POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Kesuvos 65
15) DO WE APPORTION WINE TO A WOMAN?
(a) (R. Elazar): We do not apportion wine to a woman.
16) VESSELS APPORTIONED TO WOMEN
1. One cannot ask from the verse "That give my ...
Ushkuyai (and drinks)" - rather, uSHKuyai refers to
things that a woman miSHtoKekes (desires), namely,
(b) (Rav Yehudah): We do not apportion wine to a woman -
"Chanah got up after her eating ... and *his* drinking" -
it does not say, after her drinking.
(c) Question: According to this, we should say, *her* eating
and not his eating?!
(d) Answer: No - since the verse deals with her, "his
drinking" is unnatural and is expounded; ("her eating" is
natural, and is not expounded).
(e) Question (Beraisa): If she is accustomed, we give her
(f) Answer #1: The case of a woman who is used to wine is
different, as we see from Rav Chinena.
1. (Rav Chinena): If she is accustomed, we give her one
cup; if not, we give her 2.
(g) Answer #2: A woman who is accustomed receives wine for
2. Question: How can this be?
3. Answer (Abaye): Explain thusly: If she is accustomed
to 2 cups when with her husband, we give her 1 cup
when not with him; if she is accustomed to 1 cup
when with her husband, we do not give her at all
1. (R. Avahu): Chachamim apportioned 2 Sa'os of wine
for Nakdimon Ben Guryon's daughter-in-law to use in
cooking each week.
(h) (Beraisa): One cup is good for a woman; 2, disgracing; 3,
she will verbally demand relations; 4, she will seek to
have relations with a donkey in the market (in public),
i. She told them, 'So you should apportion to your
ii. She was a widow that fell to Yibum (out of
anger that they didn't apportion more, she
cursed them that their daughters should also
fall to Yibum) - they did not answer Amen.
1. (Rava): This only applies when her husband is not
with her - when her husband is with her, there is no
(i) Abaye's widow, Chomah, came before Rava, and requested
that he apportion wine for her.
2. Question: But Chanah was with her husband (and we
learned from her)!
3. Answer: The case of one lodging away from home is
i. (Rav Huna): A boarder is forbidden to have
relations - "They returned to their city ...
and Elkanah had relations with his wife" - but
1. Rava: I know, Abaye did not drink wine!
(j) The wife of Rav Yosef Bar Rava asked Rav Nechemyah Bar
Rav Yosef to apportion wine for her; he did so.
2. Chomah: I swear, he did! He would give me in vessels
like this ...
i. As she was demonstrating, her arm was revealed.
Light fell in the Beis Din; Rava desired
relations, and went to his wife, Rav Chisda's
ii. Rava's wife: Who was in Beis Din (that caused
iii. Rava: Chomah.
iv. Rava's wife took a strap and chased Chomah out
of the city. "You have already killed 3 men (a
woman that has been widowed 2 or 3 times is
established to cause the death of her husbands,
and is forbidden to remarry), and you seek to
1. Rav Nechemyah: I know, women of her city drink wine.
(k) The widow of Rav Yosef Brei d'Rav Menashiya asked Rav
Yosef to apportion wine for her; he did so. She requested
that he apportion silk for her.
1. Rav Yosef: Why do you need silk?
2. The widow: For you and your colleagues (that I
should not be disgraced in your eyes).
(a) (Mishnah): He gives her a bed and mat ...
(b) Question: Why does she need a mattress (and mat - Tosfos
omits these words from the text)?
(c) Answer (Rav Papa): This is in a place where the bedropes
are uncovered - it hurts to sleep on such a bed without a
(d) (Beraisa): We do not give her a pillow and blanket; R.
Nosan says, says, we give her.
(e) Question: What is the case?
1. If it is normal for her family - why would the first
Tana say she does not get it?
(f) Answer: It is normal for his family, but not for hers.
2. If it is not normal for her family - why would R,
Nosan say she gets it?
