|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
 Daf 3a, Rashi DH Kinei
1) [line 1] AMALTERA - cornice, a horizontal strip of stone, wood or plaster crowning a building or entrance, usually molded and projecting
2) [line 3] MILAH - a species of oak from which gall-nuts are collected (O.F. gales - (a) an abnormal growth caused by insects; or (b) the acorns), which are used as a tanning material
*3*) [line 5] DILMA KI TANYA - (Dilma here means more than just "perhaps." The Mishnah *certainly* is referring to the door of the Ulam.)
4) [line 7] DILMA TAVNIS HEICHAL K'TAVNIS ULAM - (a) *perhaps* the shape/design of the Heichal was similar to that of the Ulam; (b) the shape/design of the Heichal was *definitely* similar to that of the Ulam (RITVA, RASHASH)
5) [line 8] RECHAVAH 4 - the Korah must be four Tefachim wide
8) [line 25] D'LO SHALTA BEI EINA - (lit. that the eye cannot reach) it is above the peripheral vision
9) [line 34] KINEI - decorations that resemble birds' nests
13) [line 40] CHAMASAH MERUBAH MI'TZILASAH - the amount of sunlight that enters the Sukah is greater than the amount of shade from the Sechach (which invalidates a Sukah)
14) [line 41] SHEPUDIN - spits
17) [line 9] CHALALAH ASARAH - the space beneath the Korah must measure ten Tefachim
18) [line 11] KIL'AYIM (KIL'EI HA'KEREM)
(b) The Mishnayos in Maseches Kil'ayim specify the distance that one must leave in between different crops.
(c) Rebbi Yoshiya rules that the prohibition of Kil'ei ha'Kerem forbids only the planting of wheat, barley and grape seed at the same time (with one throw of the hand). TOSFOS (Kidushin 39a DH ha'Hu) suggests as his source that the words "Karmecha Kil'ayim" indicate that there was a *mixture* of crops (wheat and barley) planted at the same time that the vineyard was planted. (According to Tosfos to Bechoros 54a DH Dagan, Rebbi Yoshiya is only discussing Kil'ei ha'Kerem. He agrees that if one plants wheat and barley together one transgresses the prohibition of Kil'ei Zera'im, as the Torah states, "Sadecha Lo Sizra Kil'ayim," - "Do not plant different species (together) in your field." (Vayikra 19:19)).
19) [line 12] PIRTZAS MAVOY - a breach larger than ten Amos in the wall of a Mavoy which renders the Mavoy unfit for carrying
20) [line 13] MESHECH MAVOY - the minimum length of a Mavoy
21) [line 24] KARACHAS HA'KEREM (The Baldspot of a Vineyard) When grapevines in the middle of a vineyard die or are uprooted, Beis Shamai and Beis Hilel disagree as to the amount of space that must be exposed in order to permit planting a different crop in the "baldspot."
22) [line 24] MACHOL HA'KEREM (The Perimeter of a Vineyard) When grapevines at the perimeter of a vineyard die or are uprooted, Beis Shamai and Beis Hilel disagree as to the amount of space that must be exposed in order to permit planting a different crop in the barren space.
23) [line 32] RETZUFIM B'ARBA AMOS - when the rows of vines are within four Amos of each other
24a) [last line] SOCHAKOS - wide (lit. laughing) handbreadths, i.e. with the
fingers not touching each other