POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Bava Metzia 59
BAVA METZIA 59 (7 Shevat) - dedicated by Danny & Ramona Schwartz, l'Iluy
Nishmat Yochanan Shabsai ben Yair, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is 7 Shevat.
1) THE EVIL OF DECEIT
(a) (Rabah bar bar Chanah): Making someone blush is worse
than having relations with a doubtfully married woman.
2) IMPORTANT COUNSEL FOR ONE'S HOME
1. (Rava): "Karu v'Lo Damu" - David said, 'If I would
be torn, my blood would not spill';
(b) (Mar Zutra bar Tuvya): It is better to throw oneself into
a lit furnace than to make someone blush;
i. Even when my tormentors are learning the most
difficult tractates, they ask me which is the
death penalty for relations with a married
ii. I answer, strangulation, and he has a share in
the world to come - but one who makes someone
blush has no share in the world to come.
1. We learn from Tamar - "Hi Mutzeis v'Hi Sholchah"
(she would not embarrass Yehudah, by saying that she
was pregnant from him, in order to save herself from
(c) (Rav Chanina brei d'Rav Idi): "Lo Sonu Ish Es Amiso" -
his fellowman, i.e. he also guards Torah and Mitzvos.
(d) (Rav): A man must be very careful not to afflict his wife
- women are prone to cry, and Hash-m is quick to punish
when the victim cries.
(e) (R. Elazar): The gates of prayer were locked from the
time of the destruction of the Mikdash - "Sosam
1. Even so, the gates of tears were not locked -
"Dimasi Al Techerash".
(f) (Rav): Anyone who follows his wife's counsel falls to
Gehinom - we learn from Achav.
(g) Question (Rav Papa): But people say, if your wife is
short, bend down to listen to her!
(h) Answer #1: In matters of the house, listen to her, not
regarding worldly matters.
(i) Answer #2: In worldly matters, listen to her, not
regarding spiritual matters.
(j) (Rav Chisda): All the gates (of prayer) were locked,
except for gates of (one who suffered) affliction -
"Hash-m Nitzav Al Chomas Anach"
(k) (R. Elazar): Hash-m punishes for everything through a
messenger, except for affliction - "U'vYado Anach"
(l) (R. Avahu): Hash-m does not take His eyes off of three
sinners until punishing them - cheats, robbers and
1. Cheats - "U'vYado Anach"
2. Robbers - "Chamas...Al Panai Tamid";
3. Idolators - "Ha'Machisim Osi Al Panai Tamid".
(a) (Rav Yehudah): A man must be very careful not to lack
grain in his house, for this causes constant quarrels -
"Gevulech Shalom, Chelev Chitim Yasbiech".
3) TORAH IS NOT IN HEAVEN
1. (Rav Papa): People say, when barley is finished from
the barrel, quarrels come.
(b) (Rav Chinena): A man must be very careful not to lack
grain in his house, for Yisrael are only called poor on
account of lack of grain - "Va'Yidal Yisrael Me'od".
(c) (Rav Chelbo): A man must be very careful to honor his
wife properly, for blessing is found in his house on her
account - "U'lAvram Heitiv Ba'avurah".
1. Rava advised men of his city to honor their wives,
in order that they will get rich.
(a) (Mishnah - R. Eliezer): The oven of Achnai: rings of
earthenware are assembled, and sand is put between them -
it does not receive Tum'ah;
1. Chachamim say, it receives Tum'ah.
(b) (Beraisa): R. Eliezer gave all proofs in the world why it
is Tahor; Chachamim did not accept them.
4) AFFLICTION OF CONVERTS
1. R. Eliezer: If the law is as me, this carob tree
should show it. (The tree moved 100 Amos.)
(c) R. Noson (to Eliyahu): What was Hash-m doing at the time
of that dispute?
2. Chachamim: We don't bring proof from a tree.
3. R. Eliezer: If the law is as me, the irrigation
ditch should show it. (The water reversed the
direction of its flow.)
4. Chachamim: We don't bring proof from an irrigation
5. 'R. Eliezer: If the law is as me, the walls of the
Beis Medrash should show it. (The walls started
6. R. Yehoshua (to the walls): We are arguing over
Halachah - this is not your affair!
i. The walls stopped falling, to honor R.
Yehoshua; to this day they remain bent, in
honor of R. Eliezer.
7. R. Eliezer: If the law is as me, Heaven should show
8. (A voice from Heaven): Why do you argue with R.
Eliezer - the Halachah always follows him!
9. R. Yehoshua: It is not in Heaven.
i. Question: What does this mean?
ii. Answer (R. Yirmeyah): Once the Torah was given
on Sinai, we do not heed voices from Heaven,
rather we follow the majority of Chachamim -
"Acharei Rabim l'Hatos".
(d) Eliyahu: He laughed and said 'My children have made (My
(e) That day, they burned all the food which was Tahor
according to R. Eliezer (and Tamei according to
Chachamim); they voted and excommunicated him. R. Akiva
volunteered to inform him, lest this be done improperly.
1. R. Akiva dressed in black, and sat four Amos away
from R. Eliezer, who inquired about this. When he
heard, he tore his clothing and removed his shoes
(Rashi - as one excommunicated must do); he sat on
the floor and cried. Olives, wheat and barley were
stricken; some say, even the dough in a woman's
2. Wherever R. Eliezer looked at was burned. R. Gamliel
(the Nasi, who authorized the excommunication) was
on a boat; a storm was about to sink it.
3. R. Gamliel: Hash-m, you know I acted for Your honor,
so disputes will not increase in Yisrael. (The storm
4. R. Eliezer's wife was R. Gamliel's sister; after
this episode, she would not allow him to fall on his
face (to say Tachanun, lest Hash-m avenge R.
Eliezer's pain). One day, she did not stop him (she
erred regarding which day was Rosh Chodesh, on which
Tachanun is not said; some say, she went to give
bread to a poor person at the door); she found him
on his face.
5. His wife: You killed my brother. (Indeed, he died
right after this.)
6. R. Eliezer: How do you know?
7. His wife: I have a tradition from my father's house
- all the gates were locked, except for gates of
(a) (Beraisa): One who afflicts a convert transgresses three
Lavim, one who pressures him financially transgresses
(b) Objection: We must say, the three Lavim of affliction are
"V'Ger Lo Soneh", "V'Chidush Yagur...", and "Lo Sonu Ish
Es Amiso" (a convert is also 'your countryman').
1. Similarly, one who pressures him transgresses "V'Lo
Silchatzenu", "V'Ger Lo SIlchatz", and "Ami...Lo
Sihyeh Lo k'Nosheh" (a convert is also in 'My
(c) Correction: Rather, one who pressures or afflicts a
convert transgresses three Lavim.
(d) (Beraisa - R. Eliezer ha'Gadol): The Torah warns in 36
(some say - 46) places not to mistreat a convert, for he
is prone to return to his former way.
1. R. Noson says, "V'Ger Lo Silchatz...Ki Gerim
Hayisem" - v'Lo Silchatzenu" - do not point out in
someone else a blemish you yourself have.
2. People say - one in a family from which someone was
hanged should not mention the word 'hang', for it
recalls his shame.