REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Bava Kama 25
BAVA KAMA 25 - sponsored by Hillel Yakov Kagan in honor of the day of his
wedding to Elisheva Tzipora (Lawrence), Sunday 30 Av 5761. We wish you much
Mazel and Berachah -- may you merit to build a Bayis Ne'eman b'Yisrael
(a) What 'Kal va'Chomer' does the Tana learn from Hashem's statement to
Moshe that if Miriam's father were cross with her, would he not lock her up
for seven days?
(b) In that case, why did Hashem not expel her from the Camp for fourteen
(c) In that case, how can Rebbi Tarfon ignore 'Dayo'?
(a) How do the Rabbanan counter Rebbi Tarfon's argument? Is it not true that
the 'Dayo' by Miriam only restricts the 'Kal va'Chomer'?
(b) How does Rebbi Tarfon explain "Tisager Shiv'as Yamim"?
(c) The Rabbanan learn this from the second "Tisager" that the Torah writes
What does Rebbi Tarfon say to that?
(a) What is the practical difference between Keri and Zov?
(b) What is the Halachic difference ...
(c) How does the Tana learn from here that the Keri of a Zav renders Tamei
- ... (besides the number of days involved) between a Ba'al Keri, who renders Tamei whoever or whatever he touches, and a Zav?
- ... between the spit of a person who is not a Zav and his Zera?
(d) What does Rav Papa ask from this Beraisa on our current interpretation
of Rebbi Tarfon?
(a) On what grounds ...
(b) Where does this leave us? Who is the author of the Beraisa?
- ... does Rav Papa reject the possibility that we do not really need the 'Kal va'Chomer' (for Tum'as Maga), because there seems to be no reason why a Zav who saw Keri should be any worse than a Tahor person who saw it? What does he learn from the Pasuk in Ki Seitzei "Mikreh Laylah"?
- ... do we object to Rav Papa's latter argument?
(a) Rebbi Eliezer, in a Beraisa in Nazir, says that the Zera of a Zov is
Metamei by touching, but not by carrying.
Answers to questions
What reason does Rebbi Yehoshua
give for rendering it Tamei by carrying, too?
(b) What problem do we now have with the Beraisa of 'Keri be'Zov'?
(c) So we establish the author as being the Tana of the Mishnah in Keilim.
What does he say about the Zov of a Zav and his spit, his Zera and his
urine? What else falls under the same category?
(d) And how do we know that this Tana does not follow the opinion of Rebbi
Yehoshua in the Beraisa in Nazir?
(a) What do a garment, a leather vessel and wooden vessel all have in
(b) To which of these is a Mapatz comparable? What is a Mapatz?
(c) How do we initially learn that a Mapatz is Metamei by a Meis from a 'Kal
va'Chomer' from little earthenware jars?
(d) Why will a Zav not render a little earthenware jar Tamei?
(a) How might 'Dayo' have applied here?
(b) What does Rav Acha mi'Difta therefore try to prove from this?
(c) In reply, Ravina cites Rav Nachman bar Zecharyah, who already asked
Abaye this Kashya. Ravina replied that the Tana does not really learn Mapatz
be'Meis from little earthenware jars.
From where does he learn it?
(d) And from where does the Tana now learn that Mapatz be'Sheretz is Tamei
(for one day)?
(a) Why are little earthenware jars Tamei by a Sheretz, even though they are
not Tamei by a Zav?
(b) What does the Tana then learn from the 'Gezeirah-Shavah' "Beged ve'Or"
(by Meis) from "Beged ve'Or" (by Sheretz)?
(c) What is the significance of the fact that ...
(d) What Pircha would we have on the 'Gezeirah-Shavah' if it was not Mufneh
from both sides?
- ... the Pasuk in Emor places "O Ish Asher Yiga be'Chol Sheretz" after "O Ish Asher Teitzei Mimenu Shichvas Zara"?
- ... "ve'ha'Noge'a be'Chol T'mei Nefesh" before "O Ish Asher Teitzei Mimenu Shichvas Zara"?
(a) What is the meaning of 'Don Minah ve'Ukeih be'Asra'?
(b) What is the problem with learning Mapatz be'Meis with a
'Gezeirah-Shavah' from Mapatz be'Sheretz, according to those who hold 'Don
(c) How does Rava resolve this problem by quoting the Pasuk in Matos
(following the battle with Midyan) "Ve'chibastem Bigdeichem ba'Yom
(a) On what grounds do we ...
Answers to questions
(b) How do we finally rule it out from the Pasuk (in connection with Keren)
"ve'Chatzu es Kaspo"?
- ... suggest that Shen va'Regel ought to be liable in the Reshus ha'Rabim?
What 'Kal va'Chomer might we have made from Keren?
- ... reject the answer that "u'Bi'er bi'S'dei Acher" (confining Shen va'Regel to the Reshus ha'Nizak) rules this out?