BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Gitin 72
GITIN 72 (27 Nisan) - has been dedicated to the memory of ha'Rav Shmuel (ben
Aharon) Grunfeld of Jerusalem/Efrat. Rav Shmuel was a truly great Torah
scholar, whose tragic death left all who knew him with an inconsolable sense
1) [line 2] NAFIK MINAH CHURVA - destruction will result from it
2) [line 5] KISUFA - embarrassment, shame
3) [line 23] CHOLETZES V'LO MISYABEMES (CHALITZAH)
(a) If a married man dies childless, his widow must undergo Yibum (the
marriage of a dead man's brother with his wife), as it states in Devarim
25:5-10. Chazal learn from the verses that there is a preference for the
oldest brother to perform Yibum.
(b) If the brother chooses not to marry her, he must perform Chalitzah (a
procedure in Beis Din that absolves her of the Mitzvah of Yibum - ibid.). He
appears before a Beis Din of three and states, "I do not want to marry her,"
after which his sister-in-law approaches him before the elders, takes off
his right sandal and spits in front of him. She then declares, "This is what
shall be done to the man who will not build up a family for his brother,"
and she is then free to marry whomever she wants.
(c) In certain situations (such as that of a doubtful marriage or divorce,
like the case in our Mishnah), the woman may not do Yibum, but may do only
4) [line 25] OMDIN OSO - we assess him
5) [line 43] UL L'GABEI - he went up to [visit] him
6) [line 49] L'VASAR D'NAFAK - after he (Rav Nachman) left
7) [line 1] BE'AL PEH - an orally stated (unwritten) condition
8) [line 5] BEI DINA D'SHARU MISHCHA - the Beis Din that lifted the
prohibition against using oil of a Nochri. This refers to the Beis Din of
Rebbi Yehudah Nesi'ah (a grandson of Rebbi).
9) [line 23] GITA MA'ALYA - it is a valid Get
10) [line 26] KA'ZEH GET - [only] in a case such as this is the Get valid
11) [line 36] IM AMAD, CHOZER - if he (the ill man) stood up (from his bed;
i.e. he recovered from his illness), we assume that he retracted [his
decision to give a Get]
12) [line 45] SHE'NITAK ME'CHOLI L'CHOLI - he was dragged from one illness
to another illness (without having become healthy in between)