POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Kesuvos 7
KESUVOS 6-9 - have been anonymously dedicated by a unique Ohev Torah and
Marbitz Torah living in Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel.
1) ARE FIRST RELATIONS ALLOWED ON SHABBOS AND YOM TOV?
(a) Answer: Fluid in a boil is stored and outside the flesh;
virginal blood is stored but partially absorbed in the
2) THE DAYS OF NUPTIAL BLESSINGS
(b) R. Ami permitted first relations on Shabbos.
(c) (Rabanan): A Kesuvah was not written!
(d) R. Ami: She should sieze movable objects (as a pledge
until he writes a Kesuvah).
(e) Rav Zvid permitted first relations on Shabbos.
1. Some say that Rav Zvid himself had first relations
(f) Rav Yehudah permitted first relations on Yom Tov.
1. (Rav Papi): He permits even on Shabbos; the case
brought before him just happened to be on Yom Tov.
(g) (Rav Yakov Bar Idi): R. Yochanan Horeh (ruled) that one
may not have first relations on Shabbos.
2. (Rav Papa): He only permits Yom Tov, but not
3. Question (Rav Papi): Do you hold that Mitoch (since)
wounding is permitted when needed (to prepare food,
i.e. slaughtering). it is also permitted when not
i. If so, it should be permitted to burn incense
on Yom Tov (since burning is allowed for the
needs of food, it should be allowed when not
needed as well).
4. Answer (Rav Papa): "What every person will eat" -
the Torah only allows what is common to all people.
5. Question (Rav Acha Brai d'Rava): If so, one may not
slaughter a deer on Yom Tov, since not all people
6. Answer (Rav Ashi): Something which is a need of all
people is allowed; all need deer (and relations).
(h) Question: Is *Hora'ah* an appropriate term for a
(i) Answer: Yes! A Mishnah says that Beis Hilel Horuha to
conduct as a Nazirah 7 more years.
1. Another example (Beraisa): Rebbi says, if the
majority of the spinal cord was cut (the animal is
Traif); R. Yakov says, even if it is punctured;
(j) (Rav Nachman Bar Yitzchak): R. Yochanan Horeh (ruled)
that one may not have first relations on Shabbos.
Rebbi Horeh as R. Yakov.
2. (Rav Huna): The law is not as R. Yakov.
(k) The law is: first relations are allowed on Shabbos.
(a) (R. Huna): Both a virgin and a widow require blessing.
(b) Question: But Rav Huna said that a widow does not require
(c) Answer: For a Bachur (one who has never been married), we
must bless, but not for a widower who marries a widow.
(d) Question: But a Beraisa teaches that we learn from Boaz
that a minyan is required for Birkas Chasanim, and Boaz
was a widower that married a widow!
(e) Answer: Rav Huna meant that a widow does not need 7 days
of blessing; 1 day is required.
(f) Question (Beraisa): Chachamim deliberated for Jewish
girls, that the Chasan should rejoice 3 days with (a
1. If he is a Bachur, 7 days are required; if he is a
widower, only 1!
(g) Answer#1: A widower requires 1 day of blessing and 3 days
(h) Answer#2: A Bachur requires 7 days of blessing and 3
days of rejoicing.
(i) Question (Beraisa): We bless 7 days for a virgin, and 1
day for a widow.
3) A MINYAN IS NEEDED FOR NUPTIAL BLESSINGS
1. Doesn't this apply even to a Bachur that married a
(j) Answer: No, only a widower.
(k) Question: But if you will say that for a Bachur, we bless
7 days - it should say, we bless 7 days for a virgin, or
for a Bachur that married a widow, and 1 day for a widow
(that marries a widower)!
(l) Answer: The Tana taught a clear-cut law: every virgin has
7 days of blessing, and every widow, no less than 1.
(a) (Rav Nachman): "He took 10 elders" - this teaches that a
minyan is needed for Birkas Chasanim.
4) WHERE WE MAKE THE NUPTIAL AND ENGAGEMENT BLESSING
(b) (R. Avahu): We learn this from "In the congregations
bless Hashem from the source of Yisrael".
1. Rav Nachman uses this latter verse to teach that
even fetuses sang at the splitting of the Red Sea.
2. R. Avahu argues: if so, the verse should have said
"from the womb".
3. R. Avahu learns from the former verse that Boaz
assembled a minyan to teach that the Torah forbade
male converts from Amon and Moav to marry Jews, but
female converts are permitted.
i. His reasoning: if the minyan was for a
blessing, elders would not be required.
4. Question (Rav Nachman): If he gathered them to
expound, 10 are not needed!
5. Answer: They are needed, to publicize the law!
i. Shmuel gathered a minyan to teach that one who
acquires on behalf of a fetus, the acquisition
ii. The law is not like Shmuel.
(a) (Beraisa): We make Birkas Chasanim at the time of Chupah;
R. Yehudah says, even at the time of engagement.
1. (Abaye): This applies in Yehudah, where the engaged
couple are together alone.
(b) (Beraisa): We make Birkas Chasanim at the Chupah, and the
blessing of engagement at the engagement.
(c) Question: What is the blessing of engagement?
(d) Answer#1 (Rava Bar Rav Ada): "... that commanded us about
incest, and forbade to us engaged ones, and permitted
married ones through Chupah and Kidushin".
(e) Answer#2 (Rav Acha Brei d'Rava): We close the blessing
"Blessed are you Hashem, who sanctifies Yisrael through
Chupah and Kidushin."
1. Rava Bar Rav Ada says we do not close the blessing,
just as we do not close the blessings over fruits
(f) (Beraisa): We make Birkas Chasanim all 7 days with a
2. Rav Acha says that we close the blessing, just as we
close the blessing of Kidush.
1. Rav Yehudah: This applies when there are new faces
at the meal.