim, Bamahs were prohibited, and
never again permitted; this was the inheritance.
(g) (Mishnah): R. Eliezer: I heard that when they were
building the Heichal, they made hangings for the Heichal
and the courtyard. (Apparently, the hangings are needed
to act as walls, since the sanctity ended.)
1. In the Heichal, they build outside the hangings, in
the courtyard, they build from inside the hangings.
(h) R. Yehoshua: I heard that we may sacrifice, even without
a Temple; we can eat Kadshei Kadashim, even though there
are no hangings; we can eat light Kadshim and Maaser
Sheni, even though there is no wall (around
Yerushalayim), because the sanctification of Yerushalayim
was for all time.
1. We infer that R. Eliezer holds that it was not
consecration for all time.
(i) Question (Ravina): Perhaps both hold that it was
consecration for all time, each tanna said what he heard!
1. R. Eliezer will explain that the hangings were
merely for Tznius.
(j) Answer#2: Rather, the following tannaim argue whether the
(k) (Beraisa - R. Yishmael Bar R. Yosi): These cities (in a
Mishnah) were listed because the returning exiles
sanctified them; the first sancity was lost when we were
1. We see that he holds that the sanctity ended.
(l) Question: (Tosefta - R. Yishmael Bar R. Yosi): There were
more than these cities! (verse) - "60 cities, the region
of Argov", "All these cities are fortified with a high
1. Only these are listed, because the returning exiles
2) "VAYEHI", A LANGUAGE OF PAIN
2. Question: In the Saifa, R. Yishmael Bar R. Yosi says
that there was no need to sanctify them!
(m) We have a contradiction in the opinion of R. Yishmael Bar
3. Answer: Rather, these cities were found and listed.
4. Also, any city which tradition says was surrounded
by a wall from the days of Yehoshua has these laws,
because the first consecration was for all time.
(n) Answer: Tannaim argue on what he held.
(o) Answer#2: The second Beraisa is really R. Eliezer Bar R.
1. (Beraisa - R. Eliezer Bar R. Yosi - verse): That it
has a wall - even if it once had, and now doesn't
(it remains in its sanctity).
(a) (R. Levi): We have a tradition from the Men of the Great
Assembly, the language "Vayehi" (and it was) always
3) AGADIC TEACHINGS OF R. LEVI
1. "Vayehi in the days of Achashverosh" - there was
(b) Question: But is says, "Vayehi on the 8th day" (of the
inauguration of the Mishkan)!
2. "Vayehi in the days that the judges judged" - there
was a famine.
3. "Vayehi that man began to multiply" - "Hashem saw
that great is the evil of man".
4. "Vayehi when they traveled from the east" - "Let us
build a city".
5. "Vayehi In the days of Amrafel" - "They made war".
6. "Vayehi Yehoshua in Yericho" - "His sword drawn in
7. "Vayehi Hashem with Yehoshua" - "Bnei Yisrael
8. "Vayehi one man from Ramasayim" - "For he loved
Chanah, and Hashem had closed her womb".
9. "Vayehi when Shmuel grew old" - "And his sons did
not go in his ways".
10. "Vayehi Dovid succeeding in all his ways and Hashem
was with him" - "And Shaul put his eye on Dovid"
11. "Vayehi when the king sat in his house" - "Just you
will not build the Temple".
1. (Beraisa): That day there was a Simcha in front of
Hashem like the day Heaven and earth were created.
(c) Answer: Nadav and Avihu died.
2. In both places it says "Vayehi".
(d) Question: "Vayehi in the 480th year" (the Temple was
(e) Question: "Vayehi when Yakov saw Rachel"!
(f) Question: "Vayehi evening and it was morning, one day"!
(g) Question: There is also the 2nd day, the 3rd day, and
(h) Answer (Rav Ashi): "Vayehi" is sometimes good, sometimes
painful. "Vayehi in the days" is always pain. In 5 places
it says "Vayehi in the days of":
1. "Vayehi in the days of Achashverosh".