1. The first Tana says, he can tell her - 'When I go, I
will take them; when I return, I will bring them!'
(g) (Mishnah): He gives her a kerchief ...
2. R. Nosan says, she can counter, 'Sometimes, you will
return right before Shabbos, and will not be able to
bring them - you will take mine, and I will sleep on
(h) Question (Rav Papa): The Tana strips her (only gives her
clothing once a year), but gives her shoes (every
17) OTHER OLIGATIONS OF THE HUSBAND
(i) Answer (Abaye): The Tana is in a place of mountains,
where 3 pairs of shoes are needed each year.
1. The Tana counsels, it is good to give her during the
festival, to make her happy.
(j) (Mishnah): Clothes worth 50 Zuz ...
(k) (Abaye): These are simple Zuzi (7/8 copper, worth only
1/8 of Zuzi of Tzur).
1. We know this since the Mishnah deals with the
poorest of people - such a person would not have 50
Zuz of pure silver!
(l) (Beraisa): Excess food belongs to the husband; extra
remnants of clothing belong to the wife.
(m) Question: Why does she need them?
(n) Answer (Rachbah): To wear when she is Nidah, so she will
not be despised to her husband (by wearing the same
clothing when Tehorah as when Nidah).
(o) (Abaye): Extra remnants of clothing of a widow belong to
1. In this case, there is no concern if she is
(a) Question: What does the Mishnah mean, 'She eats with him
***** PEREK METZIAS HA'ISHAH *****
(b) Answer #1 (Rav Nachman): Literally, she eats with him.
(c) Answer #2 (Rav Ashi): They have relations.
1. If so, why does the Mishnah say she eats with him?
(d) Question (Beraisa - R. Shimon Ben Gamliel): She eats with
him on Shabbos night and Shabbos (day).
2. Answer: This is just a nice language.
i. "She ate ... and said, I did not sin."
1. We understand the opinion that this literally means
(e) Answer: As Rava taught - in a dark house, it is
2. The opinion that it means relations - do they have
relations (by day)?
i. (Rav Huna): Yisrael are holy, and do not have
relations by day!
(f) (Mishnah): If she was nursing ...
(g) (R. Ula Rabah): Even though Chachamim said, a man need
not feed his children when they are minors - but he must
feed very small children.
1. Question: Until what age?
(h) Question: How did R. Ula derive his law from our
2. Answer: Until 6 years.
i. (Rav Asi): A 6-year-old may rely on the Eiruv
of his mother.
(i) Answer: It says, a nursing woman is given more food.
1. Suggestion: This is because her baby eats with her!
2. Rejection: No - rather, she is as a sick person that
requires more food.
3. Objection: If so, the Mishnah should say, 'If she is
sick ...' - why did it teach the case of a nursing
4. Answer: Perhaps it comes to teach that nursing women
are assumed to require more food!
i. R. Yehoshua Ben Levi: We apportion wine to a
nursing mother, since this is good for the
18) PRIVILEGES A MAN HAS IN HIS WIFE
(a) (Mishnah): Objects a wife finds, and her earnings belong
to her husband; what she inherits - he receives the
produce of it in her lifetime;
(b) Payments of one who embarrassed or wounded her are hers;
R. Yehudah Ben Beseira says, for damage to a covered part
of the body, she receives 2/3 of the payment, he gets
1/3; for damage to an exposed part of the body, she
receives 1/3, he gets 2/3.
1. He receives his share immediately; her share is used
to buy land, and he receives the fruits.
(c) (Gemara) Question: A previous Mishnah already taught
(d) (Mishnah): A father receives ... found objects and
earnings of his daughter ... a husband has all these
privileges, and also receives the produce of her
(e) Answer: We need to teach the dispute of R. Yehudah Ben
Beseira and Chachamim on payments for embarrassment and
(f) A Chacham recited a Beraisa in front of Rava: If a
married woman finds an object, she keeps it; R. Akiva
says, it belongs to her husband.