BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafEruvin 44
ERUVIN 42, 43, 44 sponsored by a generous grant from an anonymous donor. Kollel Iyun Hadaf is indebted to him for his encouragement and support and prays that Hashem will repay him in kind.
1) [line 2] K'REBBI ELIEZER (TECHUMIN: 4 AMOS ALLOWANCE OUTSIDE OF THE
(a) A person is not allowed to leave his Techum Shabbos, the distance of
2000 Amos (approximately 960 meters [3147 feet] or 1,152 meters [3774
feet], depending upon the differing Halachic opinions) outside of his city
or dwelling place (if he is not in a city) on Shabbos or Yom Tov.
(b) If he does leave his Techum, whether accidentally or intentionally, he
may only walk a distance of four Amos from the location in which he finds
himself. Just as he acquires a Makom Shevisah (place of dwelling) of 2000
Amos at the beginning of Shabbos, so too he acquires a Makom Shevisah of
four Amos when he leaves his Techum.
(c) The Tana'im disagree as to how the four Amos are measured.
different opinions are: (1) a radius of two Amos in any direction (Rebbi
Eliezer); (2) four Amos in any one direction he chooses (Rebbi Yehudah);
or (3) a radius of four Amos in any direction (Rebbi Meir). (Eruvin 45a,
2) [line 10] DOFNAH - the wall of a Sukah
3) [line 18] PEKAK HA'CHALON - (a) a board used to seal a skylight (RASHI
Shabbos 137b); (b) a board used to seal windows; a shutter (TOSFOS ibid.
125b DH ha'Kol)
4) [line 5] BENEI GENANA - constructors of a Chupah (wedding canopy)
5) [line 6] NAGDINHU - he had them beaten
6) [line 8] D'HAVAH SHADYAN - that were laying
7) [line 8] RISTEKA D'MECHUZA - the marketplace of Mechuza, a large Jewish
trading town on the Tigris River
8) [line 9] MI'PIRKEI - from his Derashah
9) [line 12] TIVNA - straw
10) [line 12] ASPASTA - grain in its earliest stage of growth (which is
used as animal fodder)
11) [line 13] B'RESHUS - with permission [of the Halachah], e.g. to
testify about seeing the new moon, to save lives and the like
12) [line 14] KEVAR NA'ASEH MA'ASEH - (lit. action has already been
done) the purpose for which you left your Techum no longer requires your
*13*) [line 21] IM HAYU TECHUMIN SHE'NASNU LO CHACHAMIM MUVLA'IN - that
is, if he is at a distance of 4,000 Amos or less from his original place
14) [line 22] HAVLA'AS TECHUMIN - overlapping Techumin