2. "Vayehi in the days that the judges judged".
3. "Vayehi in the days of Amrafel".
4. "Vayehi in the days of Achaz".
5. "Vayehi in the days of Yehoyakim".
(a) (R. Levi): We have a tradition: Amotz and Amatzyah are
4) OPENINGS TO MEGILAS ESTHER
1. Question: What do we learn from this?
(b) R. Levi: We have a tradition: the Ark did not take up any
2. Answer: As was taught by Rav Shmuel Bar Nachmani,
any bride that is modest in her father-in-law's
house merits that kings and prophets will descend
3. This is learned from Tamar.
4. "Yehuda saw her, and thought she was a harlot
because she had covered her face".
5. Question: Because she covered her face, he thought
she was a harlot?!
6. Answer: Rather, because she had covered her face in
his house, and he didn't recognize her, she merited
that kings and prophets descend from her.
i. Kings - from Dovid.
ii. Prophets - As R. Levi's tradition, that Amotz
and Amatzyah are brothers; "The vision of
Yeshaya, son of Amotz".
1. (Support - Beraisa): The Ark that Moshe made has 10
Amos (until the wall) in each direction; the verse
says, "In front of the Devir, 20 Amos long".
2. Also, "The wing of one Cheruv, 10 Amos; the wing of
one Cheruv, 10 Amos".
3. There was no space for the Ark! It must be, it stood
(a) R. Yochanan began expounding the Megilah thusly: "And I
stood upon them ... and I will cut off from Bavel, Shem
v'Sheir v'Nin v'Neched".
1. "Shem" is the writing; "Sheir" is the language;
"Nin" is the kingship; "Neched" is Vashti.
(b) Shmuel Bar Nachmani began expounding the Megilah thusly:
"In place of ha'Na'atzutz will come b'Rosh; in place of
Sarpad will come Hadas".
1. "Na'atzutz" is Haman the evil one, who made himself
(c) "And it will be to Hashem for a name" - this is reading
2. A verse says, "And in all their Na'atzutzim and in
all their barren trees".
3. "Rosh" is Mordechai, who is called first among the
spices, as it says, "Take for yourself spices Rosh,
Mar Deror", and the Targum is Mari Daki.
4. "Sarpad" is Vashti the evil one, the granddaughter
of Nebuchadnetzar the evil one, who burned the
ceiling of the Temple, as the verse says, "Refidaso
5. "Hadas" is Esther the righteous, who is called
Hadasah, as it says "And he raised Hadasah".
1. "For an eternal sign, it will not be cut off" -
these are the days of Purim.
(d) R. Yehoshua Ben Levi began expounding the Megilah thusly:
"And it will be, as Hashem delighted to delighted over
you to do good to you, so he will delight over you to do
evil to you".
1. Question: Does Hashem really rejoice at the downfall
of the wicked?
(e) R. Aba Bar Kahana began expounding the Megilah thusly:
"To a man that is good in front of him he gave wisdom,
knowledge and Simcha" - this is Mordechai the Tzadik".
2. The verse says, "In going out before the legion, and
they say thank Hashem, for his Chesed is forever".
3. (R. Yochanan): This praise omits "for he is good",
since Hashem does not rejoice at the downfall of the
4. Further - R. Yochanan expounded the verse, "They did
not draw close one to the other all night".
5. The angels wanted to sing, but Hashem said to them,
the works of my hands are drowning in the sea, and
you are singing?!
6. Answer (R. Elazar): Hashem does not rejoice, but he
makes others rejoice (to punish the wicked).
7. (Support): The verse says, "he will make rejoice",
not "he will rejoice".
1. "To the sinner he gave the idea to gather and store"
- this is Haman.
(f) Raba Bar Ufron began expounding the Megilah thusly: "And
I put my throne in Ilam, and I destroyed from their king
and ministers" - king is Vashti, ministers is Haman and
his 10 sons.
2. "To give to whom is good in front of Hashem" - this
is Mordechai and Esther, as it says, "And Esther put
Mordechai over the house of Haman".