|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] KARKISH BAH REISHEI - he nodded his head (in approval)
4a) [line 11] RA - bad (spoiled, rotten, inferior) produce
6) [line 14] IM EINO KADOSH, NESI'US CHET LAMAH? - [the verse implies that if one separates Terumah from the inferior produce to fulfill the requirement for superior produce, he bears his sin.] If the inferior produce does not become Terumah, why does he bear any sin (i.e. what did he do wrong)?
7) [line 18] LIKET ECHAD KALKALAH SHEL TE'ENIM - a man picked a cluster of
9) [line 19] V'SHEL SHEVI'IS HAYESAH - the figs were grown during the
Shevi'is year (SHEVI'IS)
10) [line 22] EIN ACHAYOS MEKUDASHOS - sisters cannot become married [to the
same man] (ISHAH V'ACHOSAH)
11) [line 23] NOCHRIYOS - women who are not related to each other
13) [line 29] KANSAH MECHETZEH - she acquires half of the property (and not just a portion equal to the shares that the man's sons receive)
14) [line 30] "V'HAYESAH L'AHARON UL'VANAV" - "It shall be given to Aharon and to his sons." - This verse is discussing the weekly distribution of the 12 loaves of the Lechem ha'Panim to the Kohanim, which are to be divided between the Kohen Gadol and the other Kohanim. The Kohen Gadol receives half of them, while the other Kohanim receive the other half.
15) [line 32] BAR CHALUKAH HU - he is fit to receive a share [of the Lechem ha'Panim, like any other Kohen, and thus the verse does not have to specify that he receives a share]
16) [line 32] L'HACHI PARAT BEI RACHMANA - for that reason the Torah explicitly mentions him
17) [line 33] L'MISHKAL PALGA - to teach that he receives half [of the loaves, and not just one portion like the other Kohanim]
18) [line 34] DAYAH SHE'TITOL - it suffices that she should take
19) [line 36] AGVEI SHMUEL PALGA - Shmuel collected half (of the property for the woman, and not just a share equal to that of the sons)
20) [line 38] DEMEI KELILA D'SHADU D'VEI MALKA A'AVULEI V'A'ISTERUGEI - the [tax to collect] money for the crown which the king's house levied upon the rich people and the officers
21) [line 39] NEISVU - they should give
24) [line 42] MESAYE'EI BAHADAIHU - they would help them
26) [line 44] HAREI ALAI MINCHAH ME'AH ISARON L'HAVI BI'SHNEI KELIM - I hereby accept upon myself to bring a Minchah (voluntary flour offering) of 100 Esronim, to be brought in two utensils. The maximum amount of flour that can be brought in one utensil is 60 Esronim (Menachos 103b).
27) [line 5] ANAN SAHADEI - lit. "we are witnesses," meaning that it is as clear to us as if he stated it himself
28) [line 5] L'KORBAN GADOL KA MECHAVEIN - he had intention to bring a large Minchah offering
29) [line 9] SADEH INYAN U'MECHETZAH - the cases of "Sadeh," "Inyan," and
30) [line 9] HA'HU D'SHADAR PISKEI D'SHIRA'EI L'VEISEI - a certain person sent pieces of silk garments to his home
31) [line 10] HA'RE'UYIN LA'BANIM, LA'BANIM - those that are fitting for sons, are to be given to the sons
32) [line 12] KALASA - daughter-in-law
35) [line 15] MI KARU INSHEI L'VRA BENAI - do people call a son, "my sons"
37) [line 19] "U'VNEI DAN CHUSHIM" - "and the sons of Dan were Chushim." (Bereishis 46:23)
38) [line 21] K'CHUSHIM SHEL KANEH - (a) (O.F. troche - cluster) like the thicket of reeds; (b) like the leaves or knots of reeds (RASHBAM)
39) [line 21] "U'VNEI FALU ELI'AV" - "and the sons of Palu were Eli'av." (Bamidbar 26:8)
40) [line 22] "U'VNEI EISAN AZARYAH" - "and the sons of Eisan were Azaryah." (Divrei ha'Yamim I 2:8)
41) [line 28] HA'MUDAR HANA'AH - one who is prohibited to derive benefit from another person because of a vow (Neder)
42) [line 30] HISHBICHU LA'EMTZA - the value of the appreciation of the property is divided equally among all of the heirs
43) [line 31] IM AMRU "RE'U MAH SHE'HINI'ACH ABA" - if they (the older sons) said, "See what our father left [for us, which we are ready to divide and to take our portion]." They said this in front of witnesses or in front of Beis Din, declaring that they are ready to divide the estate and take their portion and produce an income with it. Beis Din, however, tarried in dividing the estate, and thus the sons went ahead and used the amount equal to their portion to produce income.
44) [line 39] MACHMAS ATZMAN - because of their own effort and expenses