|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
*1*) [line 2] HADAR BEI - Raba would have retracted his statement, and admitted that Eruvei Techumim are not included in the prohibition of Hachanah (since they do not involve preparation for actual Melachah, but only for making a "Kinyan Shevisah"). That is, it is clear that making an Eruv does not involve Hachanah, for otherwise what difference does it make whether the Eruv was made verbally or silently; even silent preparations are forbidden as "Hachanah."
2) [line 5] SHEMA'ATA MESHACHTEI - he got involved in his learning (and did not realize where he was walking)
3) [line 6] CHAMRA IRCHAS LEI - he lost his donkey
5) [line 1] D'LO L'ZILZULEI BEI - so that they should not treat it lightly and do Melachah on it
*6*) [line 6] AVAL BEITZAH D'IKA L'MIGZAR BAH - that is, there is more reason to prohibit Beitzah on the second day, since people are not well aware that Beitzah is prohibited even on the day it is laid. If we permit it on the second day, people will think that it is permitted on the first day as well. (But nobody will entertain such thoughts if we permit the case of Tevel or Eruv on the second day of Yom Tov.)
7) [line 7] PEIROS HA'NOSHRIN - fruits which fell off a tree by themselves on Yom Tov. Chachamim prohibited their use lest a person violate the Av Melachah of Kotzer by picking fruit from a tree.
8) [line 7] MASHKIN SHE'ZAVU - juice that flowed out on its own from grapes on Yom Tov. Chachamim prohibited its use lest a person violate a Toldah of the Melachah of Dash by squeezing grapes.
9) [line 18] BAR TAVYA - a young deer