REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Bava Kama 15
(a) What do ...
(b) Having taught us that women are compared to men with regard to ...
- ... Rav Yehudah Amar Rav and Tana de'Bei Rebbi Yishmael learn from the Pasuk in Naso (in connection with the Korban Shevu'as ha'Pikadon by Gezel ha'Ger) "Ish O Ishah Asher Ya'aseh mi'Kol Chat'os ha'Adam"?
- ... de'Bei Rebbi Elazar learn from the Pasuk in Mishpatim ... "ve'Eileh ha'Mishpatim Asher Tasim Lifneihem"?
- ... de'Bei Chizkiyah and Rebbi Yossi Hagelili from the Pasuk in Mishpatim "ve'Im Shor Nagach Hu ... ve'Heimis Ish O Ishah"?
- ... punishments, why do we need a second Pasuk to compare them regarding civil laws?
- ... civil laws, why do we need the first Pasuk to compare them as regards punishments?
- ... both of these cases, why do we need a third Pasuk to compare them as regards the death penalty?
- ... the latter case, why do we need the first two Pesukim?
(a) According to Rav Papa, Palga Nizka (Chatzi Nezek) is Mamon.
Rav Huna Brei de'Rav Yehoshua say?
(b) What is the reason of ...
(c) Why does the Torah then obligate the Mazik to pay only half damages?
- ... Rav Huna Brei de'Rav Yehoshua?
- ... Rav Papa?
(d) What are the Halachic ramifications of their Machlokes?
(a) What does the Tana of the Beraisa mean when he says 'ha'Nizak
ve'ha'Mazik be'Tashlumin', according to ...
(b) Having taught us that 'P'chas Neveilah de'Nizak' in the case of ...
- ... Rav Papa ('Palga Nizka Mamona')?
- ... Rav Huna Brei de'Rav Yehoshua ('Palga Nizka K'nasa')?
(c) The Tana of the Mishnah (later) lists two differences between a Tam and
- ... a Shor Tam, why does the Tana need to have said it earlier by a Shor Mu'ad?
- ... a Shor Mu'ad, why does the Tana need to repeat it by a Shor Tam?
What are they?
(a) According to Rav Huna Brei de'Rav Yehoshua, why does the Tana not add to
the list that whereas a Shor Tam does not pay on his own admission, a Shor
Answers to questions
(b) What is Chatzi Kofer?
(c) We then go on to say that this not really an omission, since the author
of the Beraisa is Rebbi Yossi Hagelili.
What does Rebbi Yossi Hagelili
(d) Why do we find it necessary to immediately retract from our original
explanation (see Tosfos 'I Mishum Chatzi Kofer')?
(a) The Beraisa states 'Heimis Shori es P'loni O Shoro shel P'loni, Harei
Zeh Meshalem Al-Pi Atzmo'. Assuming that the Tana is referring to a Tam ...
(b) What leads us to believe that the Tana is indeed speaking about a Shor
Tam? What does he say in the Seifa?
- ... who will be the author of the first statement?
- ... what will we prove from the second statement?
(c) Why is he Patur in that case?
(d) How do we refute this proof?
(a) What can we infer from the Beraisa 'Zeh ha'K'lal, Kol ha'Meshalem Yoser
al Mah she'Hizik, Eino Meshalem al-Pi Atzmo'?
(b) How do we refute the suggestion that the Tana really implies 'Ha Kemah
she'Hizik Meshalem al-Pi Atzmo'?
(c) On what grounds do we then conclude 'Tiyuvta ve'Hilchesa'?
of Mazik pays by his own admission, in spite of the fact that he pays less
than the full damage, even according to Rav Huna Brei de'Rav Yehoshua?
(a) Based on 'Palga Nizka' K'nasa, what do we rule in a case where a dog ate
a lamb, or a cat, a chicken?
(b) And why can these damages not be claimed in Bavel?
(c) What if the Nizak seized the Mazik (see Tosfos DH 've'I Tafas')?
(d) How do we qualify the previous Halachah? When will the dog and the cat
be obligated to pay full damages?
(a) What will be the Din if, in the previous case, the Nizak asks for a Din
Torah in Eretz Yisrael? Does the Mazik have the right to refuse?
(b) What does Rebbi Nasan extrapolate from the Pasuk in Ki Seitzei "Lo Sasim
(c) What do we do as long as the Mazik fails to carry this out?
(a) The Tana of our Mishnah lists five Tamin and five Mu'adin.
the five Tamin?
(b) Shen is Mu'ad to eat what is fitting for it, and Regel to break as it
walks along. The third Mu'ad is Shor ha'Mu'ad. The fourth is a kind of Shor
that pays full damage even though it did not gore three times.
What is it?
(c) What is the fifth Mu'ad?
(d) Seeing as the Tana lists Keren and its four Toldos as *five* Tamin, why
did he list them as only *one* once they become Mu'adin?
(a) The Tana Kama states that wild beasts (such as wolves, lions, bears,
leopards and panthers) that are privately owned, are considered Mu'ad from
What does Rebbi Elazar say?
(b) Which animal is always a Mu'ad, even according to Rebbi Elazar?
(a) What do we extrapolate from our Mishnah 'ha'Shen Mu'edes Le'echol ... '?
In which domain must the Tana be speaking?
(b) And what can we infer from the next statement 'Beheimah Einah Mu'edes
(c) Having just proved that the Tana is speaking in the Reshus ha'Nizak,
who must be the author of this statement?
(a) Who is the author of the statement 've'Shor ha'Mazik bi'Reshus
Answers to questions
(b) How do we now reconcile the discrepancy in the Mishnah?