|(Permission is granted to redistribute this material as long as the Kollel
header and the subscription info at the end are included.)
CHARTS FOR LEARNING THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Email - email@example.com
Beitzah Chart #2
Beitzah Daf 6b-7a
EGGS FOUND INSIDE OF A SLAUGHTERED CHICKEN:
MAY THEY BE EATEN WITH MILK?
||EGGS THAT ARE NOT
FULLY DEVELOPED (the
yolk is not complete)(1)
||EGGS ATTACHED TO THE
"ESHKOL" (they are
complete(2), but still
mingled with veins)
||EGGS ON THE "SHALAL"
with veins (3))
||FULLY DEVELOPED EGGS,
NOT MIXED WITH VEINS
(including eggs on the
Shalal that nearly
have shells (4))
(1) Rashi defines unfinished eggs as those which do not yet have a completed
yolk (6b, DH Beitzim).
(2) That is, only the yolk is completed, as well as the membrane around it,
but the hard eggshell has not yet formed (Tosfos, DH u'Matza).
(3) These are the "Beitzei Shalal" according to the first Lashon of the
Gemara. However, there are other eggs on the Shalal that are not mingled
with veins as much (Rashi, DH v'Ika d'Amri); it is to those eggs which the
second Lashon of the Gemara refers, as per row 4 of the chart (see also
(4) These are the "Beitzei Shalal" according to the second Lashon of the
(5) When the Beraisa equates the eggs of the Eshkol with meat (thus
prohibiting them from being eaten with milk), it is not referring to the
eggs on the Eshkol, but rather to the Eshkol itself (Rashi).
(6) According to Rebbi Yakov, these eggs are Asur mid'Rabanan to be eaten
with milk. However, with regard to the Tum'ah which arises when consuming a
Neveilah of a Tahor bird, these eggs are considered like normal eggs that
were laid, and *not* as part of the meat itself of the bird. The Rabanan did
not make a Gezeirah that they are Metamei like the meat itself, because of
the principle that the Rabanan try to avoid increasing Tum'ah.
For questions or sponsorship information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org