POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Bava Basra 121
BAVA BASRA 121 (10 Av) - dedicated by Mrs. G. Kornfeld (Rabbi
Kornfeld's mother) to the memory of her father, Reb Yisrael
Shimon ben Shlomo ha'Levi Turkel. Reb Yisrael Turkel loved
Torah and supported it with his last breath. He passed away on
10 Av, 5740.
1) SANCTIFICATION OF THE FESTIVALS
(a) Question: Beis Shamai do not learn the Gezerah Shaveh -
how do they know that three commoners may annul a vow?
2) THE 15TH OF AV
(b) Answer (Beraisa - R. Yosi ha'Galili): "Va'Ydaber Moshe Es
Mo'adei Hash-m El Bnei Yisrael" - the festivals were
said, not Shabbos;
1. Ben Azai says, the Yamim Tovim are said, but the
passage of vows was not said.
(c) Question (Rav Yosi Bar Noson): What does R. Yosi
ha'Galili mean, 'Shabbos was not said'?
(d) Answer (Rav Sheshes): The festivals are dependent on
sanctification (of the months) by Beis Din, but Shabbos
1. One might have thought, since Shabbos is mentioned
with the Mo'adim, it would also need sanctification
by Beis Din - he teaches, this is not so.
(e) Question: What does Ben Azai mean, 'The festivals were
said, but vows were not said'?
(f) Answer: Sanctification of the festivals (through
sanctification of the months) requires experts, annulment
of vows does not require experts.
(g) Question: But "Roshei ha'Matos" is written by vows!
(h) Answer (Rav Chisda): Only an expert can annul a vow by
himself (but three commoners can also annul vows).
(a) (Mishnah - R. Shimon Ben Gamliel): Yisrael did not have
days as joyous as Yom Kipur and the 15th of Av.
1. On these days, girls of Yerushalayim went out in
white clothing. Every girl borrowed, so a girl that
did not have would not be embarrassed.
(b) We understand why Yom Kipur was so festive - it is the
day of pardon and forgiveness, the day the second tablets
(c) Question: What was special about the 15th of Av?
(d) Answer #1 (Rav Yehudah): It was the day that
intermarriage between the tribes was permitted.
1. Question: What Scriptural source did they have to
(e) Answer #2 (Rabah bar bar Chanah): On this day, men of
Binyamin were permitted to marry women of other tribes.
2. Answer: "Zeh ha'Davar (a daughter that inherits must
marry within her tribe)" - this only applies to this
1. "Yisrael Nishba ba'Mitzpah Leimor Ish Mimenu Lo
Yiten Bito l'Vinyamin l'Ishah".
(f) Answer #3 (Rav Dimi Bar Yosef): On this day, the
generation that left Mitzrayim ceased dying in the
2. Question: What Scriptural source did they have to
later permit this?
3. Answer: "Mimenu" - not of our children.
1. "Cha'asher Tamu Kol Anshei ha'Milchamah
Lamus...Vaydaber Hash-m Elai" - until they all died,
Hash-m did not speak with Moshe (as closely as
before Yisrael sinned).
(g) Answer #4 (Ula): On this day Hoshe'ah ben Elah abolished
the guards which Yeravam had set up to prevent people of
the 10 tribes from ascending to Yerushalayim for the
3) SEVEN MEN THAT SPANNED THE WORLD
(h) Answer #5 (Rav Masneh): On this day they were able to
bury those killed in Beitar.
1. (Rav Masneh): On the day they were able to bury
those killed in Beitar, the Sanhedrin in Yavneh
enacted the fourth blessing after a meal, 'ha'Tov
(i) Answer #6 (Rabah and Rav Yosef): This is the day they
cease cutting wood for the fire on the altar (completion
of a great Mitzvah is cause for celebration)..
i. 'Ha'Tov' - Hash-m kept the bodies from
ii. 'Ha'Metiv' - he enabled that they will be
1. (Beraisa - R. Eliezer ha'Gadol): When the 15th of Av
comes, the sun is not so strong, so they stop
cutting wood for the altar (lest it be wormy).
2. (Rav Menashe): It is called the day of breaking the
3. From this day onwards, one who increases learning at
night will live longer; one who does not do so,
4. Question: What does Yasif mean?
5. Answer (Rav Yosef): His mother will bury him (i.e.
he will perish).
(a) (Beraisa): There are seven men whose lives cover all of
time, from the creation of man until today: Adam,
Mesushelach, Shem, Yakov, Amram, Achiyah ha'Shiloni,
1. Question: How could Achiyah ha'Shiloni have been
born in Amram's lifetime - "V'Lo Nosar Mehem Ish Ki
Im Kalev ben Yefuneh vi'Hoshua" (only Yehoshua and
Kalev entered Eretz Yisrael among the men that left
(b) Answer (Rav Hamnuna): The decree did not include Levi'im
- "L'Chal Misparchem mi'Ben Esrim Shanah va'Ma'alah".
1. This excludes Levi'im, who are counted from 30 days
(c) Question: Is it really true that no one from other tribes
entered Eretz Yisrael?!
1. (Beraisa): Ya'ir Ben Menashe and Machir Ben Menashe
were born in Yakov's lifetime, and they entered
(d) Answer (Rav Acha Bar Yakov): The decree was only on men
between 20 and 60.
i. (Beraisa - R. Yehudah): "Va'Yaku Mehem Anshei
ha'Ai ki'Shloshim v'Shishah Ish" - this is
ii. R. Nechemyah: But it says about 36! Rather,
they killed Ya'ir Ben Menashe, who is the equal
of the majority of a Sanhedrin.
1. It says "Mi'Ben Esrim Shanah va'Ma'alah";
2. We learn a Gezerah Shaveh "va'Ma'alah-va'Ma'alah"
from Erchin (pledging a person's designated value to
i. Just as there, above 60 is as below 20 (both
have a smaller Erech than one between 20 and
60), also regarding the decree to die in the