|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] "LO SASGIR EVED EL ADONAV; [ASHER YINATZEL ELECHA ME'IM ADONAV...]" - "You may not turn over a slave to his master; [who has found refuge with you from his master...]." (Devarim 23:16) - In our Gemara, Rebbi explains that this verse refers to a person who buys a slave in order to free him. There are other explanations in the sources, closer to the simple meaning, as follows: a slave who has escaped to Eretz Yisrael may not be turned over to his master (GEMARA Gitin 45a; RAMBAM Hilchos Avadim 8:10). Some also include a circumcised slave who has escaped from his Nochri master (SIFRI, TARGUM, cf. RABEINU BACHYA). Others include a slave who escapes to the army camp (IBN EZRA, CHIZKUNI, ABARBANEL).
2) [line 13] MISHUM EIVAH - because of enmity (on the part of the person upon whose death the man made the Kidushin conditional)
3) [line 15] KONAM (KINUYIM)
4) [line 17] SHEMA TA'ADIF ALAV YESER MIN HA'RA'UY LO - lest she produce for him a larger quantity than she is obligated to give him. A Neder which she makes not to give her earnings to her husband *can* take effect on any extra earnings that she produces. (The Mishnah in Kesuvos (5:9) states that a woman must produce the weight of five Sela'im of Shesi (spun warp thread, the longitudinal thread of the loom, which is thinner and harder to make than the woof thread, the latitudinal thread) in Yehudah, which is the equivalent of ten Sela'im of Shesi in the Galil, or the weight of ten Sela'im of Erev (woof) in Yehudah, which is the equivalent of twenty Sela'im of Erev in the Galil.)
5) [line 19] YIKADSHU YADAI L'OSEIHEM - "my hands shall be consecrated to their Maker, [such that what they produce will be Hekdesh]." [By making a Neder in this fashion, the Neder can take effect on products of her hands that her hands have not yet produced and do not yet exist, since the Neder takes effect on the hands, which do exist already.]
6) [line 21] SHE'ADABER ALAYICH LA'SHILTON - "[You are hereby Mekudeshes to me on condition] that I speak on your behalf to the ruler"
7) [line 22] E'ESEH IMECH K'FO'EL - "... [on condition that] I work for you like a hired day-laborer [for one day]" (RASHI)
8) [line 25] UVI'SECHAR LO? - And [the Kidushin would] not [take effect] with the wage for the services (that he performed for her)?
9a) [line 27] KARON - wagon
14) [line 33] EINAH LI'SECHIRUS ELA LEVA'SOF / YESHNAH LI'SECHIRUS
MI'TECHILAH V'AD SOF - (lit. "the compensation for a hired worker is only
at the end," and "the compensation for a hired worker is from the beginning
until the end)
15) [line 37] ABA - the father of the Mekadesh
17) [line 7] BI'TREI TA'AMA V'ALIBA D'CHAD TANA - [it is preferable to set up a Mishnah] as discussing two different cases and according to one Tana
18) [line 17] EIN ADAM CHOTEI V'LO LO - A person will not transgress an Aveirah unless he derives some benefit from it
19) [line 18] YITZRO TOKFO - his Yetzer ha'Ra took hold of him
22) [line 31] MECHAPAH - cover [for him and support his lie]
24) [line 46] L'KORBAN (KORBAN CHATAS)