|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] "BI'ARTI HA'KODESH MIN HA'BAYIS..." - "I have removed all of the holy things from my *house*... " (Devarim 26:13) - The "holy things" refer to the Ma'aser Sheni (see Background to Bava Metzia 52:3) and Neta Reva'i (see Background to Bava Metzia 55:19) that must be separated from one's crop in the years that they apply. The words in the remainder of this verse include other gifts that must be separated, such as Bikurim (see Background to Bava Metzia 52:37), Terumos, Ma'aser Rishon and Ma'aser Ani (see Background to Bava Metzia 52:3:a-c).
2) [line 2] AFILU CHATZER KOVA'AS - even bringing the produce into one's courtyard renders it "Hukba l'Ma'aser" (see Background to Bava Metzia 87:49)
3) [line 6] HA'MISHTAMER - that is able to safeguard its contents and keep outsiders from taking them (see Background to Bava Metzia 9:10:e)
4) [line 9] KARPIFOS - enclosed areas that are located outside of a settlement, used for storage and other such purposes
5) [line 9] REBBI CHANINA CHOZA'AH - Rebbi Chanina from Bei Choza'ei, a district of Bavel on the caravan road, along the Tigris River and its canals
6) [line 13] TE'ENAH - a fig tree
10) [line 17] CHANUYOS SHEL BEIS HINO - the shops of Beis Hini or Bethania, a town in the vicinity of Pumbedisa in Bavel
11) [line 18] SHE'HE'EMIDU DIVREIHEM AL DIVREI TORAH - [when they decided to be lenient with a Halachah in which the Rabanan were stringent,] they managed to find scriptures to support their lenient opinions
12) [line 2] ASMACHTA
1. From the words of the RAMBAM (Introduction to his Perush ha'Mishnayos) it appears that Asmachta'os are only mnemonic devices. (It is possible that he writes this only with regard to the latter type of Asmachta, Asmachta'os for Isurei Torah.)(d) There are those who write that a Halachah mid'Rabanan that is learned from an Asmachta, and which has a hint in the apparent meaning of the verses, is more stringent than an Isur mid'Rabanan for which an Asmachta from the Torah is not offered. These Halachos were given the status of Halachos of the Torah in certain respects, for example, with regard to the requirement to be stringent in the case of a Safek (PRI MEGADIM, Introduction to Shulchan Aruch Orach Chayim 1:2:d)
13) [line 4] IM CHASAMTA (LAV D'CHASIMAH) It is prohibited to muzzle an ox when it is threshing grain, as the Torah states, "Lo Sachsom Shor b'Disho" (Devarim 25:4). The Sugyos that follow delineate the various aspects of this Lav.
14) [line 6] EIZEHU GORNAN L'MA'ASROS? - At what stage are certain crops considered completed (like a pile of wheat on the threshing floor) to the extent that Terumos and Ma'asros must be separated?
15a) [line 6] KISHU'IM - cucumbers
17) [line 20] ASHKECHAN ADAM BI'MECHUBAR V'SHOR B'TALUSH - [from the verses,] we find [permission for] a person [to eat when he is working] with produce that is still attached to the ground and [permission for] a bull (or other beast) [to eat when it is working] with produce that has already been cut
18) [line 28] ADAM, SHE'ATAH METZUVEH L'HACHAYOSO - a person, who you are obligated to insure his wellbeing, as the verse states, "v'Chei Achicha Imach" - "so that your brother may live with you" (Vayikra 25:36)
19) [line 36] SHE'SACHRO L'CHATEF - he hired him to carry [grapes]
22) [line 44] "LO SACHSOM SHOR B'DISHO." - see above, entry #13