REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Gitin 52
GITIN 52 - sponsored by Hagaon Rav Yosef Pearlman of London, England, a
living demonstration of love for and adoration of the Torah.
(a) What joint obligation do a Balabos on whom the Yesomim rely to handle
their affairs and an Apotropus (a guardian appointed by the Beis-Din to do
so) share vis-a-vis the crops that grow in the Yesomim's field?
(b) According to the Tana Kama of our Mishnah, an Apotropus appointed by the
Yesomim's father before his death is obligated to swear.
What does he
(c) This would not be the case if he was appointed by the Beis-Din,
according to the Tana Kama.
What does Aba Shaul say?
(a) We learn from the Pasuk in Korach "Kein Tarimu Gam Atem" "Atem" 've'Lo
Shutfin' and "Atem" 've'Lo Arisin'.
What third Limud do we learn from
(b) What is the significance of the D'rashah "Atem" 've'Lo ha'Torem es
she'Eino she'Lo' which the Tana adds? Is it a fourth Limud?
(c) How does Rav Chisda reconcile this Beraisa with our Mishnah, which
permits an Apotropus to Ma'aser on behalf of the Yesomim?
(d) Do we cite the Beraisa 've'Hatanya ... ' to query Rav Chisda or in
support of his answer?
(a) The Tana permits an Apotropus to Ma'aser the crops of the Yesomim, to
sell their animals and slaves, houses and fields ... to sustain them with
the proceeds, but not to put the money aside.
Why is that?
(b) Will the same distinction pertain with regard to selling crops, wine,
oil and flour?
(c) Why is it that, whereas he is permitted to purchase from their money (on
their behalf), a Sukah, a Lulav, Tzitzis, a Shofar and Sefarim ... , he may
not give Tzedokoh on their behalf?
(d) Is he permitted ...
- ... to redeem captives on their behalf, or to spend their money to comfort a mourner (both exceptionally important Mitzvos)?
- ... to defend them in Beis-Din should a creditor claim from them, to absolve them from having to pay? What then, does the Tana mean when he forbids it 'la'Chov u'le'Zakos?
(a) Why is the Apotropus forbidden to sell a field belonging to the Yesomim
that is situated far away in order to purchase one that is nearer, or a
poor-quality field, to purchase a good-quality one?
(b) The Tana Kama also forbids him to sell a field in order to buy an Eved,
though he permits the reverse.
What does Raban Shimon ben Gamliel say? Why
(a) How would the Apotropus be able to set the Yesomim's Eved free without
causing them a loss?
(b) Why does the Tana Kama not permit the Apotropus to conclude the
transaction directly? What would he have to dos in order to secure his
(c) What does Rebbi say?
(d) The Tana Kama requires the Apotropus to present the Yesomim with an
account of all his dealings.
What does Raban Shimon ben Gamliel say?
(a) Why do Beis-Din not appoint as an Apotropus ...
(b) What did Rebbi Meir stop a certain Apotropus from doing?
- ... a woman?
- ... an Eved?
- ... a Katan? Under which circumstances are all of these acceptable?
(c) Why did he twice ignore a dream in which the angels pointed out to him
that they were deliberately orchestrating the actions of the Apotropus (see
(d) What did Rebbi Meir ...
- ... do to prevent two men from quarreling every Erev Shabbos?
- ... hear the Satan say as he (the Satan) left town?
(a) Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi did not object when a certain Apotropus sold
fields belonging to the Yesomim in order to purchase oxen, because he held
like Rebbi Yossi.
How did Rebbi Yossi refer to ...
(b) On what basis did Rav Nachman justify to the family of Yesomim a certain
old woman's having sold the Yesomim's cow on their behalf, even though
nobody had appointed her an Apotropus?
- ... his wife?
- ... his ox?
(c) What did he answer when the family added that ...
- ... the price of the ox had risen (in which case the sale had caused the Yesomim a loss and should therefore be declared void)?
- ... the Yesomim had not yet received payment for the ox? What did Rav Chanila'i bar Idi Amar Shmuel say?
(a) What happened to the wine of Rabana Ukva the Yasom which purchasers
acquired with Meshichah for four Zuzim per barrel? What did Rav Nachman
Answers to questions
(b) What would be the Din if, in the same case if the price of wine went
down? Would the purchasers be able to retract?
(c) What will be the Din if the Yesomim made a Kinyan Meshichah to acquire
fruit, the price of fruit went ...
- ... up, and the seller wished to retract?
- ... down, and the Yesomim wished to retract? Why does Rav Shisha B'rei de'Rav Idi differentiate between the case above where the Yesomim sold their fruit with only a Kinyan Meshichah, and this case, where they are purchasing fruit?
(a) If the Yesomim paid money for fruit, what will be the Din if the price
of fruit ...
(b) What will be the Din if the purchaser paid money to the Yesomim for
fruit, the fruit went ...
- ... went down? May they retract?
- ... went up? May the seller retract?
(c) Rav Ashi and Rav Kahana sign on the Sh'tar of the mother of Ze'iri the
Yasom who was selling for Karga immediately.
- ... up in price, and the Yesomim wish to retract?
- ... down in price, and the purchaser wishes to retract?
What is 'Karga'? What would
have been the regular procedure? What is 'Achrazta'?
(d) In which other two cases would one sell the land of Yesomim without
(a) What did Rav Nachman reply to the family of the Yesomim, when they
accused the Apotropus, Amram the painter, of ...
(b) Rav Nachman quoted this statement as the opinion of Rav Huna Amar Rav.
Is it unanimous?
- ... wearing the Yesomim's clothes?
- ... eating good food, even though he was poor (conveying the impression that he was eating the Yesomim's food)?
- ... causing damage to their property?
(a) The Tana Kama obligates an Apotropus whom the Yesomim's father
appointed, to make a Shevu'ah. Why does he ...
(b) Aba Shaul holds the reverse.
- ... do that?
- ... exempt an Apotropus whom Beis-Din appointed to make a Shevu'ah?
Why does he ...
(c) Rav Chanan bar Ami Amar Shmuel rules like Aba Shaul. The Tana of the
Beraisa however, rules like Rebsbi Eliezer ben Ya'akov.
- ... obligate an Apotropus whom Beis-Din appointed, to make a Shevu'ah?
- ... exempt an Apotropus whom the Yesomim's father appointed, to make a Shevu'ah?
What does he quote
him as saying?
(d) Rav Tachlifa bar Ma'arva quoted a Beraisa in front of Rebbi Avahu which
follows the opinion of the Tana Kama of our Mishnah.
What does the Tana
mean when he writes 'Apotropus she'Mineihu Avi Yesomim Yishava Mipnei she'Hu
Nosei Sachar'? Who said that it speaks when he receives reward?
(a) What Halachah do Metamei, ha'Medamei ha'Menasech all share?
(b) What is ...
- ... Metamei?
- ... Medamei?
(a) Rav interprets 'Menasech' literally.
Answers to questions
What does Shmuel say?
(b) Shmuel maintains that, if 'Menasech' was literal, he would be Patur from
Why is that?
(c) We counter this by citing Rebbi Yirmiyah.
What does Rebbi Yirmiyah say
that will resolve Shmuel's Kashya on Rav?
(d) Rav declines to learn like Shmuel, because, if Menasech meant mixing,
then it would merely be a duplication of Medamei.
How does Shmuel deal
with that point?