REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Gitin 60
GITIN 59 & 60 - Sponsored by Rabbi Dr. Eli Turkel and his wife, Jeri Turkel.
May Hashem bless them with many years of Simcha, health and fulfillment, and
may they see all of their children and grandchildren follow them in the ways
of Torah and Yir'as Shamayim!
(a) What did the B'nei Galil mean when they asked Rebbi Chelbo 'Achareihen
(b) Rebbi Chelbo did not know the answer.
To whom did he take the
(c) Rebbi Yitzchak Nafcha gave a list of five orders of priority. The first
two are Talmidei-Chachamim who have been appointed over the Tzibur and
Talmidei-Chachamim who are fit to be appointed over the Tzibur (even though
their appointment has not yet been made).
What requirements must a
Talmid-Chacham possess to be appointed over the Tzibur?
(d) Bearing in mind that the last on the list is the rest of the people, who
are numbers three and four on the priorities list?
(a) When the B'nei Galil asked Rebbi Chelbo whether one is permitted to Lein
from a Chumash, neither he nor Rebbi Yitzchak Nafcha knew the answer. On
what grounds do we reject the proof of the B'nei Beis-Hamedrash from Rebbi
Shmuel bar Nachmeini Amar Rebbi Yonasan who disqualified a Sefer-Torah with
one section missing (that Leining from a Chumash should be Pasul too)? What
is a Chumash?
(b) On what basis did Rabah and Rav Yosef forbid Leining from a Chumash?
(c) On what grounds ...
(d) We took our cue from Rebbi Yochanan and Resh Lakish.
- ... did Rabah and Rav Yosef forbid Leining from a book of Haftaros on Shabbos?
- ... did Mar bar Rav Ashi forbid even handling it?
- ... do we reject both stringencies?
What leniency did
Rebbi Yochanan and Resh Lakish practice with regard to Sifrei Agadah? Which
Pasuk did they quote for their lenient ruling?
(a) Abaye asked Rabah about writing a Parshah or two on a piece of parchment
for children to learn from.
Why might this be ...
(b) What did Rabah reply? What was his reason?
- ... forbidden, even according to those who maintain that the Torah was written piece by piece as it was told to Moshe?
- ... permitted, even according to those who maintain that the Torah was written altogether at the end?
(c) How will Rabah explain the Beraisa ...
(d) Abaye's She'eilah is actually a Machlokes Tana'im. The Tana Kama
categorically forbids it.
- ... which describes how Hilni ha'Malkah made a tableau of gold on which the Parshah of Sotah was written (from which they copied for the use of the Sotos who were brought to the Beis Hamikdash)?
- ... which, with reference to the same tableau, explains that they wrote on it "Im Shachav", "ve'Im Lo Shachav"?
What does Rebbi Yehudah say?
(a) What does ...
(b) What was David ha'Melech referring to in the Pasuk in Tehilim?
- ... Rebbi Yochanan in the name of Rebbi Ban'ah learn from the Pasuk in Tehilim "Az Amarti Hinei Ba'si *bi'Megilas Sefer* Kasuv Alai"?
- ... Resh Lakish learn from the Pasuk in Vayeilech "Lako'ach es Sefer ha'Torah ha'Zos"?
Whereabouts are his merits hinted in the Torah?
(c) How will ...
- ... Rebbi Yochanan explain the Pasuk "Lako'ach es Sefer ha'Torah ha'Zos"?
- ... Resh Lakish explain the Pasuk - "Az Amarti Hinei Ba'si *bi'Megilas Sefer* Kasuv Alai" (based on the Pasuk in Zecharyah "Vayomer Eilai Mah Atah Ro'eh, va'Omar, Ani Ro'eh Megilah Afah")?
(a) According to the second answer, 'Megilah' refers to specific Parshiyos
that were written on a specific day.
How many Parshiyos" Which day?
(b) Why were these Parshiyos permitted to be written?
(c) Why is the rest of the Torah also referred to as 'Megilah'?
(a) If ...
Answers to questions
(b) What is meant by Parshas ...
