BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Chulin 126
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach and the
marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is devoted to any *OTHER*
important corrections that Acharonim have pointed out in the Gemara, Rashi
 Rashi 126a DH ha'Bayis Tamei #1:
The words "Ka Salka Da'atach *ad'Ein*"
should be "Ka Salka Da'atach *d'a'Ein*"
 Tosfos 126a DH Im Yesh:
The words "u'Mistama Ein *Mevatlin*"
should be "u'Mistama Ein *Mevatlan*"
 Gemara 126b [line 19]:
The words "Hadar Pashtah, Mechusar Nekivah *Lav* k'Mechusar Ma'aseh"
should be "Hadar Pashtah, Mechusar Nekivah k'Mechusar Ma'aseh"
 Gemara 126b [line 30]:
It appears that
the words "she'Efshar Liga *k'Chut* ha'Sa'arah"
should be "she'Efshar Liga *b'Chut* ha'Sa'arah"
 Rashi 126b DH Shalosh:
The words "Shtayim *mi'Tum'aso* Shel Mes"
should be "Shtayim *mi'Tum'os* Shel Mes"
 Rashi 126b DH v'Hu she'Hishritz:
The words "d'Chashiv Sheretz *Hu*"
should be "d'Chashiv Sheretz"
1) [line 1] A'HAI - about which [part of the Mishnah did Rebbi Yosi rule
that the room or the contents of the drawer are Tehorim]?
2) [line 4] TUM'AH TEMUNAH BOKA'AS
See Background to Chulin 125:4:f.
3) [line 10] ISKUFAH - threshold, lower door-sill
4) [line 11] IM YESH B'TZAVARO POSE'ACH TEFACH, MEVI ES HA'TUM'AH - if the
dog's neck (including the flesh of the neck) is a square Tefach, it makes
everything in the house Tamei (see Background to Chulin 125:4)
5) [line 13] HA'SHAKOF - (O.F. bateil) the part of the lintel that is struck
by the door
6) [line 16] YOTZEIS DERECH SHULAV - goes out through its bottom, rectum
7) [line 20] RO'IN ES CHALAL HA'TUM'AH - we see if the passageway of the
dog's neck (i.e. its throat, not including the flesh of the neck) is a
8) [line 27] U'MAN TANA D'PALIG ALEI? - and who is the Tana who argues with
Rav Yosi (from Daf 125b), [who does not use the term "Noge'a" to refer to
Tum'as Ohel]? (TOSFOS DH Man)
9) [line 1] SHALOSH TUM'OS - that is, Tum'as Maga (touching), Tum'as Masa
(carrying) and Tum'as Ohel (see Background to Chulin 125:4)
10) [line 2] MELO TARVAD REKEV
See Background to Chulin 125:17.
11) [line 3] ETZEM K'SE'ORAH
See Background to Chulin 125:4:c.
12) [line 3] GOLEL VE'DOFEK
(a) There are three basic opinions as to the meaning of Golel and Dofek:
1. Golel refers to the wooden or stone cover of a coffin, and Dofek refers
to its sides. The sides are called Dofek because the cover of the coffin
bangs ("Dofek") on them. (RASHI to Sukah 23a, TOSFOS ibid. DH v'Lo Golel,
ARUCH Erech Gelal, OR ZARU'A 2:424)
2. Golel refers to the gravestone that is above the coffin, which is used as
a marker. At the top and bottom of the gravestone are two smaller stones
that are each called Dofek. (RABEINU TAM, cited by TOSFOS to Kesuvos 4b DH
Ad she'Yisasem ha'Golel)
3. When people used burial vaults rather than graves, they made use of a
large stone or log as a door, which they would roll in front of the
entrance. This door was called a Golel because they would roll ("Golel") it.
They would also use a wedge-like stone or plank, called a Dofek, to keep the
door in place (OR ZARU'A 2:424, quoting RAV MOSHE).
(b) The Golel and Dofek are Avi Avos ha'Tum'ah and are Metamei through Maga
and Ohel (and according to Rebbi Eliezer in Ohalos 2:4, they are also
Metamei through Masa -- see RASHASH to RASHI Sukah ibid. DH v'Lo Golel).
(See also Insights to Chulin 126:6.)
13) [line 10] "[V'CHI YAMUS MIN HA'BEHEMAH ASHER HI LACHEM L'OCHLAH,]
HA'NOGE'A B'NIVLASAH YITMA [AD HA'AREV."] - "[And if any beast, of which you
may eat, dies;] he who touches its carcass shall be Tamei [until the
evening.]" (Vayikra 11:39)
14) [line 14] NEKAVIM - openings (such as the mouth, ears and nostrils)
15) [line 15] KULYAH B'CHELBAH - a kidney that is enveloped by its fat
16) [line 17] CHISHEV ALEHA L'NOKVAH - one intended to pierce it (the Kulis)
17) [line 20] HA'MERUKEMES - a point where the embryo inside the egg is at a
18) [line 21] ACHBAR SHE'CHETZYO BASAR V'CHETZYO ADAMAH - a mouse that is
half flesh and half earth (see Insights #5)
19) [line 24] "[ELEH] HA'TEMEI'IM [LACHEM B'CHOL] HA'SHARETZ, [KOL]
HA'NOGE'A [BA'HEM B'MOSAM] YITMA [AD HA'AREV.]" - "[These are] the Temei'im
[to you among all] creeping creatures; whoever touches [them, when they are
dead,] shall be Tamei [until the evening."] (Vayikra 11:31)
20) [line 38] ACHBAR SHEBA'YAM - the sea-mouse; a type of fish
21) [line 39] CHULDAH - a rat, weasel or marten
22) [line 40] O KALECH L'DERECH ZO - or perhaps turn this way, i.e. argue
the following (this word can be read two ways: (a) KALECH - turn away [from
that argument] and go to [the following argument] (Kalech is a contraction
of "Kaleh" - "stop," and "Lech" - "go to" -- RASHI to Chagigah 14a DH
Kalech); (b) According to the reading KELACH - go, you, to [the following
argument] (Kelach is a contraction of "Lecha" - "go," and "Lach" - "you" --
RASHI to Shabbos 145b DH Kelach)