POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Gitin 69
GITIN 68 & 69 - Sponsored by Rabbi Dr. Eli Turkel and his wife, Jeri Turkel.
May Hashem bless them with many years of Simcha, health and fulfillment, and
may they see all of their children and grandchildren follow them in the ways
of Torah and Yir'as Shamayim!
1) CURES FOR HEAD AILMENTS
(a) For Beruksi, one makes a mixture of eye shadow and ground
dried scorpion; this is applied 3 times (not more!) to
(b) For night blindness - one ties a rope of animal hair to
his leg on one side, to a dog on the other side. Children
bang pottery, an incantation is recited, and he collects
meat from 7 houses, and eats it by the wasteheaps. The
rope is removed from his leg, they blow into the dog's
(c) For day blindness - 7 spleens are roasted on a
bloodletter's flask. The patient requests them from a
healthy person outside the house; after eating them, he
breaks the flask (so the blindness will not return).
(d) For a nosebleed - one finds a Kohen named 'Levi', who
writes 'Levi' backwards;
1. If not, certain other charms may be written by any
(e) For a bleeding mouth: we take straw of wheat to see if
the blood sticks to it.
2. Alternatively, one may burn together fodder...to
make ashes; in each nostril, one inserts a strand of
wool dipped in vinegar are rolled in the ashes;
3. Alternatively, he straddles an irrigation channel
that flows from east to west and takes in each hand
mud from under the opposite foot. He inserts in each
nostril a strand of wool dipped in the mud.
4. Alternatively, he sits under a gutter pipe; others
pour water on him through the pipe and recite a
1. If it sticks, the blood is from the lungs - this can
(f) For ailing inner teeth - one grinds garlic, oil and salt,
puts the mixture on the thumbnail, and surrounds it with
2. If it does not stick, it is from the liver - there
is no cure.
i. Question (Rav Ami - Mishnah): If an animal's
liver was entirely removed, or if the lung was
punctured or lacking, the animal is Treifah.
(We see, a wound in the lungs is more severe
than one in the liver!)
3. If the blood is from the lungs - one cooks a mixture
of beets, etc. and eats it, then drinks strong beer
made in Teves.
ii. Answer (Rav Ashi): If the liver's blood is
coming through the mouth, it must be that the
liver has totally dissolved.
1. The garlic must not touch the flesh, lest it cause
(g) For quinsy (a swollen throat with blisters) - first, one
puts a certain root or leaves in the mouth to prevent
1. One puts a nut's worth of bran, etc. in his mouth to
gather the pus in the blisters;
(h) For an inflammation of the lining of the nose and throat
- one cooks ammoniac, etc. until the ammoniac is fully
cooked (for then it is all fully cooked), and drinks it.
2. Another person blows white cress seeds into the
patient's mouth through a straw, to burst the
3. One takes honey mixed with dirt that was shaded by a
1. Alternatively, he cooks milk of a white goat with
twigs, and drinks it.
2) ALIMENTS OF THE HEART AND DIGESTIVE TRACT
2. If neither is possible, he eats excrement of a white
dog kneaded with balsam. (Preferably, one should
avoid eating excrement - this disconnects the
(a) For a sharp pain - one drinks water poured over an arrow
1. Alternatively, one drinks water from which a dog
drank at night.
(b) For heart palpitations - one eats 3 loaves of soaked
barley bread, then drinks diluted wine.
i. This should be taken from a place where snakes
are not found, for the water was uncovered.
ii. One who drank exposed water should drink a
Revi'is of undiluted wine.
iii. For an abscess, one drinks a Revi'is of
undiluted wine mixed with red aloe.
(c) Question (Rav Acha mi'Difti): That will surely aggravate
(d) Correction (Ravina): This remedy is for a heavy heart;
for a fluttering heart, one eats 3 loaves of wheat bread
soaked in honey and drinks undiluted wine.
(e) For heart pain - one eats mint, cumin and sesame.
(f) For intestinal pain - for 3 days, one eats 100 peppers
with wine each day.
1. Ravin of Nerash used 150 peppers of Bavel to cure
Rav Ashi's daughter.
(g) For intestinal worms - one drinks a Revi'is of wine with
(h) For white intestinal worms - one wraps a certain seed in
cotton cloth, and soaks it in water. One drinks the
water, making sure not to drink the seed, lest it
puncture the intestines.
(i) To stop diarrhea, one eats a fresh mint plant soaked in
water; to relieve constipation, one eats a dry mint plant
soaked in water.
(j) For an inflated spleen - one dries out 7 water leeches,
and drinks them in wine, in the course of 3 days.
1. Alternatively, one takes the spleen of a goat that
has not borne children, sticks it to the inside of
an oven and recites an incantation.
(k) For hemorrhoids - one wraps acacia, etc. in flax or
cotton and puts it on the afflicted area.
i. If he lacks an oven, he can stick the spleen
between the bricks of a new house.
2. Alternatively, one takes the hand of one that died
on Shabbos, puts it on his spleen and recites an
3. Alternatively, he roasts a fish on a smith's coals,
eats it dipped in the smith's water, then drinks
i. A goat that used to drink a smith's water was
found (when slaughtered) to have no spleen.
4. Alternatively, he should drink much wine.
5. Objection (Rav Acha brei d'Rava): If he has much
wine to drink, he will never have the problem to
i. Rather, he should accustom himself to eating
bread each morning - this helps the entire
1. Alternatively, he drinks diluted beer.
(l) For haunches - one takes brine of small fish and rolls it
60 times on each hip.
(m) For kidney stones - one takes 3 drops each of tar oil,
leek juice and clean wine, and puts them in the place of
1. Alternatively, one hangs from the Ever the handle of
a flask, or a red thread spun by a woman of bad
repute, or a louse from a man and a louse from a
2. The patient should urinate on a dry bush.
i. When the stone leaves, it should be kept - it