- ... the first of these Parshiyos is Parshas Kohanim (Parshas Emor), what is the second?
- ... the third of the Parshiyos is Parshas Temei'im, what is the fourth?
- ... the fifth and the sixth Parshiyos are Acharei-Mos and Shesuyei Yayin, what are the seventh and the eighth?
(c) With regard to the Parshah of Shilu'ach Temei'im, what is the
significance of the rolling up of the Paroches?
- ... Levi'im?
- ... Temei'im?
(d) Why was it necessary to say/write the Parshah of ...
- ...Acharei-Mos on that day?
- ... Parah Adumah on that day? Why could they not prepare it earlier?
(a) What does ...
(b) What is the meaning of ...
- ... Rebbi Elazar learn from the Pasuk in Hoshei'a "Echtov Lo Rubei Torasi K'mo Zar Nechshavu"?
- ... Rebbi Yochanan learn from the Pasuk in Ki Sisa "Ki al-Pi ha'Devarim he'Eileh Kara'ti Itcha B'ris"?
(c) How does ...
- ... 'bi'K'sav'?
- ... 'be'al-Peh'?
(d) How did Rebbi Yehudah bar Nachmeini, Resh Lakish's translator, reconcile
the seemingly contradictory Pesukim "K'sov Lecha es ha'Devarim ha'Eileh" (Ki
Sisa), and "Ki al-Pi ha'Devarim ha'Eileh Kara'ti Itcha B'ris ... "?
- ... Rebbi Yochanan explain the Pasuk "Echtov Lo Rubei Torasi ... "?
- ... Rebbi Elazar explain the Pasuk "Ki al-Pi ha'Devarim he'Eileh Kara'ti Itcha B'ris"?
(a) What does de'Bei Rebbi Yishmael extrapolate from the Pasuk "K'sav Lecha
es ha'Devarim *ha'Eileh*"?
(b) From where does Rebbi Yochanan learn that Hashem made a covenant with
Yisrael on account of Torah she'be'al Peh?
(a) On what grounds do we reject the contention that one may not change the
location of the Eiruv because of (lack of) Kavod?
(b) Why did they change the location of the Shofar that they blew on Erev
Shabbos specifically from Rav Yehudah's house to that of Rabah, from Rabah's
to that of Rav Yosef and from Rav Yosef's house to that of Abaye?
(c) In whose house was the Shofar placed after Abaye's death?
(d) So why does our Mishnah forbid changing the location of the Eiruv?
(a) Who has the first right to draw water from a flowing river, those who
live up-stream or those who live down-stream?
(b) Then in which case do Rav and Shmuel argue over this point?
(c) What is their Machlokes?
(d) What is ...
- ... Shmuel's reason for saying that those living up-stream have the first right to draw?
- ... Rav's reason for saying that those living down-stream have the right to stop them from damming the river?
(a) How does Shmuel reconcile Rav with our Mishnah, which gives those living
nearest the source of the stream the first right?
(b) What will then be the Chidush?
(c) How does Rav Huna bar Tachlifa rule with regard to this Machlokes?
(a) What did Abaye reply, when Rav Shimi bar Ashi asked him to fix a time to
learn with him ...
(b) So what proposition did Rav Shimi bar Ashi make?
- ... by day?
- ... by night?
(c) When Abaye accepted, what did Rav Shimi do?
(d) Was Abaye happy with his Talmid's achievements? How did he react?
(a) Why did the residents of Chermach (whose fields were down-stream) plan
to divert part of the river Shinv'sa? What exactly did they do?
The Chachamim in our Mishnah argue with Rebbi Yossi regarding the degree of
ownership that one has over fish that one catches (as will be explained
(b) When the owners of other fields in that vicinity complained to Abaye
that this slowed down the flow of water (depriving them of their needs), he
advised them to deepen the river at the point where the river now branched
off, causing it to flow quicker along its original route.
Why was this not
a good idea?
(c) So what was Abaye's final ruling?
To which kind of traps is their Machlokes confined?
Answers to questions